what can i do with my 50mm F1.8 II lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

takomiSan

Nov 3, 2008
Hi there peeps,

I can't believe i'm asking this question, but i will never know without asking.

So i brought a prime 50mm F1.8 II lens recently 2nd hand from a fellow clubsnapper. But i find that i have no use for it. I find myself using my kits lens 18-55mm II more often then my 50mm.

So what sort of pictures/shots can i take with my prime lens? Please advice. Thank You.

use it to take portraits or still objects.

2nd this.:thumbsup: with a good bokeh background.. to used it like the 18-55mm requires a lot of jalan jalan zooming.:bsmilie:

Next time you plan to go out for a leisurely photoshoot, don't bring your zoom. Just bring the 50mm. By doing this you are forcing yourself to use it and, ultimately, discover what the lens can or cannot do for your photography.

With zoom lenses it has made photog rather lazy due to the fact that you don't have to move in/out to compose. Effect with zoom lensestend to be less satisfactory compared to primes. Primes gives lovely bokeh which often zooms are incapable of (unless you go for $$$ lenses).

50mm is great for potraiture and if the DOF is shallow enough, the bokeh is excellent. It needs more work, but that gives results that is worth the extra effort. Personally, the only zoom lens that I'm using now is 17-35mm. The other lens that I use are primes - 50mm, 90mm or 180mm. I have a 24-135mm on standby but didn't really use it yet cos I still prefer using prime's tack sharp quality.

if u want it light...go with 50mm.

Always fun to shoot with it on the street. :)

Hi. Believe me, this is one of the best investments that you have made in your camera. Despite the low cost and seemingly plasticky construct, the quality and speed it offers are excellent.

50mm lenses are almost close to our human being's field of vision. So you can take shots that are "undistorted". I know of photographers who stick it to their camera most of the time.

It is not as troublesome as it seems. Just "zoom" with your feet if you need to. ;)

Nevertheless, you should see this lens as one that complements your existing zoom, not a replacement because each is meant for a different purpose.

What can i do with my 50mm F1.8 II lens?

The answer is so simple...
Throw it into the dustbin...
BUT before you do, please let me know which dustbin you want to throw it into :)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Your kindness will be greatly appreciated!

make it into a macro lens?

hahaha..okie..thanks all for the responses...appreciate it... =)

you can get decent bokeh on the 50mm that you will never get with the kit lens, but it wont be the super creamy type tha tyou can get with better quality primes.

for me, i would use it for portraiture, and available light photography (i.e. low light) where i dont want to use a flash..

erm.. sry.. hi-jack a bit.. but jus wanna ask, does Nikon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D have a lens hood?

of all threads, why in the world do you choose to hijack this one? completely unrelated

Hi there peeps,

So i brought a prime 50mm F1.8 II lens recently 2nd hand from a fellow clubsnapper. But i find that i have no use for it. I find myself using my kits lens 18-55mm II more often then my 50mm.

So what sort of pictures/shots can i take with my prime lens? Please advice. Thank You.

If there isn't anyone else mention this, I say it also makes a real expensive paper weight :bsmilie:

i shall chip in and say tt my prime lens (a 30mm) is my most frequently used lens.

as someone suggested, yes, at first u might find the inability to zoom a bother and the shallow dof difficult to control at times. but, try taking out ONLY the prime when u go shooting and soon ull begin to learn and love it. cos now ure forced into moving urself to compose a shot and invariably, more thought goes into ;)

Hi there peeps,

You can take any pictures you can ever imagine with any lens.

anything that you want bokeh! hv you even tried opening up your aperture?

Status
Not open for further replies.