What Canon Lense is best for Travel Photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowvx

Oct 23, 2008
Singapore
Hi all,

A noob here.

Just wondering what Canon lense is good for travelling photography? I am going to Europe in Jan'09. And what other accessories do I need?

Hope to hear some comments!

ClubSNAP is a greeaaaaatttt site!

Cheers!

Last edited:
i guess europe had low humidity, thus no need for dry box. the ef-s 18-200mm would be a good lens for travel.

18-200mm $1xxx.
55-250mm $3xx.

depending on what you intend to shoot vs chance of spoil/break the lens. the 55-250mm is a decent performer for its price and if in the event it is spoilt not so much heart pain.

18-200mm $1xxx.
55-250mm $3xx.

depending on what you intend to shoot vs chance of spoil/break the lens. the 55-250mm is a decent performer for its price and if in the event it is spoilt not so much heart pain.

Alrite... Thanks!!! Wondering if I really need a flash?

Alrite... Thanks!!! Wondering if I really need a flash?
if you have the budget why not. You will eventually get one anyway depending on your interest level.

if you have the budget why not. You will eventually get one anyway depending on your interest level.

If it's mainly for shooting landscapes, are the above lenses u suggested still good? Sorry, I am really a noob in photography...

Anyway, i will be there for 5 months. On student exchange... :)

If low humidity dun think i need dry box.

If it's mainly for shooting landscapes, are the above lenses u suggested still good? Sorry, I am really a noob in photography...
depends if you have a dedicated budget for a wide angle lens because other then that would be a wide angle adapter. best is to try what lens you have and see if you are okay with the wide angle performance.

everyone was noob at some point. I went to library, picked a book and started experimenting on my DSLR. Really depends what kind of photography skill you want to pickup. I am more towards the news reporter/paparazzi style.

If you just recently bought a canon camera can sign for a free camera course conducted by canon.

depends if you have a dedicated budget for a wide angle lens because other then that would be a wide angle adapter. best is to try what lens you have and see if you are okay with the wide angle performance.

everyone was noob at some point. I went to library, picked a book and started experimenting on my DSLR. Really depends what kind of photography skill you want to pickup. I am more towards the news reporter/paparazzi style.

If you just recently bought a canon camera can sign for a free camera course conducted by canon.

Haha... Nope... didn't buy a new set... Bought a 2nd hand 400d instead... Wanna pick up photography as a hobby... :)

If really into landscapes, try out the 10-22mm.

If you want a good walkaround which can cater to landscape too, 17-55mm.

10-22mm is a must for great landscape shots. In Europe, there are also many great architecture, some really enormous size historical buildings, churches, etc. In such situation, you'll really appreciate having the 10-22mm with you. When I was in Europe I used this lens alot. So this is really a good investment if you're into landscape and architecture.

However, my walkabout lens is the 24-105mm. Great zoom range and excellent image quality for your walk-about.

On top of that, I have my 70-200mm for taking details. This is by far one of the sharpest lens by Canon.

So this is what I brought to Europe:
1) 10-22mm
2) 24-105mm
3) 70-200mm

Anyway, its good to read up some reviews and do some research before investing as lens are not cheap.
Buy what you think you need and what you'll be shooting.

Cheers... :)

I'll suggest the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8,
if you can afford fork out more $$ then go for the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS.

10-22mm is a must for great landscape shots. In Europe, there are also many great architecture, some really enormous size historical buildings, churches, etc. In such situation, you'll really appreciate having the 10-22mm with you. When I was in Europe I used this lens alot. So this is really a good investment if you're into landscape and architecture.

However, my walkabout lens is the 24-105mm. Great zoom range and excellent image quality for your walk-about.

On top of that, I have my 70-200mm for taking details. This is by far one of the sharpest lens by Canon.

So this is what I brought to Europe:
1) 10-22mm
2) 24-105mm
3) 70-200mm

Anyway, its good to read up some reviews and do some research before investing as lens are not cheap.
Buy what you think you need and what you'll be shooting.

Cheers... :)

whaaaa... dun think i have enough budget to get all 3 like urs.... hehe. Budget is $500, what do u all suggest?

When you said canon lens in your tittle, do you literally meant no third party lenses?

Better make sure got IS. hahahahah.... =p

If you got nothing in mind, your kit lens would most prob be suffice to cover everything.
The other lens would only come in useful if you wanna shoot in a certain style. Else, 18-55 is decent for most situations. Zoom with your feet!

Status
Not open for further replies.