What camera to get if weight is problem BUT I want good quality photos

Acidica

Jun 1, 2010
Western Singapore
Hi I am new to DSLR. Been using Nikon P6000 (prosumer camera) since Aug 2008 and I wish to upgrade and take better quality photos. My budget is less than 1500+/- Only thing is that I am clueless about how to use DSLR, no idea what lens to get and do not want to spend more $$ on lens.

I take more portraits, scenery, travel and marco photos. Dont mind 4/3 cameras.

Weight is a problem for me. I tried Nikon D90 with 18-105mm lens – I can’t get used to having to carry weight of this camera whenever I go BUT I want a good quality photography.

Is this too tall an order? Please help

Hi I am new to DSLR. Been using Nikon P6000 (prosumer camera) since Aug 2008 and I wish to upgrade and take better quality photos. My budget is less than 1500+/- Only thing is that I am clueless about how to use DSLR, no idea what lens to get and do not want to spend more $$ on lens.

Weight is a problem for me. I tried Nikon D90 with 18-105mm lens – I can’t get used to having to carry weight of this camera whenever I go BUT I want a good quality photography.

IHMO, Not too much to ask her, if u dun set ur expectations too high (out of a M 4/3 systems)

Had u read reviews abt Oly Pen series and Pansonic GF1? Think these two might fulfill ur needs and wont add much of a burden in terms of weight issue.

HTH :)

Do you prefer DSLR (optical viewfinder) or do you like EVIL (electronic vf interchangeable lens).

DSLR is larger, but easier to hold for long periods of time. EVIL cameras are smaller but due to size of the grip, may be tiring for your hands.

DSLRs good for your budget - Pentax K-x, Sony A380,
EVIL - Panasonic GF-1, Oly EPL1, Oly EP2. Sony NEX3 and NEX5.

Numnumball - I read about Oly Pen series - I like the weight of EVIL. Just wonder is the photo quality as good as DSLR?
dd123 - I definately prefer the IQ of DSLR but I cant take the weight - cant get use to it at all. Any comments on IQ of EVIL

There are many more factors in a good picture... so upgrading to a DSLR may or may not improve your pictures.

Ask yourself what you feel is the bottleneck in your current setup..... your answer lies there.

There has been many cases, where people with money thought a DSLR will pooh them into a great photographer... On the contrary, a DSLR body alone can not do much... unless complemented with a decent lens. I have not talked about skills yet!!

And the problem starts there.. technically there can not be an all-rounder lens.... all lenses are specific, specially designed and fine-tuned for specific purposes. A lens good for landscape technically can not be decent for portraits and vice versa. then you need so many other stuffs .. the list is endless.

If you not really interested in all those complicated matters and want to have decent pictures then look at Fuji HS10 or Canon SX20

Numnumball - I read about Oly Pen series - I like the weight of EVIL. Just wonder is the photo quality as good as DSLR?
dd123 - I definately prefer the IQ of DSLR but I cant take the weight - cant get use to it at all. Any comments on IQ of EVIL

The PENs,Gs and NEX all use DSLR sensors,so the quality is the same

As mentoned previously, much depends on ur expectations and ur definition of "good"
Some are easily contented but some wants "better" ..

As the sensor sizes and selection of lens differs between systems, i can say it can only give u this much.. U cant compare apple to orange.. If u are expecting (an output from a M 4/3 to be as good as a Full frame DSLR), then thats a absolute no no.. :)

Try these cams at those big electronic stores, where they have a large display area. All have decent to good dslr quality, but very light weight, small, meets your budget (with kit lens of course) and interchangeable lens.

- All the entry level dslrs from C,N,P,S, etc
- Panasonic GF, Olympus Pen, Sony NEX

Its good to have a feel of it in your hands and to test the user interfaces, because as some have said, weight, grip and interface vary greatly amongst the various models even within the same brand.

Online reviews will help you have an idea of what to expect too.

There are many more factors in a good picture... so upgrading to a DSLR may or may not improve your pictures.

Ask yourself what you feel is the bottleneck in your current setup..... your answer lies there.

There has been many cases, where people with money thought a DSLR will pooh them into a great photographer... On the contrary, a DSLR body alone can not do much... unless complemented with a decent lens. I have not talked about skills yet!!

And the problem starts there.. technically there can not be an all-rounder lens.... all lenses are specific, specially designed and fine-tuned for specific purposes. A lens good for landscape technically can not be decent for portraits and vice versa. then you need so many other stuffs .. the list is endless.

If you not really interested in all those complicated matters and want to have decent pictures then look at Fuji HS10 or Canon SX20

I think you hit what I was asking. Dont think I want to get more 1-2 lens. Not really interested in complicated matters, that's why I was looking EPen series. I am happy with my Nikon P6000 and it serves me well. Just need to move more to something "better". Thanks for advice. I got to set my expectation right.

Thanks guys - Any recommendation for all rounder camera?

Last edited:
Tried Canon's xxxD series? They are smaller and lighter than the D90.

Actually, all dSLRs can take good quality pictures, and they are mostly dependent on the lenses you'll be using.

Cheers!

I think you hit what I was asking. Dont think I want to get more 1-2 lens. Not really interested in complicated matters, that's why I was looking EPen series. I am happy with my Nikon P6000 and it serves me well. Just need to move more to something "better". Thanks for advice. I got to set my expectation right.

looks like you just want a straight answer, but as everyone has been telling you, different cameras and lenses fulfil different needs.
A DSLR or EVIL is in itself an all-rounder camera, because if coupled with the right lens and accessories, you can dabble in just about every genre of photography.

If your P6000 serves you well, just what is it that you want to be "better" ??

The PENs,Gs and NEX all use DSLR sensors,so the quality is the same

Disagree with this statement. PENs and Gs are using four third sensors, which is the same as their four third DSLRs. It is not the same sensor even between Olympus and Panasonic because the manufacturers are not the same. Even the sizing is not the same; four third is only one quarter the area of a full frame DSLR. Thus the 2x crop factor.

NEX is using an APS-C crop, which is 1.5 crop factor, same as their cropped factor DSLRs, and in my opinion, significant enough to not say "they are the same" as m43 sensor sizes.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-camera-sensor-size.htm

G1. Or the G2 if that is not available. I still prefer that to GF and PEN series.

Disagree with this statement. PENs and Gs are using four third sensors, which is the same as their four third DSLRs. It is not the same sensor even between Olympus and Panasonic because the manufacturers are not the same. Even the sizing is not the same; four third is only one quarter the area of a full frame DSLR. Thus the 2x crop factor.

NEX is using an APS-C crop, which is 1.5 crop factor, same as their cropped factor DSLRs, and in my opinion, significant enough to not say "they are the same" as m43 sensor sizes.

hahah well he's correct in the sense that EP1 uses the same size sensor as Oly DSLR, so the EP1 does use a DSLR sensor :bsmilie: got away with a technicality...

Long back I had one Fuji S9600 and it was great all purpose. there was some limitations but still it was quite useful. So I believe, it's new Avatar HS10 will be quite good all rounder.
One of my cousin brother who is brand fan, planning to have a Canon SX20. Check the reviews of these two.... with this camera, you will be always light as you wished!!

hahah well he's correct in the sense that EP1 uses the same size sensor as Oly DSLR, so the EP1 does use a DSLR sensor :bsmilie: got away with a technicality...

Thank you very much,hahaha

Uncle wildcat,I was lazy to type out in full,if I must, it will go that the PENs use the same sensor size as their E system cameras, the Gs use the same sensor size as the L cameras and the NEX cameras use the same sensor size as their A cameras

In summary, isn't it easier to just say "The PENs,Gs and NEXs all use the same sensor size as their DSLR counter part"? I just made it shorter :bsmilie: I would have been wrong if I said "The PENs,Gs and NEX all use the same sensor"

Last edited:

You can research on Pentax K-x. They offer some very good and very flat lenses. The Ltds. Pancakes! But those lenses are not cheap though.

Thanks all for the quick replies, explanations and suggestions. I been checking out all that you mentioned especially finding out the weight element. I guess I narrow down to G1 or Pen - it meets my criteria.

dd123 - dont think I want to spend more on expensive lens, wont consider Pentax K-x. Thanks again

wildcat - why did you prefer G1 vs Pen?

Long back I had one Fuji S9600 and it was great all purpose. there was some limitations but still it was quite useful. So I believe, it's new Avatar HS10 will be quite good all rounder.
One of my cousin brother who is brand fan, planning to have a Canon SX20. Check the reviews of these two.... with this camera, you will be always light as you wished!!

Thanks Kaylan, I read review of SX20, spec is great but weights more than 560g - cant accept this weight. :(

Thanks all for the quick replies, explanations and suggestions. I been checking out all that you mentioned especially finding out the weight element. I guess I narrow down to G1 or Pen - it meets my criteria.

dd123 - dont think I want to spend more on expensive lens, wont consider Pentax K-x. Thanks again

wildcat - why did you prefer G1 vs Pen?

G1: (electronic) viewfinder
PEN: no viewfinder

Thanks Kaylan, I read review of SX20, spec is great but weights more than 560g - cant accept this weight. :(

you think PEN series cameras are very light har...?