What cam to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beivied

May 8, 2003
East, Singapore
Hello, am totally bewildered on which camera to buy.
I need a camera with no less than three megapixels, with compatible underwater housing from the same manufacturer (cheaper) and, fast responsive shutter with as little noise as possible.

I can only consider Canon, Olympus and Sony for cameras with compatible underwater housing. Am very tempted to buy C5050 but I have read reviews about the shutter lag which I think can be a seriously horrible problem. Motion blur? I am not too sure how C5050 is. Please help to suggest ... thanks!!!!!!!

with limited budget, yes. a c5050 would most prob eat up all i can afford, leaving little or nothing for the underwater housing. but i can leave that first, since my next dive is a month away and it will be a course. i can sacrifice underwater photography for a while and spend the money on getting a good camera first. One thing i like about Olympus is that they have an internal strobe diffuser on their underwater housing. Good for people like me who cannot afford external strobes.

So .... summing up, my budget is about 1200. C5050's market price is more than that, but I am quite sure I can find a cheaper price, somehow.

C5050 seems to be very good, just worried about the shutter lag and noise , which can make me wanna tear my hair out.

Shutter lag? Can't really comment on that cos I still novice :embrass:

I find that the overall video quality is not as good as my cybershoot, and the flash does take a while to charge up.

But price is out of your $1.2k for sure. You won't have enough for adaptor ring, waterproof case, memory card etc ....

link to discussion on underwater case for 5050
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32255

Hi hi ...

yeah i realised about the limit of my budget. but i thought maybe i shouldnt sacrifice the quality of my pictures for that .. so, i would rather spend to get the camera first, before i add on stuff ....

and thank you for your link provided!! ;)

Originally posted by beivied
Hi hi ...

yeah i realised about the limit of my budget. but i thought maybe i shouldnt sacrifice the quality of my pictures for that .. so, i would rather spend to get the camera first, before i add on stuff ....

and thank you for your link provided!! ;)

Beivied, if you are on a tight buget, get a camera like a A70 for practicing u/w photography first.

That also leaves you with more cash for the housing and hopefully a strobe.

My advice is, spend within budget 1st, then see if you really like u/w photography, before spending more into it. Unlike normal 'land' equipment which is easier to sell, if suddenly you lose interest in it, you would suffer quite a loss. The fetching price of 2nd hand u/w photography equipment is about 50% of the orignal price. To date, in just 1 yr+ of u/w photogtaphy, I lost almost $1K just seliing off my 2nd u/w photgraphy equipment/

Hi Lanxx

I had already bought the C5050Z. Dunno if it is a right decision yet ;p

Hi Lanxx

Nice choice, you will not regret it. I am using it too for u/w photography.

Hi Lanxx

:thumbsup:

Right decision lah. Don't look back once you have the camera...

Hi Lanxx, Hi NorthernLights,

thank you for the affirmative response, haha! Ai ya, the reason why I would ever regret buying the camera is that I emptied every single cent of my savings you see. Now I am a bankrupt, through and through :cry:

Now struggling for exams, also no time to play with my expensive new toy ;p But I did take a few pictures and I do like what I see, as compared to my previous A40.

You two own C5050 too? Can I see some of your pictures? Purr-lease???? Esp your underwater photos, Lanxx!!!

Hi Lanxx, Hi NorthernLights,

thank you for the affirmative response, haha! Ai ya, the reason why I would ever regret buying the camera is that I emptied every single cent of my savings you see. Now I am a bankrupt, through and through :cry:

Now struggling for exams, also no time to play with my expensive new toy ;p But I did take a few pictures and I do like what I see, as compared to my previous A40.

You two own C5050 too? Can I see some of your pictures? Purr-lease???? Esp your underwater photos, Lanxx!!!

You broke? me too. LOL :cry:
Yes, I own the 5050 too.
Click on my signature for u/w photos. Only 1 set of pics of the lastest pics there. But I was using canon s30.

as for the 5050, it is still super dry. waiting for my strobe and other stuff to arrive from Japan before I will take it for it's 1st dive.

Hi Lanxx

I have seen your underwater shots using S30 ^_^

Dare not to show you mine ah, super jia lat, hahahha... using the A40 la. Hope to see your C5050Z shots soon!

Hi Lanxx

I have seen your underwater shots using S30 ^_^

Dare not to show you mine ah, super jia lat, hahahha... using the A40 la. Hope to see your C5050Z shots soon!

Show lah, I also started badly.
If you show, then can exchange pointers and advice mah!
No one is going to laugh at you. All start of from the same level mah. Needs time and practice

Originally posted by lanxx
Show lah, I also started badly.
If you show, then can exchange pointers and advice mah!
No one is going to laugh at you. All start of from the same level mah. Needs time and practice

Very intriguing Lanxx!!

Diving must have been fun!!:thumbsup:

www.pbase.com/beivied

heh heh, just started this little website ... no underwater photos in there yet la, cos i really think they are horrible.. no strobe some more leh. feel free to comment! just watch out for that PIANG! sound of my fragile little heart :D

NorthernLights, diving is really, really, really fun. to me la. took me a lot of courage to dip my toes into the water in the first place, but i am very glad that i did. changed my life. made me a bankrupt. c5050z contributed to that status la. but i am a happy bankrupt lor, hehe...

lanxx, whats your diver status? i only finished owd. hope to become a divemaster by end of next year!!! too broke to realize this ambition by this year, hehehe... and too lousy ;p

lanxx, whats your diver status? i only finished owd. hope to become a divemaster by end of next year!!! too broke to realize this ambition by this year, hehehe... and too lousy ;p [/B]

DM :embrass:
you taking with which DS?

errr... pai seh .. what is DS? hahaha, see! i dont even know what you meant... if you mean which diving centre i am taking with, it is too far away for me to think about that now. i havent even taken my AOWD leh. my friend is taking the DM course soon I think. i wouldnt be able to go on that at all this year. no money no time ah :cry:

errr... pai seh .. what is DS? hahaha, see! i dont even know what you meant... if you mean which diving centre i am taking with, it is too far away for me to think about that now. i havent even taken my AOWD leh. my friend is taking the DM course soon I think. i wouldnt be able to go on that at all this year. no money no time ah :cry:

DS=Dive Shop.

Dun rush DM course, log more dives 1st, get your buoyancy right 1st or not you will not enjoy diving and how to assist others if bouyancy 'not at home'?

How dives you log liao?

Hahahhahahaha.... no la, i wouldnt be going for the DM course so soon la. I havent even gotten my AOWD course, rescue diver yet... It is just a goal I am working towards to... errr, ok, havent start working towards, rather looking forward to ^_^

I also dont have the money leh ... DM course so expensive ... Mmm, I think earliest would be end of next year liao, so Lanxx dont have to worry for me ;)

You use external strobe for your photograhy? One or two? How much did you pay for it huh? Actually I could have gotten a strobe instead for my A40 instead of buying a C5050Z. But I was thinking my interest is not just in underwater photography, especially I am on land most of the time. So during my surface intervals (thats what I feel i am doing now :D ) i would love to take good pictures as well ^o^

Hahahhahahaha.... no la, i wouldnt be going for the DM course so soon la. I havent even gotten my AOWD course, rescue diver yet... It is just a goal I am working towards to... errr, ok, havent start working towards, rather looking forward to ^_^

I also dont have the money leh ... DM course so expensive ... Mmm, I think earliest would be end of next year liao, so Lanxx dont have to worry for me ;)

You use external strobe for your photograhy? One or two? How much did you pay for it huh? Actually I could have gotten a strobe instead for my A40 instead of buying a C5050Z. But I was thinking my interest is not just in underwater photography, especially I am on land most of the time. So during my surface intervals (thats what I feel i am doing now :D ) i would love to take good pictures as well ^o^

1 strobe for now. Had the arms, tray and storbe specially flown in from Japan. The strobe is could only be found in Japan. They keep the best to themselves :) Also not to mention, cheaper then those u can get in SG.

Status
Not open for further replies.