Just joined ClubSNAP as a member. Would appreciate advice for camera purchase

Background
1) Newbie Photographer.
2) Used Point and Shoot camera the whole life
3) Cameras use include Panasonic Lumix

Budget
700 - 1400 SGD

Requirement
1) Mostly use the cameras for talking Children photos, travelling..

What I had in mind
1) Read review that Panasonic G5 can achieve DSLR quality.
2) Thinking of trying out a changable system, and Compact system seems more manageable
Considering Nikon J1 or V1
3) Bro-In-Law recommend Panasonic GX1

I am really unsure of what cameras should I get, my heart has swing towards getting Nikon Compact System as 1) Fast Speed 2) Looks small and manageable 3) looks cool :embrass:

Would appreciate advice on what cameras can I consider and where would be a good place to get one. Thanks a lot.

Based on your requirements, I would suggest the m4/3 cameras (Panasonic/Olympus). Personally, I don't think Nikon 1 looks cool. The m4/3s are cooler.

Speed: never used any of those before, but if u mean AF speed, I think Nikon is better. If u mean exposure, m4/3 has fast lenses for that (expensive for your budget thou)

New Nikon 1 cameras are coming, so you can probably get the old ones at a steal. Same for pany.

I personally use Sony NEX and I think its great, if you dun mind the awkward big lens and not-so-fast-but-still-alot-faster-than-pns AF, consider that.

Go to the shops and feel them. Once you r happy with the ergonomics, just get it and it will be the best camera for your needs.

Based on your requirements, I would suggest the m4/3 cameras (Panasonic/Olympus). Personally, I don't think Nikon 1 looks cool. The m4/3s are cooler.

Speed: never used any of those before, but if u mean AF speed, I think Nikon is better. If u mean exposure, m4/3 has fast lenses for that (expensive for your budget thou)

New Nikon 1 cameras are coming, so you can probably get the old ones at a steal. Same for pany.

I personally use Sony NEX and I think its great, if you dun mind the awkward big lens and not-so-fast-but-still-alot-faster-than-pns AF, consider that.

Go to the shops and feel them. Once you r happy with the ergonomics, just get it and it will be the best camera for your needs.

Hi Silvermoon1407.

Thanks for your advice. But I have some questions to check with you

1) What is m4/3 cameras ?:embrass:
2) My main requirement for my camera is able to achieve fast auto focus and snap children most like to move here and there.
3) Able to take decent pictures under Dim/yellow light

Haha,

1) m4/3 = micro four thirds i.e. Panasonic / Olympus interchangeable lens cameras (G5, GX1 etc)
2) There's 2 kinds of AF technologies. Phase-detection AF and contrast-detection AF. PDAF are usually found in the bigger DSLRs. The smaller mirrorless (non-DSLR interchangeable lenses cameras) bodies that you are considering usually adopts CDAF, which is slower than DSLR's PDAF. But from the end-user perspective, both are fine as long as there's sufficient ambient light (or flash)
3) For low-light performance, it is usually associated with the sensor size and processor technology. The bigger the sensor, the better the low light performance. You should go wiki 'image sensor format' to get a better picture (not literally :p). In short, Nikon 1 uses a 1" sensor, which is smaller than the m4/3, which is in turn smaller than APS-C (found in Sony NEX / Samsung NX / entry level DSLRs), which is in turn smaller than Full-frame DSLRs (which is probably out of your league now). If you are concerned about photos taken under yellow light which turn out weird, that's probably a white balance issue (which can be easily rectified using your camera RAW software that comes with your camera)

You should go to the shops and shortlist certain cameras based on ergonomics and price, and you can later decide by reading online reviews to see which one is more suited for your needs.

Hi Silvermoon1407.

2) My main requirement for my camera is able to achieve fast auto focus and snap children most like to move here and there.

Sony Nex 5N. Fits your budget. Its consider small and light. Gives you DSLR quality..and have good low light performance. You might want to read more about it.. (its not a DSLR..its a mirrorless system and it can change lens as well not fixed to 1.)

With $1400 you can get entry level DSLR also.

Last edited:
Hi Silvermoon1407.

Perhaps consider reading some of the sticky threads at the top of the Newbies Corner, which would give you a clearer idea of what is out there in the market.

1) How to choose a camera (the sensor format method)

2) FAQ: What DSLR camera to buy?

The choices are quite bewildering, and there will likely be even more choices in the near future :) Good and bad for a confused newbie, I suppose ;)

Ultimately, I think you just have to shortlist some, and pick one. Can't really go too far wrong with that. It will likely not be the first and last 'advanced' camera you'll own, so don't sweat the decision too much.

welcome!

all the systems you mentioned and those suggested will serve you well. Just have to go down to the shops to test it out and see which one you prefer and will bring it out to shoot. Remember the best camera is the one that is with you.

get a basic system first, depending on how much you wanna learn, you can shoot in the Auto modes (which are already quite good), or spend hours/days/years reading the manual / stickies in the newbies corner / books / online articles =)

Coming from a G3 user (model before the G5).
Just get the G5.

Reasons :
1. AF is fast in all situations. Not all mirrorless cameras can claim that.
2. ISO performance is good enough in low light
3. The m4/3 cameras (ie. Olympus and Panasonic)have a good range of fast lenses to cater for low light situations. Not all mirrorless cameras can claim that.
4. G5 has an EVF; GX1 does not (depends if you want the EVF or not of course);

G1X is cheaper and has all the above except #4. Something to consider.

$1400 can get you quite few very good DSLRs.
The Pentax K30 for example is only about $900 with a 18-55 kit lens.
This isn't too big/heavy a camera either.
There are also others like the 600D.
I leave it to the others to mention other cameras.

My personal opinion is to get a 2nd hand GX1 + 2nd hand 20mm f1.7 + 2nd hand 14mm f2.5 and if u r able to put it another 150 -200, u can get the 45mm f1.8 as well. This combination is quite a good combi. Worth considering...

Hi Silvermoon,

thanks for the clear explanation of the various photography terms. At least, now I know what is m4/3 and the two main type of autofocus. Seems to me that Nikon 1 is not really a good camera to buy considering the price I have to pay for it. U are right , I should go and check out the different compact system or entry level dslr cameras. Think I will go down to Alan photo to take a look. Thanks again for your help.:)

Thanks TWmilkteaTW, I will definitely check out Sony Nex 5N.

Hi ZerocoolAstra,

Thanks for the link to the 2 very informative threads on cameras.

Thoongeng,

yah I will defintely go down to some shops and take a look. Thanks.

Hi PinHoleCam,

where did you get your G5, I been calling a few shops like Alan Photo and Cathay Photo and both said G5 is not for sale yet. And may I know what price did you pay for it.

As at now I am considering

1) Nikon J1/2 (dunno 2 is available or not)
2) Sony Nex 5N
3) Panasonic G1X/3/5
4) Entry level DSLR

Thanks.

My personal opinion is to get a 2nd hand GX1 + 2nd hand 20mm f1.7 + 2nd hand 14mm f2.5 and if u r able to put it another 150 -200, u can get the 45mm f1.8 as well. This combination is quite a good combi. Worth considering...

Erm, not really know how to get a 2nd hand camera..

2) Sony Nex 5N
3) Panasonic G1X/3/5
4) Entry level DSLR

Any recommendatiosn for Entry level DSLR so that I can go to some shops to take a look?

Thanks.

Big electronics shops. Example courts/harvey norman..etc etc They should have some on display so you can play with it. If not go to the respectives show room.

For Sony you can try Wisma (top floor).

Big electronics shops. Example courts/harvey norman..etc etc They should have some on display so you can play with it. If not go to the respectives show room.

For Sony you can try Wisma (top floor).

K Thanks.

2) Sony Nex 5N
3) Panasonic G1X/3/5
4) Entry level DSLR

Any recommendatiosn for Entry level DSLR so that I can go to some shops to take a look?

Thanks.

sorry for being very general again but really all the major makes of DSLR have very capable DSLRs. Newer ones will have more 'features' like touch screens, guide modes, in-camera editing but if you get to know your camera you can work out most functions. Major factor would be which one feels the best in your hands, and think hard if you would bring it out to shoot heh...

From what I read Pentax / Sony entry level DSLRs have the edge in that they have stabilisation built into the sensor, not in the lens. Meaning image stabilisation is for all lens attached, not just for lenses with built-in stabilisation.

If you are not in a rush, you might wait for COMEX next week (I know fellow CSers will say not to go for these shows but hear me out first hehe...), as usually the major brands will be there with their whole range of cameras on display. Just go early so there's not that much crowd and have a feel of the cameras. Price during shows will be the recommended retail prices, camera shops will definitely be cheaper, unless the free gifts during the show are really worth it

If can't wait just get from the usual suspects. Just remember to do some research beforehand, some shops need to bargain to get a good price (and you need to know the 'good' price beforehand), some may sell you stuff you don't need ;)

Thoongeng,

you are already very helpful. I also read that some brands has built in stabiliser, just that most people I talk to recomend Nikon or Canon for DSLR. But I am just a newbie photographer so I need all the help the camera can give me. So the stabilisation thing from Pentax and Sony Entry level dslr sounds attractive.

Sorry for asking another newbie question.

Oh yah COMEX is coming, hope I can find time to go there and look see look see.

Thanks