What cam should i buy?!? Cameranoobb!

cameranoobb

Feb 4, 2011
I want to get a cam but able to tk gd night shots.
Eg: Me with the view when I'm on sg flyer/mbs/clubs n etc..
Always have the problem, is either myself in the pic is brighter or the other way round. Can't get both the lighting view n myself!! Help help.. =<
Looking at something not too complicated!!

hi hi. if that's the case, any camera will do the job you're describing. but i would suggest a DSLR if you want good image quality.

what you need is not a camera, what you need is to learn how to use the camera.

depending on your needs, budget and the people around you, your decision will be made.

have fun shooting!

What camera are you currently using? The simple way to do it is to set your ISO to something relatively high, say 800 (or whatever is acceptable to you), put the camera on night portrait mode, make sure flash is on, and use a tripod or some other support if you have to.

Nikon D3S

Always have the problem, is either myself in the pic is brighter or the other way round. Can't get both the lighting view n myself!! Help help.. =<

hi hi. if that's the case, any camera will do the job you're describing. but i would suggest a DSLR if you want good image quality.

what you need is not a camera, what you need is to learn how to use the camera.

depending on your needs, budget and the people around you, your decision will be made.

have fun shooting!

overexposed and underexposed.

self portrait....

good night shots.
---

answer is there above.

That is a bit of a tricky situation, lighting-wise.
If you don't understand WHY there's a difference in brightness, it would not help to become an 'equipment-chaser'. There's no magic solution that I know of.

Photography is about capturing light.
Light intensity drops greatly as you increase the distance to the source of the light. For example if I shine a torchlight right in your face from 10cm away, you'll probably feel irritated. If I stand 100m away with the same torchlight, you may not even notice it.

You tried to take a night scene (yourself with a nice scenery at the background).

So, I assume the background is at least 50-100m from your back.

Scenario 1 - Your face is brighter (overexposed) and the background is almost black (underexposed)
My Guess: Your flash fired and causing the background to darken.

Scenario 2 - Your face dark (underexpose) and the background is probably clear (or abit underexposed)

My Guess: You did not fire flash and causing ur face to be dark. Camera capture images using light, since got no "light" from your face, therefore it's dark. The background probably have a brighter source that's why it can be captured more clearly.

Lighting wise is as said by ZerocoolAstra. Probably what you need is a blending of images, as in HDR (taking 3 different shots. Underexposed, Overexposed and Normal). I'm not an expert in HDR but, try reading up from Google if you are interested in it.

btw, What you probably need is not a new camera. I suggest you play around more with your current camera and find some workaround it. A new camera most probably won't be useful if the basics are wrong.

You want to have something 'not so complicated' for a situation that is somewhat complicated? :bsmilie:
Cameras cannot think or read your mind. Cameras work according patterns and algorithms, no camera will recognize the Singapore flyer or MBS and your mom and dad in front. It's all patterns of different colours and brightness (or darkness). If you can't resolve the situation by telling the camera what is important then how do you think a camera could do that?
So learn some basics of photography and even with your current camera (guessing you might have some Point and Shoot cam) you will be able to get a decent image.
DSLR is nowhere 'not too complicated', it's rather the opposite. DSLR demands your input in a much more precise way in order to get good images. If you don't understand what you need to do no camera (however expensive) can help. It would be wasting money and calling for frustration.
Start reading here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

This is the one for you:

ECTL220ZBPRUS_600x600_1.jpg

http://www.samsung.com/us/photography/digital-cameras/EC-TL220ZBPRUS

Ultimate camwhore cam.

You wan to take a portrait at night in a moving flyer with a properly exposed background? Try a camera with good noise suppression.

Just get a good performing high ISO camera like the Pentax Kr and Kx (older model).
Good value for money in my opinion.
Good features, high ISO performance.

You can compare Kr and Kx performance for all ISO against other makes. Probably the best performance in its price range, even against those that are more expensive.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

As mentioned by others, the more important thing is to learn to you your camera properly.
Even a PnS camera is able to do what you want.

1. Use a tripod, set camera to highest acceptable ISO (eg. 800) and use flash. The PnS camera on ISO800 should pick off enough of the lights in the background while the flash will expose you.

2. Use 'Night mode', flash and use a tripod.

Remember that you may need to stand still for a while for the camera to expose for the backgnd. ;)
Gd luck