What do i shoot in Hong Kong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashwin

Jan 30, 2005
Singapore
submit.shutterstock.com
I will be going to Hong Kong on sunday and i will be there until wed. Can anyone suggest any nice location's in HK that i can shoot? I am interested in shooting anything and at any time but i am travelling on budget so i might not be able to travel too far from the main island to shoot.

If there are any local photographers in HK please help me or join me while i am there:)

By the way i will be staying at Le Meridien Cyberport, 100 Cyberport Road. Any great places near by this place too shoot??

Cyberport? Other than a bit of the coast, some port, it is nothing but mountain and private residential.

Nice hotel but far away from everything.

Weather is not so good these days. Just heard flood in Hong Kong. Really depends on what you like to shoot. I enjoyed shooting the shows at Hong Kong Disneyland, but you are not allowed to use flash and thus need high ISO. Another popular place is the Peak. You can see the whole Victoria Harbour. Again, not sure weather permits.

Weather is not so good these days. Just heard flood in Hong Kong. Really depends on what you like to shoot. I enjoyed shooting the shows at Hong Kong Disneyland, but you are not allowed to use flash and thus need high ISO. Another popular place is the Peak. You can see the whole Victoria Harbour. Again, not sure weather permits.

Yeap weather seems to be the problem right now:(
Hope it clears a bit by the time i go there. Victoria peak is quite near to where i stay so hope to get some good shots from there. I am mostly interested in shooting buildings, old heritage sites like temples, cultural locations etc and any other sites. I am interested in tourist loactions too, and any stuff that can be considered as stock!

weather is crap
5 trips in the past 1 year, only 3 days of good weather.... 2 of which I was stuck indoor for some work

Do streets when u visit the night markets.

Yep, the weather is quite unpredictable right now. For shoots, the Peak is a must... provided you can the harbour and skyline, and if weather permits, the nightly laser show off the highrise buildings are also interesting. Quaint street shots are cool too.

I am interested in getting some night shots too, but for that i guess i have to carry my tripod with me. The night markets sounds interesting too, where is that place exactly?

Yea bring a tripod or the photo sellers at the peak will freakin try to rip you off :) it's a nice view too. the last time i went hazy :p wish u good luck this time

weather is crap
Do streets when u visit the night markets.
I am interested in getting some night shots too, but for that i guess i have to carry my tripod with me. The night markets sounds interesting too, where is that place exactly?

Yea the streets anywhere erm... u wan a map i upload one for u later :p Mong Kok is a good place to shoot. Jordan too. like i said above please bring a tripod the night shots at HK is one of the best :)

Yea bring a tripod or the photo sellers at the peak will freakin try to rip you off :) it's a nice view too. the last time i went hazy :p wish u good luck this time

Yea the streets anywhere erm... u wan a map i upload one for u later :p Mong Kok is a good place to shoot. Jordan too. like i said above please bring a tripod the night shots at HK is one of the best :)

Thanks man, i would definetly bring a tripod now:)
Regarding the map if you can do upload it when you have time, if not i will search for it.

What are you looking for? More to the wide or sniping people using teles? Hong kong is fun, the last I was there I was sniping the random hoes outside the sleazy massage parlours.. and scared them off cos they thought i was the Mata with my big camera.

Unless you're sniping chiobus, I suggest you stick to your wide for more street feel.

What are you looking for? More to the wide or sniping people using teles? Hong kong is fun, the last I was there I was sniping the random hoes outside the sleazy massage parlours.. and scared them off cos they thought i was the Mata with my big camera.

Unless you're sniping chiobus, I suggest you stick to your wide for more street feel.

Haha thats cool, shooting chibus with your big gun;)

Well i will be carrying my wide angle and mostly shooting streets and buildings so no time for sniping:nono:

hong kong has a lot to shoot, the people, the streets, just walk around. concentrate on where you want to go, and i'm sure you will find things you want to shoot.
it also depends on what you like, i think the city does not really require planning, and i have never heard of your hotel location, but the offshore islands are a wonderful site for natural landscapes if you are into that sort of thing

Thanks man, i would definetly bring a tripod now:)
Regarding the map if you can do upload it when you have time, if not i will search for it.

Yo Ash was there last dec so map SHOULD be quite updated for the MTR at least travel by the mtr it beats the bus :) and it's super fast here's your photo:
2575709798_d8bbe87792.jpg

if you want it the link is this:)

Oh ya go to ocean park quite a nice place for shots didn't have much time the last time round so no photos :) or at least not much

btw there were days of good weather over the last few days. so hot and blue that it becomes too bright to shoot in the midday if you are outdoors, esp in the mountains etc.

slow shutter shots at victoria harbour. tripod should be strong if you are expecting lots of wind. btw, even with tripod on top of peak, good to have an external flash and bounce card. direct flash from camera not too ideal. you want to flash yourself correctly with the glow of the city behind you.

but i believe if you keep a keen eye, there'll be lots of things to shoot. have fun shooting!

hong kong has a lot to shoot, the people, the streets, just walk around. concentrate on where you want to go, and i'm sure you will find things you want to shoot.
it also depends on what you like, i think the city does not really require planning, and i have never heard of your hotel location, but the offshore islands are a wonderful site for natural landscapes if you are into that sort of thing

My hotel is located roughly behind the Victoria peak near to the shore, so i guess i can get some good natural landscapes too.;)

Yo Ash was there last dec so map SHOULD be quite updated for the MTR at least travel by the mtr it beats the bus :) and it's super fast here's your photo:
2575709798_d8bbe87792.jpg

if you want it the link is this:)

Oh ya go to ocean park quite a nice place for shots didn't have much time the last time round so no photos :) or at least not much

Thanks for the map buddy! I will most likey travel my mtr, the hotel said that they have shuttle service to the main city too.

btw there were days of good weather over the last few days. so hot and blue that it becomes too bright to shoot in the midday if you are outdoors, esp in the mountains etc.

slow shutter shots at victoria harbour. tripod should be strong if you are expecting lots of wind. btw, even with tripod on top of peak, good to have an external flash and bounce card. direct flash from camera not too ideal. you want to flash yourself correctly with the glow of the city behind you.

but i believe if you keep a keen eye, there'll be lots of things to shoot. have fun shooting!

Yeap i will be carrying an external flash with me! Thanks for the tips:)

Sorry, newbie here, how to use the external flash and bounce card to take a photo with the harbour view behind you on the peak? As in the flash is pointing upwards or towards the subject? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.