What determines diameter size of lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WuffRuff

Jan 10, 2007
opp. East Coast Park
I've been wondering for some time now, what determines the diameter size of lens?
Is it the focal length, glass elements, or what?
My lens diameter is huge and I dun like it that way cos then filters are VERY EXPENSIVE! :(
Also makes the lens bulky.

Its mainly aperture and the lens construction itself. Manufacturers also sometimes make a lens range have the same diameter for professionals and users to have easy filter interchangability. Generally, today's auto-focus lenses in the professional range like the f/2.8s have 77mm over all of the zooms like 16-35mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm etc... In the past, Nikon's prime lenses had a standard 52mm filter size for as many as they could make it for. Large aperture lenses need large front elements, some front elements are so big, there isn't much commercially avaliable filters for it like say the Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 or 400mm f/2.8.

Basically, the MINIMUM diameter is max range/biggest aperture.

So a 50mm f1.4 will have a minimum lens diameter of 35.7 mm.

A 300mm f2.8 will have a minimum diameter of 107.14 mm

longest focal length / biggest aperture = minimum front element size

most 70-200 have 77mm front elements
200mm / f2.8 = 71.4mm
minimum is 71.4mm.. but to adhere to industry standards, they choose 77mm since 71.4 is the minimum size

longest focal length / biggest aperture = minimum front element size

most 70-200 have 77mm front elements
200mm / f2.8 = 71.4mm
minimum is 71.4mm.. but to adhere to industry standards, they choose 77mm since 71.4 is the minimum size

Correct me if I am wrong..
The focal length / biggest aperture formula only applies for 200mm and above.. (Canon 200mm f2.8 = 72mm diameter, wider lens with large aperture also have large diameter, eg 24mm f1.4 = 77 diameter)
There is another formula when lens with short focal length kicks in, not sure of the formula myself. Maybe someone else can provides ? :cool:

The focal length / biggest aperture formula only applies for 200mm and above.. (Canon 200mm f2.8 = 72mm diameter, wider lens with large aperture also have large diameter, eg 24mm f1.4 = 77 diameter)
There is another formula when lens with short focal length kicks in, not sure of the formula myself. Maybe someone else can provides ? :cool:

nope... Still applies from what I can see. Take a look at the 50mm lenses, etc. We're just referring to minimum diameter of the lens; if the lens construction or light diffraction limits require wider glass, they'll use wider glass.

But in pure theory, a 24mm f1.7 only needs to be a minimum of 17.14mm wide. Doesn't mean the image will be useable. ;)

The front diameter applies for all tele lenses including medium teles.

For wide angles, because retrofocus (reverse tele) is used, the large front element is to cover the angle and the rear elements are to project the rays to the sensor. Each element has an aperture but it's the element with the longest focal length which dictates the aperture.

The front diameter applies for all tele lenses including medium teles.

For wide angles, because retrofocus (reverse tele) is used, the large front element is to cover the angle and the rear elements are to project the rays to the sensor. Each element has an aperture but it's the element with the longest focal length which dictates the aperture.

Hmm... is there a formula for wide-angle lens then?
My lens is 17-40 f/4, diameter 77mm! So i'm very doubtful the same formula for medium-tele lens applies.

Actually the formula applies to ALL focal lengths: it stipulates the MINIMUM diameter, and a 77mm diameter for a 24/1.4 certain "obeys" the rule.

Actually the formula applies to ALL focal lengths: it stipulates the MINIMUM diameter, and a 77mm diameter for a 24/1.4 certain "obeys" the rule.

Yes. I see what you mean. ;p

My lens is 17-40 f/4, diameter 77mm! So i'm very doubtful the same formula for medium-tele lens applies.

Like what ST1100 mentioned, yes, it still obeys the MINIMUM diameter required is (focal length / smallest f-number) 77mm > 10mm (40/4).

You won't want to buy a L lense with only a 10mm front element would you ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.