What are the signs of haze causing harm to our health?

sjackal

Jul 9, 2008
I am having chest pains. I wonder if its related to the haze. I suspect it is.

my nose is dripping liquid...

i believe next few days...my skin will peel away...and i will have a liking for human brains...

I am having chest pains. I wonder if its related to the haze. I suspect it is.

go consult a doctor immediately, for your own sake, asking such question in clubsnap only get you stupid response like the one posted by hinata.

go consult a doctor immediately, for your own sake, asking such question in clubsnap only get you stupid response like the one posted by hinata.

well.. you can eat him first :bsmilie:

Relack lah ........ sjackal is here to see an opinion .......... he will probably do anything ........ other than what he is being told in KPT ......... :bsmilie:

chill out....dun get angry in interne....oh...gwak......arh.......eek.......hel.....!.....p......(moans..)....bra..ins........need ..bra..ins....

Don't forget the placebo effects, peer pressure and psychosomatic factors.

i am worried for my young ones.

IMPACT OF HAZE ON HEALTH

1. What is the effect of the haze on my health?

· Haze particles may cause irritation of the eyes, nose, throat in healthy individuals, where the irritation resolves on its own in most cases.

· Haze particles can affect the heart and lungs, especially in people who already have chronic heart or lung disease e.g. asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), heart failure.

· There may be up to 1-3 day time lag between exposure to haze and health effects/ symptoms.

2. What are the long term effects of the haze?

· Studies have shown that long-term exposure to fine particles (i.e. particulate matter 2.5 (PM2.5); particles smaller than 2.5 micrometers) include (i) cardiovascular effects, such as heart attacks and strokes, (ii) reduced lung development, as well as (iii) the development of chronic respiratory diseases, such as asthma, in children. However, these are the results of long term prolonged exposure, which is not the case here, as we do not get haze throughout the year.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on haze and your health | Ministry of Health

MOH FAQ...

Last edited:
my nose is dripping liquid...

i believe next few days...my skin will peel away...and i will have a liking for human brains...

YOLT+title.JPG

SINGAPORE — The Government yesterday took pains to explain its use of the 24-hour Pollutant Standards Index (PSI) reading when calibrating its response to the haze situation, saying that it is a better reflection of the impact of the smog on health, compared to the three-hour reading.
Quote from [TodayOnline]

I presume it is their intention (which is good) to allay public fears so that there is no unnecessary panic.

But I don't agree with the above statement.

There is no "better" representation of PSI readings.

Both the 24 hour PSI averaged reading and the 3 hourly PSI reading have their respective usefulness.

The 24 hour PSI reading tells the prevailing seriousness of the haze over a 24 hour period.

The 3 hourly PSI reading can tell us the dangerous peak PSI readings (if any) that were recorded in successive 3 hourly periods.

The 24 hour PSI averaged reading by its very definition will greatly reduce the PSI result since the peaks within the 24 hour period would be diluted by the non-peak readings. This gives a much lower PSI reading than otherwise.

The 3 hourly PSI reading gives a truer account of the actual peaks recorded. Which can be extremely high.

In terms of danger to humans, you have to consider whether it is the peak reading that can harm you; or the 24 hour averaged reading that can harm you. To each his own belief. This is just smoke particles.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An analogy of time-diluted readings:

If the subject matter is say, for example earthquake, instead of haze. Then earthquake Richter scale readings averaged over a much longer period of last 10 years, will surely dilute the results to a ridiculously low reading. As compared to the very high earthquake Richter scale reading of that particular hour or minute when the earthquake struck. Can the earthquake monitoring center then announce that based on the time-diluted reading averaged over a much longer period, that all is fine, there is no problem? Of course they cannot.

In an earthquake, it is the peak momentary maximum destructive force of the earthquake that kills you.

So such time-diluted readings cannot be applied to earthquakes. But perhaps they can get away with it applying to the haze.

Last edited:
323psi now....

Oh wow..so happens I have a air purifier available....HEPA equipped...

Should anyone keen...drop me a pm...

Or search my number....self collect though....

PSI measures only PM10...

Most advanced countries have already moved to to AQI which is based on PM2.5... I think PSI is not an accurate measure of air quality..

You should look at PM2.5 (fine particulates) readings instead which you can also find at NEA website. PSI is based on PM10 (rough particulates).
Some info on PM2.5.
PM2.5: Invisible Killer - CNTV English

Quote from [TodayOnline]

I presume it is their intention (which is good) to allay public fears so that there is no unnecessary panic.

But I don't agree with the above statement.

There is no "better" representation of PSI readings.

Both the 24 hour PSI averaged reading and the 3 hourly PSI reading have their respective usefulness.

The 24 hour PSI reading tells the prevailing seriousness of the haze over a 24 hour period.

The 3 hourly PSI reading can tell us the dangerous peak PSI readings (if any) that were recorded in successive 3 hourly periods.

The 24 hour PSI averaged reading by its very definition will greatly reduce the PSI result since the peaks within the 24 hour period would be diluted by the non-peak readings. This gives a much lower PSI reading than otherwise.

The 3 hourly PSI reading gives a truer account of the actual peaks recorded. Which can be extremely high.

In terms of danger to humans, you have to consider whether it is the peak reading that can harm you; or the 24 hour averaged reading that can harm you. To each his own belief. This is just smoke particles.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An analogy of time-diluted readings:

If the subject matter is say, for example earthquake, instead of haze. Then earthquake Richter scale readings averaged over a much longer period of last 10 years, will surely dilute the results to a ridiculously low reading. As compared to the very high earthquake Richter scale reading of that particular hour or minute when the earthquake struck. Can the earthquake monitoring center then announce that based on the time-diluted reading averaged over a much longer period, that all is fine, there is no problem? Of course they cannot.

In an earthquake, it is the peak momentary maximum destructive force of the earthquake that kills you.

So such time-diluted readings cannot be applied to earthquakes. But perhaps they can get away with it applying to the haze.

Today the PSI is lower. So may be it is over. Went to a food court today.
The fruit juice hawker told me that once VB handed over the envelope on behalf of Singapore, to SBY, everything will be alright.
Though it was supposed to be a street humour joke. Miraculously, it reduced the haze.

The fruit juice hawker told me that once VB handed over the envelope on behalf of Singapore, to SBY, everything will be alright.
Though it was supposed to be a street humour joke. Miraculously, it reduced the haze.

The envelope contains tips for containing air pollution?

The wind changed la... now KL suffering.

According to weather reports, wind changing back tomorrow... so haze might be back before you know it.

The wind changed la... now KL suffering.

According to weather reports, wind changing back tomorrow... so haze might be back before you know it.

Not that I want the haze on anyone, it is a good turn that the haze now is at KL. I think some of the companies burning are malaysian companies. Solving this thing requires effort from all three countries.