What causes these shadows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shodan99

Nov 5, 2004
Hello all,

What causes these shadows at the bottom of the frame? This was taken using 18-70mm DX lens with flash. From my experimenting, it appears that the shadow is larger at 18mm focal length than at 70mm focal length. The addition of the lens hood makes it even more noticeable, it can even cover almost half the frame.

Can anyone suggest any reason for this shadow to appear? Since that the shadow is larger on the 18mm focal length than on the 70mm focal length? This is really confusing me... :dunno:

Edit: pardon the mess on my table... :sweat:

shodan99-DSC_0068.jpg

looks like your lens has cast a shadow when you used the flash.

solution move back abit or get a sb800

Shodan99 said:
Hello all,

What causes these shadows at the bottom of the frame? This was taken using 18-70mm DX lens with flash. From my experimenting, it appears that the shadow is larger at 18mm focal length than at 70mm focal length. The addition of the lens hood makes it even more noticeable, it can even cover almost half the frame.

Can anyone suggest any reason for this shadow to appear? Since that the shadow is larger on the 18mm focal length than on the 70mm focal length? This is really confusing me... :dunno:

Edit: pardon the mess on my table... :sweat:

The built in flash is in a position that the lens is in the path of the light,
get an extrnal flash. The built in flash is mostly good for subjects about 1-1.5m away.
Experiment with this, I am only guessing.
The lens hood is to block light from the front to prevent lens flare
and only makes the lens bigger and thus casts a bigger shadow.

Looks like the lens hood is in action, built in flash generally covers up to 28mm IIRC, anything wider, you need an external speedlight.

if you're using the D70 with the build in flash and the 18-70 lens kit with lens hood on, confirm it is the lens hood. I've tried it and confirmed it. I think ortega and espn are both right. When I'm shooting at a subject at least 2m away and the lens is anything other than 18mm, it is OK.

Yah its the d70 with kit lens... So it that case I have to watch out for it in the mean time... until I get an external flash unit.

Then its time to buy buy buy haahaa ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.