what broadband to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I using PacNet 384Kbps. About $60/mth (Unlimited).
Dats cheap & good. Coz Singnet 256Kbps cost the same.
Same price but slower fot Singnet

singnet got 384? coz i got singnet email account so maybe can retain loh...save trouble haha

Sigh.... was about to set my mind on getting SCV.....
Looks like all broadband service providers here sucks.....

Heard Singnet and Pacnet have this problem of getting d/c from time to time....

Originally posted by xin
Sigh.... was about to set my mind on getting SCV.....
Looks like all broadband service providers here sucks.....

Heard Singnet and Pacnet have this problem of getting d/c from time to time....

Get SCV lah.

If your tel line is noisy like mine is, you will definitely get d/c-ed. :devil:

What's more they only give you a cheapo USB modem ... which have whole lot of compatibility problems lah .. driver problems lah .. and if you use Linux forget about USB.

Actually, there are pros and cons with regards to the different providers...

For ADSL, (Pacnet, SNBB), the connection is pretty much reliable and stable, but the download speed is slow compared to cable.
But it has a much better upload speed though.

For cable, it has a much faster download speed, but its downtime is much more than ADSL, and uploads are terribly capped. Furthermore, if you are living in a 'cable user' congested area, speeds will suffer.

And the speeds of your ADSL / cable are also dependent on the signal strength that your lines have.

If you are living in a old estate where your internal phone wiring is very old, chances are that you may have a slower ADSL connection. Then you will be prone to disconnection.

I'm using SNBB 512k, it's great, but one thing is that I find that the speeds are slow (compared to cable).

If you yearn for the fast speeds of cable.... but yet you want fast upload speeds as well.....

get Magix, but it's darn ex.
And quite prone to downtime as well. My friend's ATM connection does fail at times.

One way to try out cable is to literally borrow your friend's cable modem over the weekend, plug it in and use it during peak hours.
Note the download speeds and upload speeds and stuff.
If it's pretty fast over weekend peak hours, you are quite safe to get cable.

my SCV 100+ kilobytes/second. I don't leave computer on 24/7 so the downtime for maintenance late at nite doesn't bother me much.

$58.24/mth pretty reasonable if whole family uses it.

satisfied user of qala. though sometimes no connections for a few mins but can live with it speed is good

now qala.. stop accepting home users

Thanks guys! I'll go check it out soon! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.