what common focal length was used to shoot bird during the film days.

what common focal length was used to shoot bird during the film days.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

denniskee

Oct 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
couldn't get answer else where, so decided to try with this poll.

pls note :

1) this is a poll for those regular bird shooter during the film days, if you started photography with digital and have no experience in shooting birds using film cameras, pls do not vote here.

2) if you shoot with TC, than pls select 400mm if you had use

300mm + 1.4x TC = 420mm

3) pls select 800mm if you had use

400mm + 2x TC = 800mm

pls note i am not trying to make people angry with (1), but i only want to make sure in the end, i get the correct feedback on the common focal used to shoot bird during the film age.

denniskee said:
couldn't get answer else where, so decided to try with this poll.

pls note :

1) this is a poll for those regular bird shooter during the film days, if you started photography with digital and have no experience in shooting birds using film cameras, pls do not vote here.

2) if you shoot with TC, than pls select 400mm if you had use

300mm + 1.4x TC = 420mm

3) pls select 800mm if you had use

400mm + 2x TC = 800mm

pls note i am not trying to make people angry with (1), but i only want to make sure in the end, i get the correct feedback on the common focal used to shoot bird during the film age.
It really depends on what kind of birds you are trying to capture.. birds in flight? nesting bird? What species? So there is no right answer to the question. Most of the time I shoot at 400mm and I crop during enlargement because that's the longest lens I had then. Other times when I am able to get close, I even use 200mm. Then again, I don't consider myself a regular bird shooter, so if you think my vote is not a good representation, take one vote out of 400mm. :)

well, the question is as simple as it can get, ie, when you go out with an objective to shoot bird, what lens you bring most of the time?

would you bring 200mm? how often can you get so close to the nest or bird? if you so happen to be able to get so close to them to use 200mm most of the time, than sorry, i did not cater to the length. most of the time i hear 300mm also not long enough.

this is why this poll.

i think the axim since the days of manual focus has been, the longer the better. Most if not all would probably use a 600 f4. I don't think that has changed. Do look at guys like art morris and moose peterson.

denniskee said:
well, the question is as simple as it can get, ie, when you go out with an objective to shoot bird, what lens you bring most of the time?

would you bring 200mm? how often can you get so close to the nest or bird? if you so happen to be able to get so close to them to use 200mm most of the time, than sorry, i did not cater to the length. most of the time i hear 300mm also not long enough.

this is why this poll.
Like I mentioned, yes, if you have no idea what you are shooting, 300mm is rarely enough. But for people who go with an objective, they would already know where the nest is and how close they can get to it. They will build hides and wait....

As for birds in flight, it is nearly impossible to use a long lens unless you are shooting from quite far away using a tripod. I have tried handholding 300/4 and I find it a challenge already.

I know there are a few regular birders here in the forum and probably thay have voted. Maybe they might like to make some comment.

I dunno about the rest but short of straight overhead flights, i normally use my long lens for flight shots. Mounted on a tripod as mentioned, and with a gimbal head, it is usually more stable and every bit as flexible as handholding. For handheld, i tend to use a 400mm equivalent (70-200mm x2).

Getting into birding?
I choose the 500mm, particularly because its lighter than a 600f4 and gives you the option to go 600mm if need be.Stacking of TCs will still work the AF on pro bodies.MTF results also show that the 500 is somewhat sharper than the 600.By how much?that i dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.