What are the intense challenges facing IT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

forward

May 27, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Intense challenges facing IT today... is there any?

From the dream of making a robot that can serve coffee while operating a washing machine while we are having breakfast or having a mobile phone pda that has a sensor to detect drugs to making a flying space vehicle for everyday transportation in replacement of usual four wheels and not having to worry about finding parking lots.

Perhaps those in IT, are they getting closer to fullfill reality? :)

IT=Information Technology leh. Robotics and vehicles/transportation are diff industry.

Well for the camera/medical industry, the most challenging one will be implanting a camera in your brain. :) At the moment, all of us have a built in camera but it cannot print images onto paper and might get lost in the memory bank. Too much built in gigabytes. :bsmilie:

For travel/transportation, i like to travel to different galaxies. Travel thru worm holes or time/space warp or better still, travel in the speed of light!

Zooom! See you on the other side of the universe! :what:

forward said:
Intense challenges facing IT today... is there any?

From the dream of making a robot that can serve coffee while operating a washing machine while we are having breakfast or having a mobile phone pda that has a sensor to detect drugs to making a flying space vehicle for everyday transportation in replacement of usual four wheels and not having to worry about finding parking lots.

Perhaps those in IT, are they getting closer to fullfill reality? :)
I think u're a little misled here. :bsmilie:

Doesn't mean that 1 single IT sector encompasses the entire electronics, electrical, robotics, transportation and other heavy industries. :sweat:

IT ppl are NOT supermen and whilst our forte lies in utilising the PC to maximum potential for specific purposes, we can't make these things appear just like that. U make it sound like IT ppl ARE superhumans. :sweatsm:

jsbn said:
I think u're a little misled here. :bsmilie:

Doesn't mean that 1 single IT sector encompasses the entire electronics, electrical, robotics, transportation and other heavy industries. :sweat:

IT ppl are NOT supermen and whilst our forte lies in utilising the PC to maximum potential for specific purposes, we can't make these things appear just like that. U make it sound like IT ppl ARE superhumans. :sweatsm:
Well that made my day... but I still wanna leave IT if given the chance. Or either that I move up to management level.

Mmmm management level are no better.

espn said:
Well that made my day... but I still wanna leave IT if given the chance. Or either that I move up to management level.

Dennis said:
Mmmm management level are no better.
The highest management level is CEO, and currently there are many CEOs in jail already, anyone else still want to be in management?

espn said:
Well that made my day... but I still wanna leave IT if given the chance.

That makes the 2 of us... IT is a damn 'pai than' industry. With people of varying levels of competency entering the market daily, cheaper, etc. Within no time, your knowledge is obsolete & so are you... Not to mention fixing bugs, data patching, etc.

Sorry for the rant... shouldn't have opened up this thread :(.

nyxx88 said:
That makes the 2 of us... IT is a damn 'pai than' industry. With people of varying levels of competency entering the market daily, cheaper, etc. Within no time, your knowledge is obsolete & so are you... Not to mention fixing bugs, data patching, etc.

Sorry for the rant... shouldn't have opened up this thread :(.
Count me in too. It's a no thanks job. During office hour, we are working. After office hour or holiday, also working (upgrade/migrate/move etc).

this is machiam my exam question.... ok then my answer would be....

incorporating interactivity into all levels of IT...be it physical interactivity or in terms of interface...

At least 1 aspect in IT does encompass PHYSICAL INTERACTivity which every healthy male enjoys. :embrass: :D ;)

I guess you guys have the very "computer" kind of IT, write program, access database, server/client, networking, etc... I love my "IT" job as I can play with many different "toys" and I can say "I made them work." :D

IT is a very broad sector. The programs I write aren't the normal ones that you run off your PC .

I'm sure some of us oso write and run never-before run/extremely uncommonly used programs as well. :D

After all, there is more to IT den to juz turn on computer and using it as a glorified typewriter.

The most greatest challenge facing IT today is...
1) Go home on time
2) Committing to ridiculously short hemlines... i mean timelines....
:bsmilie:

Zplus said:
The most greatest challenge facing IT today is...
1) Go home on time
2) Committing to ridiculously short hemlines... i mean timelines....
:bsmilie:
oh yeah.. that's a real challenge.. :bsmilie:

wai said:
i only hate doing paper work
I've got none :blah:

ok lah, unavoidable lah.. sometime will get paper work also...
- leave form
- medical claim
- reimbursement claims
- mc, etc..
- surveys

biggest challenge in IT?
whether you are able to accept much lower pay across the board.
jobs will always have. is whether you want to accept a not.

Some are ......

1) Further reducing IT cost when almost everyting that can be cost reduced is already handled by systems?
2) Communicating with IT employees about company's future, growth and outsourcing?
3) Make IT systems avaliable 365x7x24 when there is a desparate need downtime for maintenance?
4) Implementing a massive online system which requires hardcopies to be kept for verification as well as taking a much longer time to do the same thing?

One of the biggest challenges:

Users want everything fast fast.
Management want everything cheap cheap....and still fast fast.:bsmilie:

xVx said:
biggest challenge in IT?
whether you are able to accept much lower pay across the board.
jobs will always have. is whether you want to accept a not.
that's where you need an area of specialty to outshine others.

Sure everyone can program. With managed codes and C# these days, doesn't even need a sec sch boy to come out with fanciful applications that can almost anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.