What camara for a newbie??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoesmama

Sep 22, 2004
Arizona
I don't know if this is allowed here but I did a search and didn't really find much.

I would like recommendations on beginner camaras. Film or digital, in fact I prefer some recommendations of each. I can't spend more than $200-300 to start. :)

u may try canon A400 should cost wthin your budget...
3.2mp digicam... how izzit? ;)

A400 dun have much mode to play with
like TV/AV mode and not sure if it has full manual control mode with iso/shutter speed/apreture setting

200-300 really hard to find, even in 2nd market ....
may be look for 2nd hard A60/A70 ? not sure if anyone selling at this price ...

What about for under $500 the $300-$500 range?

My brother gave me his old 2.0 mp Canon A40 and it takes good pics but print quality is not great. He also has a new Sony that is 5.0 I don't remember the model # but I borrow it from time to time and it takes clear pictures half the time and blurry ones the other half. I also have a 35 mm Canon camara but its nothing fancy it cost me about $80 4 years ago I just never buy film so I use the Canon A40 most.

I want to take a photography classe in the Spring at communitity college I got to. If not then by next Fall for sure.

If u just want some fun with photographing in certain place or occasion only, there r many choices from second line camera manufacturer which may give picture to ur delight, at ur price range.

If u want to take photography as a serious hobby, even u r new, go for entry level cam with some manual control (eg. Canon Axx). Without any control on ur camera, hardly for u to learn anything ....

:)

I think you should get any camera with good functions but most of all, have manual or creative modes like M/Av/Tv. If you plan to take this hobby very seriously, why not try with a film SLR with a kit lens?

Cheers!

winner8212 said:
How much is that M/Av/Tv?

These are actually camera modes....manual, aperture priority and speed priority...normally on canon, sigma...etc...Nikon will be in M/A/S/P modes...

Zoesmama said:
What about for under $500 the $300-$500 range?

My brother gave me his old 2.0 mp Canon A40 and it takes good pics but print quality is not great. He also has a new Sony that is 5.0 I don't remember the model # but I borrow it from time to time and it takes clear pictures half the time and blurry ones the other half. I also have a 35 mm Canon camara but its nothing fancy it cost me about $80 4 years ago I just never buy film so I use the Canon A40 most.

I want to take a photography classe in the Spring at communitity college I got to. If not then by next Fall for sure.

may be A75/A80
should be around the price

Yeah I'd like something with manual controls. Particularly shutter speed and I'd like sepia & B/W both.

I won't be able to buy it for several more months so I suppose some will have come down a tad in price.

I would defientely like to build it into a good hobby. I mostly take pictures of my daughter now but when we go on vacations I love taking landscape pictures too. I have a lot to learn. The most I've done is read a digital photography book. LOL But I probably won't spend much time with it for a $1000 camara plus I have nowhere near that kind of budget for it. :)

I'm thinking maybe starting with Canon A80. I really do love the Canon camaras I have 35mm and the A40 but I want something higher than 2.0 MP. But in future I'd like something with more control.

Zoesmama said:
Yeah I'd like something with manual controls. Particularly shutter speed and I'd like sepia & B/W both.

I won't be able to buy it for several more months so I suppose some will have come down a tad in price.

I would defientely like to build it into a good hobby. I mostly take pictures of my daughter now but when we go on vacations I love taking landscape pictures too. I have a lot to learn. The most I've done is read a digital photography book. LOL But I probably won't spend much time with it for a $1000 camara plus I have nowhere near that kind of budget for it. :)

I'm thinking maybe starting with Canon A80. I really do love the Canon camaras I have 35mm and the A40 but I want something higher than 2.0 MP. But in future I'd like something with more control.

serveral more months i dun think the A80 will be still available brand new
and with the speed of canon produce the new camera now may have Axx already using DigicII already

G series?..

yeah well I won't have the money till then.

I really want this one but way out of budget. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=product&id=1061769822853&skuId=5992848

But they have a S model that has lots of features but is only 3.2 MP.

maybe by the time I can put some money towards this The Rebel will have come down enough in price. :)

Zoesmama said:
yeah well I won't have the money till then.

I really want this one but way out of budget. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=product&id=1061769822853&skuId=5992848

But they have a S model that has lots of features but is only 3.2 MP.

maybe by the time I can put some money towards this The Rebel will have come down enough in price. :)

thats a 300D just wait for half year more should be able to get a 2nd one less than 1000

S series should be better than A series
as canon market it 1 class higher than A series

If it's not OT, I'm selling my Dimage 7 which I think is a good beginner's camera since it allows me to play with manual settings and can utilise manual zoom, manual focus and manual just about wat slr offers. The manual zoom uses the turn style which is pretty neat, kinda like a real slr cam. haha.

:) Can check the buy sell forum ...

Status
Not open for further replies.