what could have caused this? long exposure issue...

tecnica

Dec 26, 2004
IMG_0916-.jpg

firstly i apologise for the slip shod pp, as i was trying to get this photo out asap.

not sure if you guys can see there is this streak of darker blue running down from the sky, somewhere about top left portion.

then there is this blue cast at the right side of the sea, near the horizon.

few of my other photos also did exhibit such problem.

my setup as below:

-Canon 7D + 10-22
-3rd party square filter holder from OP(Lee Foundation kit replica)
-Lee Big Stopper
-Hitech 0.6 GND
-10mm/ISO 100/f9.0/30s

please do help me in identifying the problem and avoid OT-ing in this thread. Thanks. :sweat:

Last edited:
My guess: Uneven surface of GND or the Big Stopper? Uneven surface may cause uneven distribution of light to the particular area. If according to my guess... Try to shoot with only one of the item, as in shoot with only the Big Stopper to see if problem exists? If it doesn't I think it's the GND filter that is causing the problem.

My guess: Uneven surface of GND or the Big Stopper? Uneven surface may cause uneven distribution of light to the particular area. If according to my guess... Try to shoot with only one of the item, as in shoot with only the Big Stopper to see if problem exists? If it doesn't I think it's the GND filter that is causing the problem.

i had the hitechs for quite some time, no issues with it at all. yesterday got the big stopper and had this colour cast prob. hmmm.

this is not light leak right?

i had the hitechs for quite some time, no issues with it at all. yesterday got the big stopper and had this colour cast prob. hmmm.

this is not light leak right?

I doubt it's light leak....as those light leak cases I saw before on other websites are loss of color instead of a more saturated color. Unless the light leak is so jialat that only that part never leak :bsmilie:

OTOH, some flaws of the filters are only seen in long exposure. As sometime ago, during a sharing session, I was told that for IR, the uneven surface of filter may cause the picture to have different colors/exposure on some part of the picture. So I though this might be the case too..

You may want to try using the Big Stopper only and see if the problem persist.

Sorry to sound obvious but is there a smudge at that particular area on the filter?

I doubt it's light leak....as those light leak cases I saw before on other websites are loss of color instead of a more saturated color. Unless the light leak is so jialat that only that part never leak :bsmilie:

OTOH, some flaws of the filters are only seen in long exposure. As sometime ago, during a sharing session, I was told that for IR, the uneven surface of filter may cause the picture to have different colors/exposure on some part of the picture. So I though this might be the case too..

You may want to try using the Big Stopper only and see if the problem persist.

good to know that it is not light leak as i thought it maybe due to the 3rd party holder.

will try it out again next week. if it persist, i wonder is it possible to RMA it?

Sorry to sound obvious but is there a smudge at that particular area on the filter?

no, as i cleaned my filters before using them.

tecnica said:
good to know that it is not light leak as i thought it maybe due to the 3rd party holder.

will try it out again next week. if it persist, i wonder is it possible to RMA.

not sure if you can rma filter... I also have yet to try out my b+w 10 stop..

without photo, I will make a few guess here. if it is light leaking, probably sunlight is hitting the exposed part of the filter.

without photo, I will make a few guess here. if it is light leaking, probably sunlight is hitting the exposed part of the filter.

i posted the photo already~?

Do you cover your view finder when shooting in bright sunlight? It looks like light leak through the viewfinder.

Do you cover your view finder when shooting in bright sunlight? It looks like light leak through the viewfinder.

doubt it is light leak. judging by the shadow on the ground, the sun is on the side.

btw light leaks doesn't happen that easily in normal shooting situations and modern cameras.

yes, i covered the VF when taking the photos.

used LV almost exclusively, to compose my photos.

why i like cannot see anything wrong? o.o

perhaps you need to change your specs bro.

@TS, try shooting with just the Big Stopper to see if it's the same.

but to me, perhaps it's just reflections?

will do, prolly next weekend.

i think i post 1 or 2 more pics tmr.

Seems like the issue lies with the big stopper...

Try doing a long exposure on a white piece of paper to see if it's even.

This doesn't look like a light leak from viewfinder.

It may be a smudge on one of your filters. Did you clean them before using?

If it's fine, the next question is, have you been cleaning your sensor? Is this a new issue, or have you used it previously with no such problem?

If you look through older pictures with the same combination and the smudge is constantly there on the same spot or shifts slightly then the problem is with the filters. If not something changed. It could be cleanliness, it c ould be smudging on sensor, it could be anything. Even on lens rear element and front element. Have to check all these before we can be sure of what the problem is.

Last edited:
By the way, I see your streak, but I don't see any issue with teh blue cast near the horizon. Sometimes the water bunches up because of the currents and you get such things.

I don't have this problem until yesterday I used the big stopper.