What do i clean the lens with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelvin-

Jul 28, 2006
I see some dust and slight marks on my lens what should i clean it with?

For dust, u can just use a blower to blow it off.
For stain, you can try to puff a breathe of moisture and then clean it off with a lens cloth.
Use lens fluid if it still don't go off. Avoid using too much strength to prevent
damage to the lens coating.
If your lens can be protected by a filter, have it on at all times.
Avoid physical contact with lens as much as possible.

Inside or outside? If the dust inside the lens, just try to forget it. It will not affect the photo quality. Cleaning the dust inside the lens, even by skillful technician will risk your lens alignment, and after few times of usage, the dust will come back.

If the dust is outside (on front or rear element, outside the lens), just blow it with air blower (hand air blower), and if still there, or you want to clean fingerprint, use microfiber cloth. Do not apply to much pressure as the dust trapped between element and cloth can scratch the coating.

Regards,
Arto.

blower? what's that, where do i get it? how much does it cost?

Depends on which kind of blower u wanna get. I recommend the blue blower which cost ard $18 from MS Colour. ;)

Depends on which kind of blower u wanna get. I recommend the blue blower which cost ard $18 from MS Colour. ;)
i went to MS and bought this 5 in 1 set! 10 bucks but the lint free tissue lens leaves lots of lint when i whipe it with some lens solution on my len. Btw, shd i squeeze the blower hard or not? coz everything i squeeze it hard, theres some moisture ejected out, dirtying the lens.

Gitzmo air blower is just fantastic... 3 size, small, medium, big. I buy at CP peninsula around $10 for medium size. Rocket look a like air blower.

Regards,
Arto

i went to MS and bought this 5 in 1 set! 10 bucks but the lint free tissue lens leaves lots of lint when i whipe it with some lens solution on my len. Btw, shd i squeeze the blower hard or not? coz everything i squeeze it hard, theres some moisture ejected out, dirtying the lens.

I never trust those cheap 5 in 1 set. I rather spend more money getting a better set. I think its time for you to get a better blower if not your lens are gonna suffer. Cheers.

Thanks for the advices guys!

I never trust those cheap 5 in 1 set. I rather spend more money getting a better set. I think its time for you to get a better blower if not your lens are gonna suffer. Cheers.

hahaha, those 5 in 1 set i only use the lens tissue and jumbo blower... the rest are just crap.

for those interested, might want to check out kinetronic cleaning kit. (retailing at CP @ $30 or so)
it came with a anti-static cloth, cleaning solution, speck grabber, form cleaning swabs(imho useless)

how to clean the dust inside?

how to clean the dust inside?
Try to forget it. Unless it is really bad, you won't see degradation on photo because of dust on lens.

You need someone skillful to open your lens and clean it up. You risk your lens' alignment and scratch on lens' coating. After some times of use, dust will come back again.

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.