what choice other than cinema display...

Status
Not open for further replies.

qsecofr

Feb 16, 2004
hi:
2 sets of 24" cinema display just delivered to my office today. wow first impression...
the moitor really produced crispy image and sharp color... can really see the different compare to the normal lcd monitor. but the price is really too high for me.
so my question is ...any other brand or model in the market that can compete with the cinema display in term of the quality... but less expensive? :)

cheers

both dell and hp lcds seem quit good but are they available in SG?

both dell and hp lcds seem quit good but are they available in SG?

Since it is not urgent, why not wait for next PC show? I'm sure there's great deal from DELL 24" Ultrasharp. I last heard about 700+? I cannot rem... =)

Just my 2 cts worth

I've learnt through experience that for monitors, you really can't just depend on the specs. I know apple may not be the best, but it is pretty good. If you have an apple monitor around, you can easily see how bad the others are. Usually, the other monitors are overly contrasty, the there is strong red saturation. Those makes for a punch image when playing games or viewing movies, but not very suitable for editing photos. The LC2000 comes pretty close. But if you have it beside an apple monitor, you can see that there is a green cast in the dark areas.

Dell

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-6272

No idea why Singapore dun have. I rem it is sold during Comex, I cannot rem.

Im using the older model. Back then, 900+

that's 2408WFP, its been around for >1 year locally. recently, it had been replaced with U2410, cheaper price and a better(theoretically) LG.Philips H-IPS panel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you think apple LCD is the best, you are just like the other who fall into the TN panel's manufacturer marketing lies--dynamic contrast of ~50,000? 16.7million color? 2ms pixel response? in this apple case, they have even more powerful marketing team and die-hard fans to support anything apple stamp its brand on.

looks beyond the pretty case, see the real picture quality and you'll know they are others who make equally good hardware with a much easier to digest price. like the Philips 240PW9EB, using the same panel as HP LP2475W--LG.Philips H-IPS panel(LM240WU4). the LP2475W offer more input but with a higher price. btw, Apple 24" is using LG.Philips H-IPS (LM240WU6), same as others but with LED backlight.

assuming HP, Philips and dell are all using the same panel, the U2410 combine the features of HP and the price of Philips.

sorry for the rant, peace. :angel:

Last edited:
samsung make some really nice ones...

thanks for all comments. i m not rushing to buy and can wait for some discount offer first.;)

Those are just ordinary LCD displays. for photography, IPS is the way to go.

Eizo is another brand to consider

looks beyond the pretty case, see the real picture quality and you'll know they are others who make equally good hardware with a much easier to digest price. like the Philips 240PW9EB, using the same panel as HP LP2475W--LG.Philips H-IPS panel(LM240WU4). the LP2475W offer more input but with a higher price. btw, Apple 24" is using LG.Philips H-IPS (LM240WU6), same as others but with LED backlight.

Great info. I always wonders which are the other IPS screens around other than the Apple and HP 24". I am wondering why LG does not have an IPS LCD?

Eizo is another brand to consider

This is expensive and not available in Singapore (I think)

that's 2408WFP, its been around for >1 year locally. recently, it had been replaced with U2410, cheaper price and a better(theoretically) LG.Philips H-IPS panel.

The Dell U2410 is a PVA (not IPS) screen.

Samsung do produce some PVA LCD.

Some say IPS is better than PVA for the shadows area. I can't tell the difference.

Last edited:
The Dell U2410 is a PVA (not IPS) screen.

Samsung do produce some PVA LCD.

Some say IPS is better than PVA for the shadows area. I can't tell the difference.

Dell U2410 IS using H-IPS panel, in fact, I'm using it right now. where did you get the info that it isn't? :dunno:

some reviews:

TFT CENTRAL, many reviews and infos about LCD panels
FlatpanelsHD, you can search the panel used on LCD here. German site though, the English pages will update later, use online translation if can't read German.
a short/brief user review.
HWZ forums discussion, up to date local user feedback and price/offer. like currently, Dell is having difficulty delivering the U2410 to user--2~3 weeks instead of few days.

VA panel generally have better black thus the contrast ratio.

Last edited:
im using 20in cinema in my line of work, pretty crisp color reproductions but calibrations can be an ass sometimes.

currently the top 2 24inch panels in the market for color accuracy is the LaCie and the HP Dreamcolor

IMHO, apart from fanboyism and propaganda, apple panels are next to hopeless when it comes to color accuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.