what camera to get

knightrider

Apr 23, 2012
hi guys, new to photography.

i travel a lot so im deciding to invest in a good traveling compact camera. do u guys have any camera to recommend?

i looked up a few websites, i saw this panasonic lumix lx 5. it was highly recommended. is it good?

im looking for something with good zoom and sharp image quality.

thanks in advance.

We have about 20 recent "What camera to get?" threads, all dealing with compact cameras in a reasonable price range. Please do adhere to the Clubsnap terms of use and SEARCH before you POST.

i travel a lot so im deciding to invest in a good traveling compact camera. do u guys have any camera to recommend?

i looked up a few websites, i saw this panasonic lumix lx 5. it was highly recommended. is it good?

thanks in advance.

1) What is your budget?
2) What zoom range are you looking at - x5, x20, x26 or x30?

It is very very difficult for any of us to give you a correct picture bcos none of us know what is good zoom to you (to me x2.5 is a good zoom, to others - x26 seemed alright), and as to sharp image quality, well... you are looking at a compact and so don't expect it to give you DSLR quality in term of noise control unless you are shooting with Fujifilm X100 (which had a fix range lens), Canon G1X (a x4 zoom).

Other respectable compact camera include -

1) Olympus XZ-1
2) Panasonic LX-5
3) Canon S100 and G12
4) Nikon P5100
5) Fujifilm X10 and X-S1 (the latter is a super zoom camera but not exactly light and small - 9xxg)

sony hv9x

i'd suggest the fuji x100...

well you can try to search here and there to get some reviews, and compare the prices against your budget.. :)

thanks in advance.

Why don't you consult with K.I.T.T. ?? ;)

LX-5 is good. There are a number of competitors in this category. I think DPreview has done a comparison test for this class of camera recently.

btw you didn't even mention what's your budget. The criteria you stated are quite vague.
'good zoom' = ???
'sharp image quality'.... even the cheapest compact cameras can deliver sharp photos under the appropriate conditions and with some post-processing.

i'd suggest the fuji x100...

well you can try to search here and there to get some reviews, and compare the prices against your budget.. :)

X100 cannot, No zoom... only a 23mm fix prime. I think those new to photography if use this camera will curse and swear...

I will recommend canon s100. It's a good compact camera for traveling. Have been using s95 before buying my dslr. :)

1) What is your budget?
2) What zoom range are you looking at - x5, x20, x26 or x30?

my budget about 400? zoom would be around 12-20. yeah, that should work.

Canon PowerShot SX30 IS

i see this camera being classified as somewhat a compact camera is it better than the LX5?

Canon PowerShot SX30 IS

i see this camera being classified as somewhat a compact camera is it better than the LX5?

Read the reviews and learn...

Canon PowerShot SX30 IS

Some details HERE
I think you should form your own opinions about this camera, coz after all you will be the one using it, not anyone else on this forum.
Personally, I think a focal range of 24-840mm (35mm equiv) is wayyyy overkill.

Canon PowerShot SX30 IS

It is a superzoom bridge camera if I am not wrong, with that, it is not exactly very compact...

As for the LX-5, I believe it only had around 5x zoom.

As to which is better... LX-5 sports a slightly larger sensor, and with that you get better noise control at high ISO, as for the SX30, it had a massive zoom... So you make your own calls, which is needed more in your case.

If we go strictly by your budget then can consider fujifilm compact like F600EXR. Has plenty of zoom yet compact and should fit around your budget.

Or Panasonic TZ-10 with zoom range 25-300mm. Compact and within your budget 2nd Hand :D

I have LX5 but given away beause I have too many cameras. IQ is good using the lastest firmware.