What CF card U using ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

u2nofear

Feb 25, 2006
1.What CF card U currently using now ?

2.What next CF (Extreme III , Lexar 133x, trancend 120x , A-Data 120x or......) you will purchase ? why ?;p

i'm using Lexar 80x WA now, felt slow when writing RAW. Don't know will improve "Much %" if using high speed CF card; Plan to buy ExtremeIII but don't know other brand performance.Any recommendation ?:embrass:

E-1

1) 1GB Hagiwara. The Oly promo bundle
2) 1GB Lexar 80x WA
3) 4GB IBM Microdrive. Ripped out from a Creative MP3 ;p

I use the 4Gb mostly these days as I am lazy to swap CF cards. I can fill up the whole 4Gb and my battery still has about 35-40% juice left.

Using: Sandisk Extreme III 2GB + Sandisk Ultra II 512MB (Oly promo)
Next to buy: Extreme III 4GB
Why? It is fastest I know of and I am happy with it.
Camera: Olympus E-500
I am an 'Only RAW' person.

OlyFlyer said:

you already got Extreme III ; did you try other brands like Lexar 133x for comparison on E-500?

VR Man said:
E-1

1) 1GB Hagiwara. The Oly promo bundle
2) 1GB Lexar 80x WA
3) 4GB IBM Microdrive. Ripped out from a Creative MP3 ;p

I use the 4Gb mostly these days as I am lazy to swap CF cards. I can fill up the whole 4Gb and my battery still has about 35-40% juice left.

Microdrive shooting in RAW will be slow than normal CF card ??

u2nofear said:
Microdrive shooting in RAW will be slow than normal CF card ??

Maybe.

The microdrive was given to me free:)

I dont really need the write speed in most of my photographic situations. If I need to, there is always my 1GB Lexar.

The last time I required speed was with the FL-50. The recycle time was the bottleneck, not the microdrive. I recently met a cool dude at a camera store and he suggested using an external powerpack, that seemed to solve his problem.

BTW, I shoot 90% in M mode. I use my E-1 like an FM2.

OlyFlyer said:
You should be considering ExtremeIII 8GB instead ;p

u2nofear said:

Curious, I use a Lexar 80X 1GB and Kingston Elitepro 2GB with the E-500 and both cards only take 2~3s to write when I shoot RAW.

Certainly, the lastest >100X cards such as the Sandisk ExtremeIII will be faster as the E-500 will take advantage of the faster cards, unlike the E-1, which tops off around 40X, no matter how fast a card you use.

espn said:
You should be considering ExtremeIII 8GB instead ;p
No, camera is at maximum speed already with my 2GB and I don't think 8GB is faster, just bigger and more expensive. I am considering a Hyperdrive to flush the CF when it is full. That way I get a whole lot more GB for the money. In fact, for the money I save I can buy an other Extreme III 2GB also. That way I would be covered for the two minutes it takes to empty my CF onto HD and wouldn't need to use my Ultra II at all, just keep it as a spare for a spare.

tao said:
Curious, I use a Lexar 80X 1GB and Kingston Elitepro 2GB with the E-500 and both cards only take 2~3s to write when I shoot RAW.

Certainly, the lastest >100X cards such as the Sandisk ExtremeIII will be faster as the E-500 will take advantage of the faster cards, unlike the E-1, which tops off around 40X, no matter how fast a card you use.
It seems that even E-500 tops off at around 10MB/s and not using the Extreme III CF full capacity write speed, which is 20MB/s. It can also be so that the communication protocol used between CF and camera is very primitive, camera verifying each byte sent to CF, which would cut the actual write speed in about half. See measurments here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/page10.asp

1.What CF card U currently using now?
2 x LEXAR, 512 MB.
1 x SANDISK Ultra II, 1 GB.
1 X SEAGATE CompactFlash Photo Storage Hard Drive, 8GB.

2.What next CF (Extreme III , Lexar 133x, trancend 120x , A-Data 120x or......) you will purchase ? why ?
No plans for any CF purchase for the time being. Enough capacity as of now.

1.What CF card U currently using now ?
I've got a
1) Kingston 512mb CF
2) Lexar 1gb 80x WA CF
3) Kingston 1gb Elite Pro CF

However, I only use one at a time, and mostly it's the Lexar. Why? because I only use the others when I'm out taking photos and it becomes full.

2.What next CF (Extreme III , Lexar 133x, trancend 120x , A-Data 120x or......) you will purchase ? why ?

I'm not intending to buy another CF. Already the purchase of the Kingston 1gb CF was considered beyond what I'd normally use, but it's nice having that extra capacity just incase. but for now, it's more than enough.

VR Man said:
Maybe.

The microdrive was given to me free:)

I dont really need the write speed in most of my photographic situations. If I need to, there is always my 1GB Lexar.

The last time I required speed was with the FL-50. The recycle time was the bottleneck, not the microdrive. I recently met a cool dude at a camera store and he suggested using an external powerpack, that seemed to solve his problem.

BTW, I shoot 90% in M mode. I use my E-1 like an FM2.

I use quantam QB1 battery pack on fl 50

Canew said:
1.What CF card U currently using now?
2 x LEXAR, 512 MB.
1 x SANDISK Ultra II, 1 GB.
1 X SEAGATE CompactFlash Photo Storage Hard Drive, 8GB.

No plans for any CF purchase for the time being. Enough capacity as of now.

8GB is much:bigeyes: .... but speed will very slow ?

Status
Not open for further replies.