what can a ND filter do?


Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan84

Senior Member
Nov 1, 2003
572
0
16
what the different between x2,x4,x8?
 

Adiemus

Senior Member
May 21, 2004
1,676
1
38
48
Small island....
The more "x"s, the more stops of light it cuts off.
so effectively, a 2x cuts of less light than a 8x ND filter.
 

ryan84

Senior Member
Nov 1, 2003
572
0
16
let say i shooting waterfall and mountain..
which X? is better?
or is it depend on the lighting of the day...
 

foxtwo

Senior Member
Mar 11, 2004
2,517
0
36
singapore
it depends more on how long u want open ur shutter to get ur intended effect.
 

ryan84

Senior Member
Nov 1, 2003
572
0
16
so the theroy is say that when i set at 15sec and i use x2 ND filiter and i get 30sec of shutter because it x2?
 

tingchiyen

Member
Jan 28, 2004
297
0
16
42
Central
ryan84 said:
so the theroy is say that when i set at 15sec and i use x2 ND filiter and i get 30sec of shutter because it x2?
If you set your filter at 15 secs, you'll get 15 secs. The x2 ND filter will reduce the light entering by 1 f/stop, which means, if without filter you get an equation of 15 sec : f/11, with the filter you should use 15 sec : f/8. Which also means you can push the f/stop higher and get longer exposures. The filter's to prevent over-exposure outside the f/stop values available to you to play with, when you really want to get long exposures. Try using shutter priority with the filter, might be easier for you, if all you want to do is get a specific motion effect, like waterfall curtains etc. Hope that helps.
 

latmo

New Member
tingchiyen said:
If you set your filter at 15 secs, you'll get 15 secs. The x2 ND filter will reduce the light entering by 1 f/stop, which means, if without filter you get an equation of 15 sec : f/11, with the filter you should use 15 sec : f/8. Which also means you can push the f/stop higher and get longer exposures. The filter's to prevent over-exposure outside the f/stop values available to you to play with, when you really want to get long exposures. Try using shutter priority with the filter, might be easier for you, if all you want to do is get a specific motion effect, like waterfall curtains etc. Hope that helps.
erm
think should be with filter F11 without is F8
 

tingchiyen

Member
Jan 28, 2004
297
0
16
42
Central
latmo said:
erm
think should be with filter F11 without is F8
Nope, with filter = less light = wider aperture. :think:
 

foxtwo

Senior Member
Mar 11, 2004
2,517
0
36
singapore
:D

tingchiyen's Point:

1. correct metering at 15secs = f11
2. metering with NDx2 = f16 (-1stop)
3. compensate 1stop light loss = f8

latmo's Point:

1. correct metering at 15secs = f8
2. metering with NDx2 = f11 (-1stop)

Am i correct?
 

tingchiyen

Member
Jan 28, 2004
297
0
16
42
Central
haha yeah... thanks, fox.
but don't confuse ryan! just plunk on the filter and use shutter-priority! :thumbsup:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.