what caption shld i give to this photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_Yeo

Feb 27, 2004
Sengkang
www.boo.sg
chop.jpg

1) what caption shld i give to this photo?

2) or shld i just trash this pic?

i happened to be at chinatown that day and saw this man concentrating on chopping the sugarcane and i just snap it....i know the obvious error of the string on his head!

IMHO, trash the pic?

Because you can't find the story behind the picture?

taku1a said:
Because you can't find the story behind the picture?

yeah...I guess, thats my sentiments too. No offence, just my opinion. :)

Paul_Yeo said:
if i can't find story, can i "force" a story out? :sticktong
well i guess you can :) , maybe put all the photos taken that day together and write a story about it. how does that sound?

some photos tell stories on their own, others need some form of support in words.

IMO, this belongs to the latter. if u dont know what caption to give, trash it.

u r the one taking the picture. what makes u want to take it at that time? what do u want to express with this picture?

Yildun said:
some photos tell stories on their own, others need some form of support in words.

IMO, this belongs to the latter. if u dont know what caption to give, trash it.

u r the one taking the picture. what makes u want to take it at that time? what do u want to express with this picture?

I see that his is very concentrated in chopping the sugar cane loh.
He got work commitment and put in effort despite the tonnes of sugar canes in front of him. :sweat:

Paul_Yeo said:
He got work commitment and put in effort despite the tonnes of sugar canes in front of him. :sweat:

if you think there is a story behind a photo u take, and you like it ... then keep it ... else trash it. asking others whether to trash or not, is not really a good idea, coz u will end up getting different views from different people. i always believe 'like what you shoot and shoot what you like' ...

err ... and no ... i'm not gonna say 'to trash or not to trash' :bsmilie:

The expression on the face is not "concentration", but more of the bored look...

you can't force a story out of nothing, but you can find out more about your subject which can explain his expressions better. what is is name? is demand for sugar cane dropping? that might explain the sombre look on his face. giving insights into the sugar cane business would make your pic more engaging to the viewer. of cos if the man is just feeling bored, then it's a different matter altogether.

Paul_Yeo said:

I kinda understand your visualisation. There were instances that you did caught that moment with your mind's eye but your camera shot did not quite click at that moment and miss that reaction maybe by a fraction?

Maybe it would have worked if the picture was tightly cropped (bit of the arm,cleaver,facial expression, sugar cane in hand, stack of sugar cane), even better if there were some sweat on his brow(okay you can't setup a shot like that but maybe it was a hot evening heheh) or his eyes was caught at the moment of more intense focus as his cleaver was like already making a cut into the sugar cane. That might have put across that storyline you just mention more in focus. Sometime in a situation like this where you know there will be the repeat of the same action ( since he does have to cut alot of the sugar cane) maybe you should take abit more time and watch his facial action so that you get abit more predictive with it and then fire off a a series of shots. Hopefully one of them will capture the right "expression+action". Just my bit...

"another murder case" ?
:p

Paul_Yeo said:
if i can't find story, can i "force" a story out? :sticktong

Then it's a piece of public sculpture, not a photograph :)

Very few public sculptures that I have seen can do without a caption to explain what they symbolise. They always give me the impression that the sculptor came up with a shape they like and then try to "force" a story out.

Paul_Yeo said:
chop.jpg

1) what caption shld i give to this photo?

2) or shld i just trash this pic?

i happened to be at chinatown that day and saw this man concentrating on chopping the sugarcane and i just snap it....i know the obvious error of the string on his head!

Call it 'Cane Sculptor' ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.