what broadband to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chyeo

May 6, 2002
Woodlands
hi all... i gonna subscribe broadband for my home soon... so i need some advice and recommendations... my budget is <$60 per month (so i guess i can't take the 512 plans)... please help. thanks!

SCV cable 1500 is your best bet if you live in landed property and are not too concerned about online gaming.

Originally posted by Zerstorer
SCV cable 1500 is your best bet if you live in landed property and are not too concerned about online gaming.

well i live in hdb (considered landed?) and mostly i will be using it to surf web sites and download stuff like movies, mp3, anime, mtv, etc... hope tat helps...

Yo yo! Think if you dun play online games, MaxOnline will be better. Download speeds can get crazily fast when very few people are online. :D

Originally posted by Mr Fish
Yo yo! Think if you dun play online games, MaxOnline will be better. Download speeds can get crazily fast when very few people are online. :D

hey ah fish! nice to see u here! how much is maxonline? can bundle with scv sports channel anot? i wanna watch soccer leh..

Originally posted by chyeo
well i live in hdb (considered landed?) and mostly i will be using it to surf web sites and download stuff like movies, mp3, anime, mtv, etc... hope tat helps...

For flats it would depend on the density of users in your area. Those who live in terrace, semi-d houses would get the full 200KB bandwidth just about anytime. Even gaming is good in such areas.

I stay in hdb area. As do several of my frens who like me are MaxOnline users. We all have very decent d/l speeds. Haven't experienced online gaming lag yet (since 2001 Sep). :)
I do my d/l exclusively in the wee hours of the morning, so I'm not affected by neighbours watching MaxTV or surfing.

get scvmaxonline suits your budget and is real good was once a scv user

take note the maxonline 1500 you have to buy their modem(100+ i think) n the contract is 12mths :)

bundle with sports channel.. can pay more :p would be even better deal if u get starhub MTV code (mobile) free more mths!

Check out today's paper. They just release the 3 mbps version! Price is slightly more ex at 76 per month.

uploads are capped (as before for the 1500 versions), only downloads are at 3000mbps.

It's $58.24 per month with 2 months free.

http://maxonline.starhub.com/promo/2monthsfree/

Now got new attractive package Maxonline 3000 with free router cum cable modem plus wifi pc card or usb adaptor. A bit ex though.

You not staying in hall liao ah?!?

To get the free wireless router cum cable modem, you must sign a 24 months contract.

It's $58.24 per month with 2 months free.

http://maxonline.starhub.com/promo/2monthsfree/

Now got new attractive package Maxonline 3000 with free router cum cable modem plus wifi pc card or usb adaptor. A bit ex though.

You not staying in hall liao ah?!?

maybe not staying liao... see how first...

anyway thanks to everyone... great advice! :thumbsup:

Firstly the 1500kbps and the 3000kbps download speeds I believe refer to the local (or Singapore-based) sites.

Cos, to my knowledge, all the ISP's broadband are limited to 512kbps per connection for overseas traffic as they (the ISPs) have to "buy" bandwidth from the Singapore IX or Internet Exchange.

If it is really 3000kbps for overseas sites, I am sure it will beat all the other ISP by 6 times compared to a 512kbps.

For broadband you need to compare the pros and cons of the 2 major forms of broadbands in Singapore.

They are the Cable-based and ADSL-based.

As for the Cable-based,
a) They are easily available as most homes have SCV points.
b) They are easy to use, no need to "dial-up", as you are connected the moment you power on the PC and enter Windows.
c) The use of cable, means you need not convert your phone lines to digital and less "disturbance" to your telephones.

However, since SCV does not loan it's cable modems any more, you need to BUY them.

So, you BUY a cable modem and you can only use it for Starhub MaxOnline as there are NO other ISPs in Singapore which you can use your cable modem for. If you switch you will have to sell your modem.

It's slower than ADSL, (ok, I know a lot of people will say otherwise, I am a former SCV user (for 1 year) and it a current ADSL user (for 2 years) and I must say the upload and download for the ADSL is faster, my colleague on SCV also agree.)

Due to SCV's habit of bundling it's offers with Maxonline, if you do not subscribe to MaxTV, you will have to pay a bit higher than users of both MaxTV and Maxonline.

there is no real competition since it's the only cable-based provider and to switch will mean buying an ADSL modem and converting the phone lines to digital, so most won't.

As for ADSL.

The downside is.

It uses the phone line, so if you have a PC in your room you need a phone socket. And you need micro-filters for all your phones in your house, if they are using the same line as the ADSL. (unless you have 2nd line)

It's force you to convert your phone lines to digital and hence the above inconvience and any problems with your phone line will result in your internet disconnection or voice quality in the phones.

It is expensive if you tend to move house frequently, like if you live in a rented room. As you have to convert the digital line back to analog and convert another analog to digital. It costs $72.80, I think to "move" the connection.

you have to buy an ADSL modem (though the prices are cheaper now, some packages include a free USB one, with a contract)

The advantages
It's faster and adding a 2nd phone socket is cheaper than a 2nd SCV point if you do not have either in your room.

There are at least 2 competitors in the ADSL market and a price cut by one will most likely induce a similar cut by the other, and as a consumer you decide who to sign up with.

If you are unsatisified and decide to switch to another ADSL service provider, you can use your existing modem and DSL phone line with little extra costs incurred.

For me, my ISP, gave me a new price after 2 years of contract, which I must say is attractive, and I signed an extra 1 more year at the new lower price.

SCV's 2 months free package (abt $100+) will only subsidies the cable modem price. you need to think long term.

SCV's frequent maintainece and downtime, result in you not being able to download files overnight sometimes, as the downtime will kick in after midnight abt 1am and result in a broken connection.

It's more than prices than mattars for broadband service. It's the package deal and the long term service quality of the ISP to consider.

Cheap ISP with connection problems or slow speeds could make your broadband experience unenjoyable.

how to convert analog lines to digital? any hardware installation reqd?

Would like to bring out that the customer services of maxonline is really bad.

The longest I have experience "no connection" is 10-12 hours on a sunday. Was really angry with them.

Tried calling their service line and was put on hold for more than 5mins.
(Their email-wing customer services is much better.)

Called on a previous occasion due to no connection. They asked me to prvide ip using "ip config". Then tehy say, they do not trouble shooting for router. (After I finally get thru while waiting for 5mins). I tried without the router. Still can't connect. I was put on hold a longer time this time tound.

So, all and all 2 "no connection" incident. All on weekends.

They are good in ways pointed out by others. I am using Cable TV, so far no problem. However, if there is problem, dun expect much help from the help lines(pun intended).

wow winston has given a really detailed breakdown in layman terms too! can't find anything to disagree with him at all. ;)

i'm with him on ADSL being "better" so i guess chyeo, if u wanna go ADSL then it's the choice of singnet or pacnet. this one will give u more headache. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.