What digital camera to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jokuan

Oct 7, 2008
Dear all,

I am looking to buy a digital camera for family use. We currently owned a Fujifilm camera which i find totally not good, it has too much noise when the photos are taken indoor or at night. So these are the questions that i wanna seek opinions from you all in the forum.

1) What brand is good for a digital camera?
2) Where to get camera that is cheap, below $500?
3) which digital camera can cancel noise and take nice indoor and night shot?
4) Which digital camera can take wide angle shot or have add-ons for wide angle?
5) would prefer a digital camera that uses rechargerable batt

thanks for answering to my questions.

i take it you have used the flash?

well what i reckon is that save the $500 and go for a dslr setup with high speed lens and flash. sure its a big initial investment but you can use it for years and years to come.

i think save the 500... make it about 700
and get a canon g10 :D

Dear all,

I am looking to buy a digital camera for family use. We currently owned a Fujifilm camera which i find totally not good, it has too much noise when the photos are taken indoor or at night. So these are the questions that i wanna seek opinions from you all in the forum.

4) Which digital camera can take wide angle shot or have add-ons for wide angle?

I presume that you're using a PnS compact camera. To answer your questions:

1) Given today's advanced technology, brand of camera doesn't really matter as they are all able to give you decent photos.

2) Depends on what camera you want. For a PnS cam, there are some going for around $200 also. If you are looking for a better cam; a DSLR or a prosumer cam, try looking at the Personal Classified section. The cameras may be slightly outdated (in terms of model) but they still gets the job done. FYI, I'm still using an old 6MP cam.

3) All cameras can do that, you need to understand the basic of photography first. To get decent shots, you would need a slower shutter speed, hence to reduce hand shakes and movements of your camera, a tripod is highly recommended, or simply use a flash. Noise free is practically impossible. For lower noise level, use a low ISO setting which means that more time is required for light to reach your sensor to capture the picture you want.

4) Most of the cameras with a lens thread can take add-on wide angle adapters.

5) Try looking for a old Fuji 9500/9600 which uses AA batteries. The size and function is about that of a DSLR just that you do not need to invest in lenses which are costly. I think there are newer models in the market that uses AA batteries but I can't advise you on the models as I have not used a prosumer cam for ages.

Last but not least, try using a noise removal software to see if it helps before deciding to change the camera, cos eventually this issue will be brought up again if you do not understand the basics.

Hope these helps.

Last edited:
Dear all,

There are a few good models, read the below reviews and make your judgment.
By the way, LX3 is quite good.
Those good cam, are more then $500

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408enthusiastgroup/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q109superzoomgroup/

Try out the camera and see if you like the placement of buttons, the size, accessibility of the functions (if u wanna try out manual functions)

Dear all,

1) Any brand is good except for Kyocera... because it ended Contax and Yashica... :cry:
2) Personal classified in this forum serves a very good job for this budget...
3) Noise reduction software could do the job if the in-camera NR is not good enough...
4) Also all brand, just watch for threads in front of the lens... no threads no filters...
5) Almost all digital camera is using rechargeable batteries nowadays... no worries bout that...

3) Noise reduction software could do the job if the in-camera NR is not good enough...

There is a software call noise ninja if not wrong...

Yup NoiseNinja is good. The noise reduction filter in Photoshop work as well if you're on a budget.

You may want to leave the noise reduction stage for post processing. I don't like the quality of the in-camera NR

Status
Not open for further replies.