What do the numbers mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiamH

Oct 7, 2006
Sengkang
Hi guys ( and gals )

Just want to ask.. Each time I read about some article mentioning a certain camera, there is always this number thingy ( xx - xxxmm ) followed by f/X. I think the f thingy is the aperture size right?
so what do the other one with a range mean? is it the lens? what is the significance of the number?
Someone pls enlighten me. Thanks.

example: canon EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 III usm
mm is the focal lengh 75 is the widest and 300 is the telephoto end.
the f is aperture.f4-5.6. at 75mm its f4 and 300mm its f5.6. :)
its like from end to end.:)

Hi guys ( and gals )

Just want to ask.. Each time I read about some article mentioning a certain camera, there is always this number thingy ( xx - xxxmm ) followed by f/X. I think the f thingy is the aperture size right?
so what do the other one with a range mean? is it the lens? what is the significance of the number?
Someone pls enlighten me. Thanks.

You're talking about camera (point and shoot type) or lenses?

If lenses, then noob117 has pointed it out for you. But on a PnS, the lens focal length is an estimated comparision to a 35mm format as the sensor size on a PnS is much smaller and the actual focal length is different.

Thanks or the reply.

So, what makes a camera good?
does it mean that the wider the range of the focal length, the better it is??
and does it mean that a huge difference in aperture size equate to a good camera also?

Thanks or the reply.

and does it mean that a huge difference in aperture size equate to a good camera also?

A camera is good when it can take wonderful pictures. ;)

Honestly speaking, it all depends on your usage, there is never a BEST camera, else it would have outsold everything else on the market....

Thanks or the reply.

Bro, a camera is only as good as the photographer. It all depends on what you want to achieve and your budget. Longer focal length allows you to take shots from a greater distance, while the short focal length allows you more control of your subject and gives your picture a more nature depth.

Cheers

Kelvin

May I humbly suggest that you go read some artilce about basic photography. You need to understand the whole concept and not just about one aspect of it. The aperture, shutter speed, ISO etc all works in relation to each other.

Thanks to all for taking your time in educating me on photography. Appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.