what camera do you recommend 4 me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pops

Apr 29, 2004
Hello all, this is my first post, so i thought i'd make it a good one...
Firstly, thanks for the excellent info and discussions that are available for us to read! i was just going to post my question but then i started reading... 3 hours (literally!) later and i am still reading, so i suppose i'd better get askin'

i've got a Minolta dynax 5xi SLR at the moment, and i am looking at getting a digital camera in addition to, or as a replacement for, the Minolta.
a rough idea of what i would like is below.
i know i'm a bit fussy maybe, but if you don't ask... :)

3.2 Mp CCD 2048x1536 images
3x optical zoom 35-105mm f/2.8-? with good lens quality
Program AE, Shutter-speed priority, Aperture priority and Manual modes
Movie mode w/sound, 640x480 res
15 seconds to 1/2000 second Shutter speeds
Center-weighted or Spot metering
Selectable ISO settings from 50 to 400
Powered by standard AA type batteries
Waterproof Case option
USB and video out
additional lens and filter options
Interval Timer 1 hour plus

adaptors to take photos thro my telescope would also be good :)
any one know if i can get an adaptor for my Minolta telephoto lens?

Hey, that should keep you busy for a while ;-)
oh, and if i could get the basic camera for around the £200-250 price <g> (giggles with that funny laugh people have when they ask for what seems to be the impossible!)
thank you for reading through that lot!
God bless,
Austin

pops said:
Firstly, thanks for the excellent info and discussions that are available for us to read! i was just going to post my question but then i started reading... 3 hours (literally!) later and i am still reading, so i suppose i'd better get askin'

i've got a Minolta dynax 5xi SLR at the moment, and i am looking at getting a digital camera in addition to, or as a replacement for, the Minolta.

Powered by standard AA type batteries
Waterproof Case option
USB and video out
additional lens and filter options
Interval Timer 1 hour plus

adaptors to take photos thro my telescope would also be good :)
any one know if i can get an adaptor for my Minolta telephoto lens?

Hey, that should keep you busy for a while ;-)
oh, and if i could get the basic camera for around the £200-250 price <g> (giggles with that funny laugh people have when they ask for what seems to be the impossible!)
thank you for reading through that lot!
God bless,
Austin

looks like the a70/a75 fits the bill.

Yeah, agree that Canon A70 is prob the one that fits your requirement. I happen to own one. It's prob the best in class at the price/features range. Go to www.dpreview.com for a review of this camera.

Pictures are rather "soft", but you can adjust that easily by changing the default settings to more sharpening. Picture quality is quite bad when you bump it up to ISO 200-400, so this camera is a "fair weather" one, which require significant post-processing if you need higher ISO. Can't expect too much right?

I'd recommend this camera if you intend to change to SLR later on. It offers some control over the camera, unlike other point-and-shoot in the same price range. So it'll ease some pain if you decide to make the switch later on.

pops said: