What digital camera ahs the function to let you choose where you want to focus on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstralPrue

Jan 28, 2002
West
Visit site
I think Canon G2 has that function, which other cameras have that function?

Originally posted by AstralPrue
I think Canon G2 has that function, which other cameras have that function?

the C2100UZ has manual focus which allows you to set the distance to focus like at 1m,2m,3m, etc......

i believe those above 1.1k sgd got such functions... if dun have... screw the salesmen

as in different focussing points?

Casio QV2900UX does have it but it's via the BestShot modes.

Nikon CP995 has 5 focus areas you can choose from. I always end up using just the centre of the frame and use focus lock then re-compose.

Originally posted by roygoh
Nikon CP995 has 5 focus areas you can choose from. I always end up using just the centre of the frame and use focus lock then re-compose.

thanks, and that is the optimum way of doing it right? what do you mean by re-compose?

Well, The Minolta 5 gives you 256 location (i think) to spot focus on. Lock and recompose means placing the point you want to focus in the center and focus normally by half-pressing the shutter. Most camera will lock the focus at this stage, i.e. the focus won't change even if you move. Then, you move your camera to compose/frame/take the picture the way you want. This is usually faster and simpler compared to selecting the AF point. (Imagine having to press 80 times on the arrow keys to get to the spot you want).

Originally posted by Flare
Well, The Minolta 5 gives you 256 location (i think) to spot focus on. Lock and recompose means placing the point you want to focus in the center and focus normally by half-pressing the shutter. Most camera will lock the focus at this stage, i.e. the focus won't change even if you move. Then, you move your camera to compose/frame/take the picture the way you want. This is usually faster and simpler compared to selecting the AF point. (Imagine having to press 80 times on the arrow keys to get to the spot you want).

Oh, you mean even with continuous focus mode on, the camera focus will still be locked? i din eexperiment with my camera enuff. :cry:

Oh, you mean even with continuous focus mode on, the camera focus will still be locked? i din eexperiment with my camera enuff. :cry:

Hmmm... WHich camera are you referring to? If you are using continuous AF, then lock and recompose will not work. Half pressing the shuttle will usually engage the Continuous AF and the forcus starts swiming back and forth and continuous AF isn't that fantastic due to digital camera's slow AF compared to SLR (I really miss that <1 sec AF of SLRs). Another way of focusing on off center sunjects would be doing it manually.

Originally posted by Flare

Hmmm... WHich camera are you referring to? If you are using continuous AF, then lock and recompose will not work. Half pressing the shuttle will usually engage the Continuous AF and the forcus starts swiming back and forth and continuous AF isn't that fantastic due to digital camera's slow AF compared to SLR (I really miss that <1 sec AF of SLRs). Another way of focusing on off center sunjects would be doing it manually.

I am currently using a G1. So i should switch off the continous AF?

Continous AF is really useless to me (C700uz owner).. waste battery =p. You can always half-press the shuttle to focus when you need to take the shot. Don't have to focus everytime..

Originally posted by Klause

Continous AF is really useless to me (C700uz owner).. waste battery =p. You can always half-press the shuttle to focus when you need to take the shot. Don't have to focus everytime..

Agree.

Yep..I think you should off the AF. Mine is always off on my G2..find that it is a waste of battery life too...

Originally posted by Klause

Same here with the C-2100uz.

There's always the AE/AF lock and manual focus modes to depend on where u need to take fast action shots w/o wasting time on the AF.

Originally posted by roygoh
Hi just to mention that Nikon 885 also has the feature mentioned above:)

thanks, and that is the optimum way of doing it right? what do you mean by re-compose?

In you intended composition, if the subject is off-centred and the camera only focus at the object at the centre of the frame, you would:
1. place the subject in the centre first,
2. half press and hold the shutter release to activate the focusing
3. keep the shutter release half-pressed to maintain the focusing distance (focuis lock)
4. then change the camera angle back to the original intended angle (re-compose)

Most camera user manuals will explain about this.

For cameras with multiple focusing points, that may not be the optimum way to focus. It is a matter of preference. I am used to the focusing lock method, and find that it is not much more of an effort over changing the focusing point,. That's why I seldom use the additional focusing points on the CP995.

Hope that helps.

-Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.