What can we learn from Ris?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canonised

Aug 27, 2003
Let's just say that if a Singaporean happens to become a very famous photographer in the world and he speaks like Ris, how would the modeling and other forums respond?

I learned that every young Singaporeans should take their English lessons seriously in class, and learn to write, type and converse in more proper English so that if one day they do become famous, they will not go through hell like our sis Ris. They should spend lesss time on MSN, sms, facebook, etc....:p

What can we learn from Ris (besides new words like boomz, bigini, preenz, etc) ? :think:

That looks can only take you to the stage.

You need speech, wit and bearing to win the audience over.

In my opinion, one doesn't want to be fluent in the English language, quick-thinking on one's feet and can express oneself well in writing, just in preparation for fame.
It is as important to any self-respecting citizen of this modern society. These are skills that are required in our daily lives.

In my opinion, one doesn't want to be fluent in the English language, quick-thinking on one's feet and can express oneself well in writing, just in preparation for fame.
It is as important to any self-respecting citizen of this modern society. These are skills that are required in our daily lives.

I was being metaphorical.

Oh I was actually referring to Canonised post about being a famous photographer and such...
But yes, I agree with your metaphor.

LOL.

Just so happens that you described fluency and wit, so I thought you were responding to mine.

Apologies for jumping the gun.

Either way, I am sorry to point out that for her, fluency is less an issue than self-awareness. A lot of her comments were frightfully shallow; not that there isn't a place for light-heartedness, but in a media interview representing a country? Not quite the place...

Either way, I am sorry to point out that for her, fluency is less an issue than self-awareness. A lot of her comments were frightfully shallow; not that there isn't a place for light-heartedness, but in a media interview representing a country? Not quite the place...

You're right there.

I'm embarrassed to say that her pronunciation threw me off enough not to digest the contents of her comments.

LOL.

Just so happens that you described fluency and wit, so I thought you were responding to mine.

Apologies for jumping the gun.

No, no.. don't need to.
But after reading today's newspaper, and after all that hulabaloo (heh, heh, don't know if I spelled that correctly. After Ris's incident, I've become a little bit more self conscious of my spelling) I have come to realise that the proficiency of spoken English in a certain portion of our population may be a little short of good. But our society can and does accept it, as long as it is confined to its 'restricted boundary', e.g. speaking in broken English or grammatically incorrect sentences between friends/neighbours/families. But when it comes to major events of international importance, as in MSW, then our level of tolerance is very low.
Why? Because it reflects on ourselves. It's all about face.

Last edited:
In a cynical sort of way, I agree with the last interviewee when she said that Ris is a good representation of Singapore because most Singaporeans spik, err, speak that way.

And really, a Speak Good English Movement is quite indicative of the plight we are in.

I'm quite guilty of code-switching though, more so that I don't want to be seen as "atas". We are not alone in this; Americans code-switch and double-speak a lot as well!

Of course we may code-switch, like the beautiful former Miss Singapore World Faraliza Tan aptly puts it.
And I believe most of us would not bat an eye lid when we find our fellow Singaporeans doing just that in the company of anyone other than native Singaporeans.
The only problem is, as much as we expected any MSW to perform a little bit of that 'switching', we did not expect a representative who couldn't even 'turn on' the light bulb, not to mention 'switching' yet.

The only problem is, as much as we expected any MSW to perform a little bit of that 'switching', we did not expect a representative who couldn't even 'turn on' the light bulb, not to mention 'switching' yet.

The light bulb went BOOMZ...

Ok, I couldn't resist, sorry.

The light bulb went BOOMZ...

Ok, I couldn't resist, sorry.

I don't blame you, man.
Why, I myself can't help taking a dig... but after all has been said, we all still got to face the undeniable reality. She is there now. She is looking, with a sense of trepidation at all of us back home here. She is going to face the world in about 3 months' time.
Looks like it's really time for fire-fighting.
I ask myself this $6-million question - what can the experts do now, short of giving her model answers from all the 10-years' series of the past Miss World competitions, and drilling her day and night on the delivery?

I don't blame you, man.
Why, I myself can't help taking a dig... but after all has been said, we all still got to face the undeniable reality. She is there now. She is looking, with a sense of trepidation at all of us back home here. She is going to face the world in about 3 months' time.
Looks like it's really time for fire-fighting.
I ask myself this $6-million question - what can the experts do now, short of giving her model answers from all the 10-years' series of the past Miss World competitions, and drilling her day and night on the delivery?

Short of a miracle, I don't think she'll make the Q & A stage.

I think her pronunciation and diction would improve, but chances are they would be considered and deliberate, take her off guard, and she would probably lapse to her natural way of speaking.

A bigger issue is whether she can handle topics heavier than say, fashion?

Short of a miracle, I don't think she'll make the Q & A stage.

I think her pronunciation and diction would improve, but chances are they would be considered and deliberate, take her off guard, and she would probably lapse to her natural way of speaking.

A bigger issue is whether she can handle topics heavier than say, fashion?

I doubt if heavy issues are part of her daily staple of mental exercises. But well, when you enter a beauty contest you have to face the music.
I would concur on the part about her not making past the initial stages to reach the final Q & A, but would be wildly happy if she does.
To answer Canonised's question about what we have learned, I think the judging panel is most likely the one that has learnt most from this. Certainly next year will see a more stringent panel, and hopefully a better representative.

the standard had drop. even the teachers at school are not using proper english to teach or should i say afraid to use..?

it's just like a mirror image, laughing back at ourselves.

who are we to laugh at her? :think:

the standard had drop. even the teachers at school are not using proper english to teach or should i say afraid to use..?

it's just like a mirror image, laughing back at ourselves.

who are we to laugh at her? :think:

I'm laughing my head off, because I don't spik, errr... speak like that.

But there's no free lunch; my Mandarin is probably worse than her English. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.