What are your views regarding transsexuals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff chen

Sep 1, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
I am putting this thread up after watching Channel News Asia feature on Transsexuals in Singapore.

I hope that moderators would allow for this thread for frank exchage of views, of what singapore civil society views are regarding transsexuals.

If you have something to say, please do so in a civilised manner, no insinuation, derogatory remarks, name calling etc are not allowed. But please say what you really feel towards this group of people in Singapore.

I was watching the CNA programme last night and felt they were sometimes discriminated, misunderstood and I can empathise with the unique problems they face regarding employment, relationships and how society views and treats them. For the record, I am not a transsexual myself.

Kindly do not be judgemental (for example, it is wrong to be transsexual because god made you a man and then you transform yourself into woman etc).

I think its perfectly normal for males to transform themselves into woman. Its just like some females who like to dress themselves up as males, "butch" or whatever. Actually, they have to put up a lot of guts to dress themselves up. I don't think you would dare to, for guys, dress up in woman's clothings, even if you do have that figure, and walk around in public. By the way, I'm 100% normal male. ;)

Thanks Drudkh. For information, transsexuals and cross-dressers are not the same.

When I mean trasnsexuals, I mean those that have or are planning to undergone gender transformation to become member of the other sex. That means they are actually men who become women (vice versa) and not just in the dress sense.

These transsexuals actually go through hormone therapy, psychological counselling and even undergo a sex change to become member of the opposite sex.

Yes, I agree with you that it takes a lot of guts after watching some of them recount their experiences in life after transformation. For instance, it can be very hard when you get cheated in love and the guy that you think loves you leave you for another woman. If it happens to a transsexual several times in the person's lifetime, it can be very devastating, sometime it can even cause the transsexual to contemplate suicide.

Oppsy... so that's what you meant. :p Anyway, then I think transsexuals should have consider very carefully about their decision of the sex change. I don't know how to put it but they have to accept how their family, relatives & friends look at them. Its not as easy as a hair cut where it will grow long and eventually you can change to another hairstyle. This is permanent. Some will regret, and I believe they will be having a hard time for the rest of their lives.

to sound a bit callous... becoming transsexuals aren't any different from other major decisions in life, just affected by different factors all in all.
It's only the sex part that makes the story more interesting.

generally hard to accept...coz its still "not natural thing"...emm it feels like "somethign went wrong biologically/psychologically, i mean these guys/gals kinda like woke up one day and found themselves on the wrong side of the fence that kind of thingy...actually quite stressful for them as well. sighz

crossdressign for artistic entertainment purposes eg theatrical shows/tv comedy programmes..ok lah.

crossdressign as an interest...hmmz.. :think:

^_^

i use to have a friend that is one ... seen him transform from the 100% male that love soccer and fights in school to a skirt at changi .. hard for me to accept. But after reading and trying to understand i manage to kinda accpet he now her as who or what they are.

well she is happily married to a german guy and now in ang mo land ..

what i will never accept are gay men and gay marriage ... it is against all religion

--------------------------------------
got this from somewhere ...FYI only
-------------------------------------
SUMMARY DEFINITION:

Gender Dysphoria, literally a misery with regard to gender, is the condition of being in a state of conflict between gender and physical sex.

A transsexual is a person in which the sex-related structures of the brain that define gender identity are exactly opposite the physical sex organs of the body.

Put even more simply, a transsexual is a mind that is literally, physically, trapped in a body of the opposite sex.

IN A NUTSHELL: Transsexuality means having the wrong body for the gender one really is.

GRAND OVERVIEW:

Gender and Sex are very separate things, though the terms are often considered interchangeable by the less aware. Sex is physical form and function while Gender is a component of identity. There can be considered to be some legitimate overlap in that the brain is structured in many sex-differentiated ways, and the brain is the seat of identity. However, with regard to the dilemma of the transsexual, the difference between sex and gender are at the very core of the issue.

A transsexual person, born to all appearance within a given physical sex, is aware of being of a gender opposite to that physical sex. This conflict, between gender identity and physical sex, is almost always manifest from earliest awareness, and is the cause of enormous suffering. It is common for transsexuals to be aware of their condition at preschool ages.

This agony can and does lead to self destruction unless treated. The incredible difficulties that surround achieving treatment are themselves often agonizing, the sum total of which can play havoc with the lives of the gender dysphoric. Indeed, it is apparent that some fifty percent of transsexuals die by age 30, usually by their own hand. This morbidity is known as the

50% Rule

Being a transsexual is not something that can be ignored or suppressed forever. Unlike the facinations of the crossdresser or the partially altered transgenderist, the absolute compulsion of classical transsexualism is a matter of life and death. Social oppression, culturally indoctrinated shame, self loathing, and bigotry slaughter transsexuals. With treatment and support, comes survival and a successful life. The success rate for the treatment of transsexuals is among the highest in medicine.

Transsexuality occurs roughly equally in both physical males and physical females, and is caused by factors (such as a critically timed hormonal release caused by stress in the mother, or by the presence of hormone mimicking chemicals present during critical development) which interfere with fetal development. Transsexuality occurs independently of sexual orientation, and occurs in humans and in other animals, such as apes, monkeys, dogs, cats, rats, and mice, among those studied.

The standard treatment for a diagnosis of transsexuality is to reassign the transsexual to a physical sex congruent with their gender identity, a process involving the administration of appropriate hormones and surgery. The success of this treatment is exceedingly high, and many transsexuals go on to live successful lives.

Although transsexuality is not the same thing as homosexuality, the two can sometimes occur in conjunction with each other, and there is evidence that both are created by the similar mechanisms, in utero.

Transsexuality differs greatly from the commonly - and erroneously - associated terms "Crossdressing" or "Transvestitism", as well as "Transgenderism".

Whereas transsexuality is concerned primarily with gender identity and the correction of physical form to fit that identity, transvestitism is primarily a sexual fetish that occurs after puberty, and the transvestite has no desperation to redress a physical incongruity. The transvestite gains satisfaction from appearing as the opposite sex only, and the behavior is apparently not rooted in a biological, pre-natal basis, but is learned. Transvestitism, unlike transsexuality, primarily is the activity of males.

A recent term in usage is "Transgenderism", essentially an empty word conjured up as a neutral label for any individual not conforming to common social rules of gender expression. The term was created to help unite very disparate individuals under a vague commonality of interest in gender, in order to provide a basis for mutual benefit and support within an often violently antagonistic society.

Transgenderism can refer to those who crossdress, those who are intersexed, those who live in the opposite societal role of their physical sex, those who play with gender expression for any purpose whatsoever, and transsexuals as well. While there is potentially great survival benefit in this mutual association labeled as 'transgenderism', the primary function is social and political, and not clinical, despite the efforts of some to legitimize this essentially meaningless term.

The exact number of transsexuals in any given population will probably never be accurately known (the best current estimate is one per 30,000). Because transsexuality is most commonly caused by stress-related hormonal changes in the womb, the number of transsexuals in any society would logically flux, based on the current state of affairs within a generation. There is evidence that more transsexuals are born during times during or following war, for instance. Even so, the condition is fairly rare.

Several interesting physical and mental indications have been statistically shown to occur in relation to transsexuality. One factor is intelligence, the transsexual is on average two standard deviations in intellect greater than the base population, and one standard deviation higher than those defined as homosexual. This probability of high intelligence is currently not explained, though there are suggestions that it may be the result of the unique and somewhat mixed brain 'wiring' of the transsexual, who may benefit from a combination of male and female structures or functions.

Another curious correlation is creativity, transsexuals tend to possess a high degree of artistic and general creative ability.

Transsexuals commonly show some physical indications of their condition that may cause trouble for them from parents or peers.
The male-to-female transsexual may be slow to develop male sex characteristics such as body hair, voice change, and overall physical development compared to the general population. The Female-to-Male Transsexual may display evidence of masculinization of bone structure, hair, or voice. These traits are generally very subtle, but often present.

There is tremendous social bigotry -and often outright violence- expressed towards the transsexual, and this often makes the life of the transsexual very difficult. Some transsexuals who have completely successful in transition to the appropriate sex therefore choose varying degrees of secrecy about their state and history. Other transsexuals never succeed in transforming physically to the point of being undetectable as transsexuals, and tend to suffer accordingly.

Transsexuals suffer many hurdles to achieve their required correction of the error of their birth. They must face society, the medical establishment, the common loss of all family and friends, the cost of treatment, the extreme difficulty of the required 'half-way' phase of transition which may last up to two years, and the inner turmoil of self-doubt and conditioned self loathing of their condition. It has been estimated (in 1981) that about 50% do not survive the malady, ending up dead by the age of 30, usually by their own hand. Almost all of this morbidity is attributed to the additional burden caused by the violent unacceptance of society, the rejection of family and friends, and the inability to find decent care.

The drive that motivates the transsexual is essentially a matter of life and
death.

IN A NUTSHELL: Transsexuals suffer because they are trapped in a body of the wrong sex. This hurts so much that they are driven to fix that problem, or die trying. Transsexuality begins in the womb and occurs in many animals besides man. Transsexuality and homosexuality seem to share a common prenatal causality, but are not the same thing. Transsexuality is sometimes associated with things it is not really related to, such as crossdressing, for social or political reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.