What can this budget fetch for 2nd DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdogbun

Dec 3, 2009
Been reading up abit on the B&S thread but couldn't really satisfy my query. Hope I won't get kicked for my queries :sweat:
I'm currently using a LX3 and was thinking of getting a 2nd DSLR+stock lens with a budget of $300.
Question 1 - Is it possible and realistic? Cause it seems only those film SLR is within this price.
Question 2 - Checked up on some of the posted models near my budget. After reading through, some reviews mentioned certain brand has manual focus lens, does it means there is totally no auto focus function? And how inconvenient it is based on your experiences can this be if there is no auto focus function?
Question 3 - Some sellers mentioned 14K clicks or 6k clicks, any rule of thumb a maximum figure I can comfortable buy with confidence not much wear and tear is done? Or the clicks don't matter at all?
Question 4 - Lets say I increase my budget to 400, to be more realistic, which are the models I should look out for? If possible pls let me know as many as you can think of and feel it's within 400?

Thanks and be soft with the kick, if my question demands your leg...

since you looked up the B&S section and have not found any offers in that price range, it means your budget is not realistic enough.

Question 1: It is possible.

Question 2: Yes, MF lenses will not be able to AF. Different people have different preferences, but having AF is definitely an advantage to work with if you're not well versed at working quickly with MF.

Question 3: The average stated shutter lifespan is 100-150k, so it might be safer to look out for those with a lower SC just to set your mind at ease. Again, I have heard of shutter problems after just 10-20k clicks while some others go all the way past their stated lifespan w/o any problems.

Question 4: If you increase your budget to around 450, you can get yourself a 2nd hand Nikon D70 or Canon 300D or 350D and 18-55 kit lens VR or non-VR. That should be good to get you started.

Been reading up abit on the B&S thread but couldn't really satisfy my query. Hope I won't get kicked for my queries :sweat:
I'm currently using a LX3 and was thinking of getting a 2nd DSLR+stock lens with a budget of $300.
Question 1 - Is it possible and realistic? Cause it seems only those film SLR is within this price.
Question 2 - Checked up on some of the posted models near my budget. After reading through, some reviews mentioned certain brand has manual focus lens, does it means there is totally no auto focus function? And how inconvenient it is based on your experiences can this be if there is no auto focus function?
Question 3 - Some sellers mentioned 14K clicks or 6k clicks, any rule of thumb a maximum figure I can comfortable buy with confidence not much wear and tear is done? Or the clicks don't matter at all?
Question 4 - Lets say I increase my budget to 400, to be more realistic, which are the models I should look out for? If possible pls let me know as many as you can think of and feel it's within 400?

Thanks and be soft with the kick, if my question demands your leg...

Last edited:
Clown, your answer to #1 has somehow answered question #4 as well.
Will relook into my budget before asking more again.
Thanks.

no worries.

you can put up a WTB request in the B&S and see who's willing to sell u a set for cheap too, just to try your luck.

No point in spending so little on an SLR, because you'd be itching to upgrade for a better model, and to sell that camera after that is going to be another headache. Just save for a few months more, say till you get at least $600-$700 to get your first DSLR. It's worth paying for newer models, rather than being stuck with old technology.

Last week someone sold a Sony a350 for $350, and I saw a200 being sold for $200 before. These bargains do happen, but very rare.

Try looking out for cheap Sony alpha 200-350 series. A lot of Sony alpha users are upgrading to a5x0 so sometimes u can get good bargains from them.

Thanks guys for giving me more leads to work with. Through I'll be itching if I persist further in this hobby. Which is why I need to learn my basics and what better to learn with a basic. I've seen in many case when its with the composition and not the technology, so I try get a cheapest to throw around and fully understand the settings first. Thats my opinion.
Also, I will not be getting better lens other than stock ones. If I were to get better lens, then thats the time I versed with the settings and have enough skill in composition of shots and ready to get a better DSLR.

Special thanks to ianhyk and android17 for the suggestions. I now have more options to work with.

Thanks guys for giving me more leads to work with. Through I'll be itching if I persist further in this hobby. Which is why I need to learn my basics and what better to learn with a basic. I've seen in many case when its with the composition and not the technology, so I try get a cheapest to throw around and fully understand the settings first. Thats my opinion.
Also, I will not be getting better lens other than stock ones. If I were to get better lens, then thats the time I versed with the settings and have enough skill in composition of shots and ready to get a better DSLR.

Special thanks to ianhyk and android17 for the suggestions. I now have more options to work with.

You should work on the basics with your LX3. Don't use it in auto, P or those preset scene modes but use the A, S and sometimes M mode, depending the situation. Don't zoom unnecessarily but instead focus on composing your shots for a given focal length. Although the DOF of a LX3 is not the same as a dslr, it will not be far off I think (i am guessing here). If you are already doing what I mentioned, then you are ready for a dslr. Then just raise your budget and get a newer model. ;)

i just browsed thru the BnS of Sony and saw some Minolta/Sony Alphas being sold for $3xx.

so yeah, if u wanna buy one for that price, its still possible. Just need to check often. $3xx deals often close pretty fast.

You will find the LX3 out resolves DSLRs in your price range and may therefore disappoint. I'm speaking from experience when I got my LX3 12 months ago, it made the quality of similar shots by my 350D look pretty bad, especially in the noise department. A DSLR will give you more creativity options however going for an older model may be aiming too low. Don't get me wrong a 350D (for example) is a wonderful cam and paired with decent glass can produce stunning shots. $400 should be enough for cam and kit lens in reasonably good shape.

Thanks guys.
Did more research and found some older models do not have live new from lcd. Not my preference for sure.
I can increase my budget but am trying not to.All these suggestions hopefully can set my mind to exactly what I need,according to my preferences.

I'm starting with night shots with tripod from my darkened room. Trying to understand how I can get the colours to stand out and have a decent expourse. Alas my subjects are limited so Not much opportunities to train on composimg.
Pls keep your comments coming in so I have more directions in my search for a dslr.

you may also try 2nd hand Olympus E-410/E-510, maybe slightly higher from your budget. hth

With the inputs from fellow CSers, I have added two critieria which the DSLR I intend to get, regardless of cheap throw-around or 'final' set, has to have.
1. Have auto focus function and lens
2. Have live feed from LCD instead of only throw viewfinder

Apart from these, rest of functions should be generic for most DSLR. I definitely will not be getting any high end kits, don't see myself having the requirement or have the capacity to fully ultilise it to fullest.

Like most would advise, I'll take the advice of 'either canon or nikon' :D

Keep your comments coming and many thanks!

Thanks guys.
Did more research and found some older models do not have live new from lcd. Not my preference for sure.
I can increase my budget but am trying not to.All these suggestions hopefully can set my mind to exactly what I need,according to my preferences.

I'm starting with night shots with tripod from my darkened room. Trying to understand how I can get the colours to stand out and have a decent expourse. Alas my subjects are limited so Not much opportunities to train on composimg.
Pls keep your comments coming in so I have more directions in my search for a dslr.

well, you can play more with your lx3 first.

to be honest, at lower isos, performance will be on par with dslr.

btw, when you have tried viewfinder, maybe you will not like live view anymore. get a firmer grounding of the basics first, before you head on to greener pastures. in the meantime, you can save up more for a more up-to-date model. these days it is getting more affordable in terms of what you get for what you pay.

some of my favourite photos that i have taken were shot with a prosumer, not a dslr.

With the inputs from fellow CSers, I have added two critieria which the DSLR I intend to get, regardless of cheap throw-around or 'final' set, has to have.
1. Have auto focus function and lens
2. Have live feed from LCD instead of only throw viewfinder

Apart from these, rest of functions should be generic for most DSLR. I definitely will not be getting any high end kits, don't see myself having the requirement or have the capacity to fully ultilise it to fullest.

Like most would advise, I'll take the advice of 'either canon or nikon' :D

Keep your comments coming and many thanks!

1. will be true for every dslr.

2. will be true for new dslrs, i.e. current models. live view was introduced as a "standard" feature only fairly recently.

and no, i would not take the advice of "either canon or nikon", by doing so you just limit yourself to 2 out of at least 5 choices (olympus, canon, nikon, sony, pentax). have you considered the micro 4/3 changeable systems too? e.g. olympus EP-1 and panasonic GF-1. they will be only slightly larger than your lx3, with more advanced features and better noise control (though possibly not as good as that of a aps-c dslr).

if u wan either nikon or canon, then the only cheap/budget DSLR that has live view (live viewing of shots thru LCD) is Canon 1000D.

Sony A330/300 which also has live view, image stabilizer, spot meter (which the canon 1000D dont even have!) wins the canon 1000D hands down...

Last edited:
Went to check up on Nikon D3000 and Canon 1000D, D3000 about 100 more. For the Sony A230L, its about 699 with the A230Y slightly bit more than Nikon D3000.

Understand there're lots of other options, but personal preference is to get a brand my friends are using, Nikon. I am leaning more to Nikon D3000 cause of the looks and it being at almost 500g stock.
With it being smaller and lighter compared to D5000, my wife would appreciate it more.

Now is to wait for the upcoming C3 fair to see if I can get a good deal.
So for now I may push off the buying of a 'throw around' DSLR, or perhaps not.

The LX3 is definitely a great cam. To me, its just as good as a DSLR, to my standards. Having a DSLR is not only having a feel but also a little dream I have.

Guess I've more or less decided. Now is to action it at the right time.

Thanks for the help everyone.

well if u wanna get a Nikon DSLR, i'll recommend Nikon D90.

For the price of D3000, I rather get Sony A330 ($800 with lens brand new). BTW, Nikon D3000 is using a Sony CCD Sensor, the same sensor used in the A330/A300/A230/A200. Just to let you know u r getting a camera with same sensor, similar price, but less function. the A200/230 is exactly the same as the A300/330 except it doesnt have live view, so the same comparison below can be used as well.

Here's a comparison of D3000 vs A330/A300/A230/A200

Bracketing: Nikon D3000 No : Sony A330 Yes
Its a great function for beginners. Unlike pros who can determind exposure correctly most of the time (but not always, sometimes they use bracketing too), beginners are very poor in judging exposure. As such the exposure bracketing will be a godsend function when they are in doubt of the correct exposure to use. D3000 lacks this function. A330 has it.

Live View: Nikon D3000 No : Sony A330 Yes
Again, a great function for beginners. Pros who have used DSLR for donkey years will have no issue with using the OVF all the time. However for a newbie coming from a PnS, having a live view will be very good. Im not saying u have to use Live View all the time, but its good to use in alot of situations. And in certain positions, using live view will be more useful than using OVF. For example when taking Over the Head shots, there is absolutely no way u can use OVF. But u can still use the live view, especially since the A330 has a tiltable LCD screen.

Image Stabalisation: Nikon D3000 No : Sony A330 Yes
IS modes can reduce handshakes, compensating around 3 fstops of light. Thats good enough reason to have IS mode. The 3000D does not have IS build into their camera, thus you have to buy lenses which has IS build into it. But these lenses typically cost alot more than non IS lenses. The A330 comes with IS build into their camera, as such ALL lenses which they use becomes an IS lens. This is a major cost savings. Do you wanna pay extra money to buy IS for all your lenses?

Wireless Flash Transmitter: Nikon D3000 No : Sony A330 Yes
Sony DSLRs comes with a build in wireless flash transmitter. The Nikon D3000 does not have this build in, so you have to buy a wireless transmitter which cost an additional few hundred dollars.

In Body Auto Focus Motor: Nikon D3000 No : Sony A330 Yes
As the D3000 does not come with a build in AF motor, they can only use auto focus with AF-S and selected AF-I lenses. These lenses will thus cost more than similar lenses which do not require in lense AF motor. Besides cost, it also reduces the selection of lenses which the D3000 can use. Of cos you can still AF lenses which dont have in lense AF motor with your D3000, but they will only be usable in manual mode. If u buy an AF lens which cant AF with your camera, you are either insane, or u are too rich.

So in actual fact, the Sony A330 has ALOT more lenses to choose from (counting Minolta lenses) compared to the D3000, which is crippled by the lack of focus motor and has limited number of lenses to use. The lack of focus motor also means, in the long run, the D3000 has to pay extra $$$ as every lens they buy, they will need to get the version which has a lens motor (which means they cant use cheaper, no motor version of similar lenses).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.