What Currency to use in Bali?

Status
Not open for further replies.

westclox

Jan 20, 2007
Hi,
Will be planning to go to Bali for holiday. Are they using USD or rupiah for purchase?

USD is preferred.:D

That's not entirely true. If you go to the shops along the streets, Rupiah is preferred. If you go to big shops to buy expensive stuff, then they don't care which currency you like to pay with.

That's not entirely true. If you go to the shops along the streets, Rupiah is preferred. If you go to big shops to buy expensive stuff, then they don't care which currency you like to pay with.

:bsmilie: , When I was there, they like me pay USD and they pay me back in Rupiah, becasue they make alot from the exchange rate that was set by them. :bsmilie:

unless you are buying expensive items or paying for pre-arranged tour/accomodation/packages etc which have been quoted to you in USD, otherwise Rupiah is accepted.

But note that if you use USD, they generally prefer newer notes.

rupiah, you don't need USD at all.

take note that the rupiah you get from the money changers in sg should be year 2004 and later. just insist on getting new notes.

otherwise, you'll find that your rupiah is 'worthless' over there cos the people only accept notes in the newer series.

When i was there, I just use RP all the way. It's cheaper this way. They'll quite likely to carrothead you if you use USD.

Really? There's plenty of old rupiah still in circulation. I swear some of the Rp1000 notes on my table now are at least 10 years or more. :bsmilie:

The main problem is USD. Many money changers and even large established banks are known to reject US notes from a certain series/year. Further more, notes exchanged must be crisp and new. No folds, creases, marks etc. Any of the above, and they will try to give you a less than favourable rate. Quoted reasons include them wanting to sell it back to US Treasury Dept. (???) No logic to me. The moment you keep the money in your wallet it is bound to have a fold. Unless you seal them all up into a box or something. But hey... this is Indonesia for you.. :bsmilie:

Oh yes. I forgot to add. Just bring SGD to exchange. Generally SGD - IDR conversion is much better in Indonesia itself. They like our dollars. Heh.

really? don't smoke me ok? I'm thinking of going to indon soon.

Why would I smoke you? I've been living here in Indonesia for the past 10 months. Just sharing some of the things I've learnt.

Oh and as mentioned by some, do bring some USD in case. There are instances where they may require you to pay in USD. One example would be air tickets (although I don't think you would be purchasing any here).

Maybe a 70:30 mix would be good. Because if they quote you a price in USD, and you only have rupiah... well. You are suffering a two-fold conversion loss at a poor exchange rate. You lose some when SGD -> IDR. Lose again (even more this time) when IDR -> USD.

This is one of the main reason why I pay for my air tickets in USD cash that is exchanged back in Singapore.

Thanks for the kind advices. Will be getting USD n Rupiah and of course SGD!

Status
Not open for further replies.