What are the thread size of tripod head?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dRebelXT

May 14, 2005
I went to buy a head for my SLIK Sprint Pro, and realized that the
size of the screw between the tripod and head are different from
all the heads I saw. The diameter of my SLIK is the same as the
screw at the bottom of my camera.

What number should I refer to on tripodhead's specification?

484RC2 FEATURES
484RC2 FEATURES

FULL TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
FULL TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

sturdy all-metal construction the double 90° groove (one on each side of the head) means switching from landscape to portrait is convenient however you're set up the compact, rectangular 200PL quick release plate system fits neatly under small-bodied still cameras up to SLR (even with tele lenses) or small medium format, or under small video cameras or spotting scopes. Its rubber pad gives a good grip without damaging the camera, and its angled sides ensure that it also fits perfectly and tightly into a wide range of Manfrotto heads this head features a secondary security lock so you can't accidentally release the plate (and camera) without meaning to. The lock stops the quick release lever from opening fully.
a repositionable ratchet means that the locking lever's action will never be blocked either open or closed by interference with the camera body, tripod shoulder, etc... simply pull the lever outwards and it's free to be positioned more comfortably without affecting the locking mehanism. Then you can continue tightening or loosening the knob. a convenient single locking mechanism blocks or frees movement on all axes for greater speed of use
height 9.5000 cm
weight 0.3200 kg
load capacity 4.0000 kg
color black Color
material aluminum material
independent pan lock no yes / no
lateral tilt -90° / +90° tilt range
quick release yes yes / no
plate type quick release - with 1/4-20" screw plate type
attachment (bottom) 3/8" female thread attachment type

If i m not wrong, the screw thread will mainly by 1/4" and 3/4".

shawnlim said:
If i m not wrong, the screw thread will mainly by 1/4" and 3/4".

is 1/4" and 3/8",

1/4" is commonly use, on most small format and some medium format cameras.

3/8" is use on only a few medium and large format cameras.

catchlights said:
is 1/4" and 3/8",

1/4" is commonly use, on most small format and some medium format cameras.

3/8" is use on only a few medium and large format cameras.

Sorry typo mistake. at least i got the 3 right;)

catchlights said:
remember to drill a bigger hole on the base of your camera.
he!he!........thats a good one!

Many tripods come with a screw that can be reversed, so you get both diameters of screws.chekc if your tripod has a reversible screw,

Hong Sien

i think its called a thread adaptor. my tripod came w/ 1, my QR platform also got 1!!:gbounce: :gbounce:

hongsien said:
he!he!........thats a good one!

Many tripods come with a screw that can be reversed, so you get both diameters of screws.chekc if your tripod has a reversible screw,

Hong Sien
Luckily I noticed this difference before purchase, so I come back and research.
My tripod and camera both use 1/4", but all the heads I saw had 3/8" & 1/4".

I thot my monopod thread was wrong size, until shopowner showed me that the larger diameter thread was spring-loaded, ie: push it down and smaller thread reveals itself.. not sure if this helps but just my $0.02 worth.. ;)

Ally said:
I thot my monopod thread was wrong size, until shopowner showed me that the larger diameter thread was spring-loaded, ie: push it down and smaller thread reveals itself.. not sure if this helps but just my $0.02 worth.. ;)
you suppose to fix a mini ball head for you monopod as well.

There are adaptors to match the different diameters of the screws.

Can't remember his name, but CP has one person who is very helpful and knowledgable on tripods. Bought my SLIK tripod based on his recommendation; he said next time want to change to a better head can always get adaptor if it doesn't fit.

Ah Pao said:

Can't remember his name, but CP has one person who is very helpful and knowledgable on tripods. Bought my SLIK tripod based on his recommendation; he said next time want to change to a better head can always get adaptor if it doesn't fit.

You could be referring to Chris, the senior with white hair?

dRebelXT, if you had bought your 484RC2 from CP, perhaps you wanna go back and tell them you need the adaptor screw to fix it on your Slik sprint pro, they will know what you mean. I got my 484RC2 from them together with the adaptor screw for my Slik sprint pro.

If you had not bought yet, just tell them you need to fix it on the Slik sprint pro, they will understand. But pls before you pay, in case they ran out of the adaptor screws. I brought my tripod and got it changed on the spot. It's easy, and just to make sure it fits.

dRebelXT said:
I went to buy a head for my SLIK Sprint Pro, and realized that the
size of the screw between the tripod and head are different from
all the heads I saw. The diameter of my SLIK is the same as the
screw at the bottom of my camera.

What number should I refer to on tripodhead's specification?

Where did you get the new head ? If from CP, you can let their staff know about this issue and they will give you the thread adapter free ...

I see. Thank you all for your enlightening. I will visit CP over the weekend
and get it fixed.

Ah Pao said:

Christopher

Ah! Thought the head was from Slik..............it is the tripod! Yes, can get a 1-2 dollar adapter, no need to bring your tripod lah! Just ask for the adapter.......

HS

Thank you all. I got my problem fixed with a converter screw, yeah, it was
the uncle with white hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.