What camera should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushabpmore

Sep 20, 2018
I've decided to make photography my hobby. I want to get a mid range camera (is that a good idea or is lower better for now?), I don't plan on upgrading for a year or two, I figure it will take me some time and a lot of practice to go for something better if need be later on. My budget is around $500, it can be a little more if it makes sense. I keep browsing on amazon and I feel overwhelmed as I know nothing about these cameras but I really want one. I've read a few posts here and there and watched some stuff on youtube, however Nox I don't know anyone I can ask irl and I just would like for someone to make sense of buying a camera. Do I need the Canon EOS Rebel T6 with bundle (I don't know what I'm looking at in those dslr bundles and I don't know if it's a deal or trash) for $ 550 on amazon (can I post a link at what I'm looking at or can you ShowBox guys pull it up by searching amazon?) or would just a camera and a certain lense do it for awhile? I would like to be able to use it to take pictures of my husbands band playing indoors/outdoors at night and during the day. I would love to be able to take nice shots of my kids playing sports (football & ballet) as well as close ups. I think these cameras Mobdro can handle taking a decent video as well? It would be used for birthdays or holidays (where on the camera would the sound be recorded or is that an extra? I can't figure this one out at all, sorry if it is dumb to ask.) See this is where I wouldn't mind going over the budget because I was planning on buying a video cam that can record at night but if a photo cam can handle the occasional video that would be awesome and square away that purchase. I just don't know if it would be able to record in the dark is that even a thing with these types of cameras?

Thank you for reading through my scattered brain post, please help!

Last edited:
Practically any modern camera can do those (including video with sound) things you mentioned, and that includes smartphone cameras as well. The difference is probably in image quality, but if people can't tell the difference then no point getting high end stuff at the start, especially when budget is limited.

As any camera can do those stuff, everyone will give suggestions of their favorite, so I'll start off with mine. I'll suggest you get one of the higher end compact cameras eg Sony RX100 series, Canon G7X series, Panasonic Lumix LX10 / TZ100 / TZ200. Probably have to look at 2nd hand models to fit your budget. Reason being they are small so easy to bring around, and many offer decent low light performance (together with better control over depth of field). Even when you grow into the hobby and get a higher end interchangeable lens camera, you can still bring the compact around as a 2nd body.

Just to clarify something. Is your budget of $500 in US dollars or in Singapore dollars?

As this is a forum based in Singapore, prices normally stated are in Singapore dollars.

Your current budget fits 2nd hand prices of compact cameras or entry level DSLRS only.

Reactions: kei1309
Hi! I know it’s a bit old thread but still I want to share my opinion here. Buy Sony Alpha 6000. It's the latest camera launched by Sony and comes with latest technology that anyone professional can wish for. It is compact in size and hence easy to carry anywhere.

A6000? That was released in 2014
Do you mean the A6400? If so, specs seem nice especially the AF system but IBIS is an obvious omission.

1. Fujifilm X-T4. The best all-round camera you can buy. ...
  2. Canon EOS R6. A superb camera with best-in-class features. ...
  3. Nikon Z6 II. No longer the mirrorless king, but not far behind. ...
  4. Sony A7 III. Still one of the best full-frame cameras around. shareit get-vidmateapk.com

Status
Not open for further replies.