What camera to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiamH

Oct 7, 2006
Sengkang
Dear all, I am getting very interested in the subject of photography. However, I have no idea what camera I should get.
I am not aiming to be a pro. But I need a camera which is good for most situations. Preferably one that does not need me to get too many accessories.
Pls advise. Thanks

my view is: -

It all depends on your intention? easy for travel? something small that you can keep in your pocket and carry it with you wherever u go...or something robust and good that you dun even have to change for at least 5years? if its the compact, then you got to ask yourself again wat features is outmost impt for you? IMHO....zoom range (panasonic perhaps)? good pic quality (fujifilm F30 definitely)? compact with wide angle (canon IS800 and up perhaps)?

For myself....used to have a FZ20 (juz sold)...like its zoom range..but frustrated over its noise...if I were to choose ultra compact...I will definitely go for F30...go to some camera friendly shop...heard one in Funan that provides gd service..they allow you to try alot of cameras without any obligations...why not go there and try... :) hope this helps

hi sir!

it really depends on what are you looking at, on what kind of subjects you would like to shoot. if your the type that would see your self very inspired on the things you see. i would recommend to buy a SLR/DSLR, WHY? because you can explore more on the camera, subject and composition, but im not saying that you cannot achive it on a compact camera. the only difference would be the manual settings and the sixe of the sensor, the one thing i like with the SLR is i got to choose the lens and got to play on how would i present my subject, bec in evry angle of our subject lies a hidden beauty to be captured.

okay to cut this short i was once in your shoes, undecided and thinking what camera would fit me, but actually after all the long hours of research and reading, i found out that, getting a SLR would give me more perfomance because im not the type of point and shoot.

maybe as i read between your sentence i thnik you would consider a compact camera, maybe a Lumix may suit your taste

i hope this would help....

regards

Dear all,

Thank you for taking yr time to read my posing and giving me your suggestions.
Why would a Lumix be suitable for me?
I was thinking about getting the S3IS... is it ok?
If I get a dSLR, do I need to get a lot of other things? dont really want to carry too much other stuff when I'm walking ard.

Thanks for ALL yr help

Dear all,

Thank you for taking yr time to read my posing and giving me your suggestions.
Why would a Lumix be suitable for me?
I was thinking about getting the S3IS... is it ok?
If I get a dSLR, do I need to get a lot of other things? dont really want to carry too much other stuff when I'm walking ard.

Thanks for ALL yr help

ok, why lumix, in my own point of view it delivers good images and as per you needs. its not to bulky and it compact but dont underestimate the feature of it... just see the beauty of its output, search for the thread (LX1 Rocks!!!) on this thread our brother weekh showcase his shots, i find it very artistic and very cool,....

the S31S is quite bulky.....

if you get a DSLR, you might want to ask your self if you are ready to spend a little bit more... at the end of the day still its your call man..

just dont force your self in buying something that at the end you'll not fully utilize...

let me know what did you consider and from there lets start a new discussion..

regards

Dear all, I am getting very interested in the subject of photography. However, I have no idea what camera I should get.
I am not aiming to be a pro. But I need a camera which is good for most situations. Preferably one that does not need me to get too many accessories.
Pls advise. Thanks

asking this question... is like asking on a car forum. what kind of car...
people will then come in and recommend everything from a smart car... to a bugatti veyron.

and its really quite pointless.

how bout you set out some broad parameters first.

a. what is your budget. both now.. and your future budget (assuming u want to upgrade in future)
b. what exactly do you like to shoot. parties, events, portraits, landscape, streetlife, etc etc
c. do you just want a camera for occasional shooting, or do you really want to get a bit more into photography as a hobby.
d. how important is size/ weight to you.
e. do you want to be able to upgrade the system i.e. flashes, lenses,teleconverters, accessories.
f. how much post processing are u willing to do. or do u just want to print pictures straight off the camera.

maybe, my advise is start off from a small compact, use to the techinces, the move to a comsumer one and then to .......

i also followed this path, from fx8 (i help when you are new), then to my upcoming fz50:cool:

I guess you are right. The question is too broad. Thanks for helping me streamline the pertinent pts that I should consider.

( Pardon me if you find some of my questions sound stupid to you. I'm really new to this )
To reply yr questions
1. There is no real budget. I am quite ready to spend.
2. I guess I'm more of a landscape kind of guy. But is there a camera that is versatile? meaning can use for all events?
3. YEs. I would want to develop photography into a hobby.
4. Size/weight is not that important to me.
5. Preferably as little upgrade as possible. ( is it a must to get all the accessories? )
6. What is post processing??

Are you saying the sky is the limit?
2. I guess I'm more of a landscape kind of guy. But is there a camera that is versatile? meaning can use for all events?
Most cameras can do all. It's the photographer's ability to exploit these that matters.
Most of us here are doing just that. Some spend as little as 2k while others spend on 10k and yet others spend in excess of 20k4. Size/weight is not that important to me.
5. Preferably as little upgrade as possible. ( is it a must to get all the accessories? )
Once you embark on this there is no turning back. You may say this now but believe me you will be upgrading or adding stuff.6. What is post processing??

I guess you are right. The question is too broad. Thanks for helping me streamline the pertinent pts that I should consider.

( Pardon me if you find some of my questions sound stupid to you. I'm really new to this )
To reply yr questions
no budget? u sure? cos i can recommend u a nice digital medium format camera that will set u back in excess of 50000...

landscape photography - a someone said.. any lens and any camera can shoot landscape..do you like to shoot really wide angle? u want beautiful colours and resolution? in that case u probably really want to lok at a DSLR with a decent lens. or evena nice old manual camera can shoot beautiful landscapes with some fuji velvia.

well, as a general rule,, those who are more serious about their photography, will tend to look into SLR or rangefinder type cameras.. as these offer the most functionality and u can use high quality lenses with them.

then i think u should consider a good prosumer, or a DSLR.

if u dont want to upgrade, then a prosumer is good because it has all that u need and a good variable lens. like the panasonic FZ50, canon S3IS.

when u used to shoot with film, the color lab will develop the negative. when u shoot digital, u have to do the develpping... that is post processing. some people just print out the JPEG straight from the camrea. but some people choose to do some processing - this includes sharpening, adjusting white balance, colour , maybe adding some effects like black and white conversion etc etc

To reply yr questions

Based on your above statements, I think 30D or D200 with a good wide angle zoom would be your best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.