What ascessories should I get for my first camera?

jeffrey0603

May 4, 2016
Singapore
Hi, so I am getting my first camera soon. It is a mirrorless interchangeable lens. Just want to know what sort of accessories do I need to get at the shop. I was thinking of the usual like SD card, cleaning tool, battery. Any other things which would be useful for a newbie?:):)

Don't get:
- UV filter, any other filters that you don't know about
- Wide Angle lenses or adapters
- Any lenses other than what comes with the camera (called kit lens)

agree with shierwin;
dry cabinet is needed, if you want to save money and less hassle in long run.

but tripod may not be necessary at this moment, it depends on what kind of subjects you like to photograph, and it is complete unless if you are too lazy to bring it out to use.

and agree with Mod Octarine;
master with what you have in your hand first before buy another other piece of gears. Unless you find acquiring more gears is more fun than taking photos.

Last edited:
Just 2 cents....

If the shop ask you if u need a uv filter - personally I wont buy it from them
If you need a filter as a protector u can get a cheap clear filter... or if u really need a uv filter there are other cheaper place to get it from.

They probably will ask you to buy LCD protector as well ....
I know of people who do not place any protectors on their LCD and never got a single scratches.
Personally I just cut my own protector from those big sheet screen protector you can get from daiso for 2 SGD.

If money is not an issue then go ahead.

Last edited:
If you getting the camera with kit lens.
Just that will do and nothing else.

Make sure it works. Have battery n sd card. Screen protector. Good to have.

Then get a cleaning kit.

The rest. Can wait.

After that dry cabinet will be good to have to keep your gear in the long run.

Thats it. As for tripod. Filters. More lens etc. Those can wait. When you know what you're doing and when you need them. Then slowly you can fill them in.

Else. Just stick to what you have and take more picture.

Hi, so I am getting my first camera soon. It is a mirrorless interchangeable lens. Just want to know what sort of accessories do I need to get at the shop. I was thinking of the usual like SD card, cleaning tool, battery. Any other things which would be useful for a newbie?:):)
normally the shop will mark up quite a bit on the SD card which you are better off getting at Sim Lim shops. U probably can ask them to throw in a cleaning kit, screen protector. For batteries, Sony, Fuji and Olympus usually bundle in a free battery already (i.e. Total 2) so you don't need to get another unless u are heavy user. As for camera bags, TK photo and Cathay are well stocked. U can go check out at leisure pace and look for one u really like, no need to rush into it as some shops have really limited selection and u might end up overpaying for some crappy brands.

Hope this helps

If u don't have a lot of lens or camera body .. Then a domke wrap might be sufficient .. And any bag will become a camera bag

A simple rule/advise:

UNLESS you got tons of $$ to burn and do not care about prices, spend a few minutes with your fingers and do a simple price research or reviews via web for the accessories that you are interested in buying.

I would recommend:

1) Tripod (Budget dependent)
2) Lens Blower & Lens Pen
3) Remote Shutter Release
4) Memory Cards
5) Camera Bag (optional)

Whatever the shop try to sell a "wide lens converter", NEVER buy it.

It's a all time con job.

Buy some magazines and start learning techniques. Read. Study. Shoot. Review. Try again.

About 3-4 years from now you will begin to understand what you are doing! You can't buy that. :)

I started with a film camera and manual focus lenses...I figured it would help me understand digital better...:rolleyes:

Last edited: