What camera bag are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RossChang

May 2, 2004
rossblogspace.blogspot.com
Just trying to find out what are the most popular camera bags around, which bag, what model, why you choose it over the other, which is more longer lasting... etc etc etc... ;p

I use a Billingham Hadley Small bag. It is durable and the padding of the bag is very good.
Best of all, the padding can be taken out while the whole bag is put to wash!

a green army satchel for street shooting or going out with friends...low key, discreet and don't have to tell the whole world you are carrying a camera. Lowepro Orion Trekker for small-scale shoots where i'm bringing more than 1 lens, but still need mobility and discretion. lastly, Lowepro Stealth Reporter 650 for carrying all sorts of zup-pa-lang like lenses, bodies, laptop, flash. shoulder bags are still the best for stuffing. bags are more 'rigid' in a way...can't stuff too much or things will get badly squashed or fall out the moment you open the bag.

RossChang said:
Just trying to find out what are the most popular camera bags around, which bag, what model, why you choose it over the other, which is more longer lasting... etc etc etc... ;p

I've been happy with the Tamrac series. Although I think I may be in the minority. From the outings I've been on the Lowepro seems to be a more popular series.

Tamrac Pro 8 - realatively large bag, holds all my gear, has a great shoulder strap, too big to carry all day.

Tamrac Velocity 3 - smaller messenger style bag, good for body/lens, 1 extra lens and flash, strap could use better padding though.

Tamrac Photo-Video 1 - small bag, body/lens only, very easy to carry if all you need is the body/lens.

I'm using a LowePro Toploader. Got it becos of it's ability to be carried on the front. It comes with a sling for carrying sideways as well. Thought it would be useful if i needed to carry an additional bag on my back(e.g when backpacking, climbing trips). However, it's a 1 camera 1 lens(at most can squeeze in my Nikkor 50mm f/1.8) bag as it does not have much space. To me it's the bag if you want:

1) Get your stuff from the front.
2) Don't want you bag to be picked/slashed in crowded places.(Lots of exp equipment inside!)
3) Want the option to carry something else on your back.
4) It's an AW so it fits the requirements for climbing trips.
5) If you do not intend to change lens for a shoot.
6) If you ride a motorcycle and need to pillion.

Cons:
1) Limited space for more lens but can still squeeze in a speedlight.
2) It's pyramid in shape so it does not sit well on ground sometimes.
3) The front load harness makes you look like you are wearing a bra.

May get the stealth reporter in the future depending on the size of the lens i purchase next.

Yea, am using a Lowepro 75AW myself... but can't dump in more lenses except for a 50mm F/1.8 at the bottom...

Reason I started this thread cos I'm in search for another bag to carry more and I'm not really fond of the Stealth Reporter series... been looking at Tenba, Domke and *gosh if I have the moola* -> billingham...

still undecisive... :dunno:

Old S&F Rover Light which i used when i used to need to bring books, notes and normal school stuff on top of my camera.

Stealth Reporter 300 AW - The general camera bag. Not too large, but large enuff for a standard lens, a telephoto, a wide and even a 50mm plus a flash and some small stuff like batts... Mate it with a shoulder harness and it's actually quite nice to carry as it's not so large that they'll obstruct movement.

Stealth Reporter 650 AW - the muther of all my bags, used when i wanna bring my laptop out together with my camera. A little too large for my meager photogear, but i need it's laptop space. Was considering the Crumpler december quarter as well, but choosen the lowepro due to better padding, smaller size (i dun have a 17 inch laptop) and better design for the camera compartment.

And when I go out, and don't wanna carry so much, I rip the insert from my rover and stuff it in my cheapo $20 street bag.. :embrass:

edit: Oh yeah, the backpack harness, strictly speaking, wasn't meant for the stealth reporter series of packs, but with some creative thinking, and without needing anything more than the harness and the clinch straps provided on the bag (provided you are not using them), you can remove the belt portion of the harness and attach the shoulder portion of the harness to the bag. carries pretty well if you as me... Works for the 650 as well, makes it much more easier to carry since it's so huge and heavy when filled with good stuff, another advantage over the crumpler.

Lowepro Nova 1 AW kept in my FourSkin gunny sack. ;p

LowePro Toploader Mini.It fits my S5000Z w/wide angle lens attached , quite well.Still looking for a holster though.

Crumpler Shrinkle backpack for my D70, kit lens, 70-300mm Sigma, 50mm f1.8, SB800, Feisol CF tripod and all the cleaning stuff. Abit tight for D70 body... Must bend partitions abit. Abit regret not getting the bigger Formal Lounge or Brian's HotTub. But otherwise super padded, and can comfortably hold the tripod at the side. This is one rugged mother you can probably toss around and not hurt your camera :)

Do you all only have 1 bag ??. Too many to list here.
Bags use depends on what I want to bring out on that particular day.
RossChang don't think lah, get the Tenba :bsmilie:

Dennis said:
ya, get the tenba, $250 only

wonder how much the harness cost

i have a stealth reporter 300 for general walkabout shooting and a mini trekker which i pack all my gear into when on holiday.
but the mini trekker is solely used for transport only, once i reached the hotel, will only take the equipment that i foresee i will need for that particular day from the mini trekker and pack them into the reporter300.

-Lowepro- :thumbsup:
1) TLZ mini
2) Nova3
3) Compact AW
4) Mini Trekker AW

RC... Tenba 513 is for you... discreet like a working briefcase and expandable to the desired size if you really need it. Need another demo? You can always call me 96456423 :)

quekky said:
ya, get the tenba, $250 only

wonder how much the harness cost

just use the good old army bra lor. every singaporean guys are given 1 for free mah.

myself :

1) micro trekker
2) mini trekker
3) tenba metro (wrong spelling)
4) tenba (the biggest one they have, cant remember the model)
5) canon free gift sling bag.

each for diff purpose.

Lowepro Mini Trekker AW! :lovegrin:

It's good for travelling and holds all my equipment for event shoots. I can keep 2 bodies, 2 flashes, 4 lenses plus other stuff like filters, films etc...no problems at all. But I find it a bit ley cheh to use a backpack when shooting events. Am looking at purchasing a Stealth Reporter 400AW...any other suggestions?

Dennis said:
Eh... u old timer accumulate throughout the years mar... :bsmilie:

sykestang said:
RC... Tenba 513 is for you... discreet like a working briefcase and expandable to the desired size if you really need it. Need another demo? You can always call me 96456423 :)
Was considering the Tenba until finding out that it is too squeeze putting in a 300D + Grip + 24-70 without detaching the lens or the grip... ( and of course later-on, a 300D + Grip + 70-200 IS ( or a 100-300 Sigma F/4) without detaching lens )

The camera insert is too narrow... and the expanded camera insert too big?... hmm...

Tried out the Domke J2 yesterday and kinda like the size and the way the whole insert move aside so I can dump in cam + grip + lens... my only complaint is the J2 does look a bit ugly and no leather lining like the 513... kekekekekekeke....

Status
Not open for further replies.