what are the functions of the many different filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychedelliq

Apr 20, 2007
hi guys,

i'm really confused with the many many filters out there. like what does that particular filter is for eg. circular polarizing, ND, etc.

hope experts out there can help! cheers!

TIA.

hi guys,

i'm really confused with the many many filters out there. like what does that particular filter is for eg. circular polarizing, ND, etc.

hope experts out there can help! cheers!

TIA.

Explained many times online, usually with helpful pictures. Try some research.

Very fast one here :

CPL - polariser, removes polarised light (to prevent glares, etc)
ND - Neutral density, to reduce amount of light reaching the sensor (how much and why, you go read up)
UV - removes UV rays which may be harmful and also serves as a basic protection piece

go read more... dun rely on ppl to spoonfeed all the time.

dunno why, ppl are really getting freaking selfish and just dun wanna help. dun wanna help then dun join a forum. sucks :thumbsd: is it really a chore to type again and help another person? the threadstarter is only a newcomer with 4 posts to boot. the forum is not that easy to navigate for a newcomer, much less easy is it to search for info. this is a photography forum. if they join this forum, obviously they hope to learn something from it. asking ppl to google is just making this forum a f-up place for newcomers.

so when ppl meet accident on the street eg. biker fall down from the bike, do u go and ask the biker "go and google for help from hospital for ambulance from the net"

CPL - a circular polariser, helps to reduce the reflection when u shoot through glass. also helps to make the sky more blue and grass greener etc.

ND - Neutral density filter, helps to reduce the amount of light reaching the sensor. main purpose of reducing the amount of light to the sensor is so that u can use a longer exposure. main aim is to create fairy smooth water flowing from waterfalls / calm smooth devine looking sea. If u do a normal short exposure, u will only get droplets of water falling from the top of the waterfall. with a long exposure, u can get a smooth stream of flowing water.

UV - in the film age, ppl use a uv filter to cut the uv light that reach the camera becos the uv light will damage the film. but now in the digital era, there is already a some sort uv protection thingy in front of the sensor, so there is no need for a uv filter. wat ppl use a uv filter for in the digital era is just to protect the front glass of the lens from scratches.

starlight filter - a filter that make light that emit out from lampost literally in a star shape. creates comic like effect.

dunno why, ppl are really getting freaking selfish and just dun wanna help. dun wanna help then dun join a forum. sucks :thumbsd: is it really a chore to type again and help another person? the threadstarter is only a newcomer with 4 posts to boot. the forum is not that easy to navigate for a newcomer, much less easy is it to search for info. this is a photography forum. if they join this forum, obviously they hope to learn something from it. asking ppl to google is just making this forum a f-up place for newcomers.

so when ppl meet accident on the street eg. biker fall down from the bike, do u go and ask the biker "go and google for help from hospital for ambulance from the net"

CPL - a circular polariser, helps to reduce the reflection when u shoot through glass. also helps to make the sky more blue and grass greener etc.

ND - Neutral density filter, helps to reduce the amount of light reaching the sensor. main purpose of reducing the amount of light to the sensor is so that u can use a longer exposure. main aim is to create fairy smooth water flowing from waterfalls / calm smooth devine looking sea. If u do a normal short exposure, u will only get droplets of water falling from the top of the waterfall. with a long exposure, u can get a smooth stream of flowing water.

UV - in the film age, ppl use a uv filter to cut the uv light that reach the camera becos the uv light will damage the film. but now in the digital era, there is already a some sort uv protection thingy in front of the sensor, so there is no need for a uv filter. wat ppl use a uv filter for in the digital era is just to protect the front glass of the lens from scratches.

starlight filter - a filter that make light that emit out from lampost literally in a star shape. creates comic like effect.

hey kcuf,

thks so much for the explanation. i was actually trying to find past posts about filters but i couldnt find any hence this post. and i believe there are experts out there who care to share with a newbie like me who's lost with all the terms. appreciate you taking your time. cheers! i know i can google them but sometimes they are not as detailed as what you have just explained. people's opinion do count sometimes. ;) cheers!

On the contrary. The world has changed in the last 3 years. Google and Wiki are now the best sources of knowledge, far more reliable and authoritative than most forumers.

Google is much more powerful and much more accurate than any search engine in the history of mankind. If you consider the billions of pages that exist, and the millions of searches at any point in time, to pinpoint the relevant ones in less than 2 seconds is nothing short of miraculous.

Ditto Wiki, it's more powerful and more user friendly that any encyclopedia has ever been. Better than Britannica or even Encarta ever were.

To ignore such powerful resources which are available at your fingertips, while asking for hearsay from other forumers, sounds foolhardy to me.

You may be a newbie at photography, but that should not stop you from making the best use of the Internet.

Infared Filter - My favourite filter. It blocks out every ray other than the infared spectrum. What you get is a red picture, showing some things you never seen before.

To TS. If this may interest u, u may want to find Hoya's filter catalog and browse through its extensive range of filters. Gd descriptions and visual examples.

Give a man fish, and he will never learn how to find food for himself.

If you teach a man to fish, he benefits for life.

Newbie or not, I was a newbie once - I had some funny questions too. But these days I see people demanding to be spoonfed everything. Is this what Singapore's education system has come to? Producing people who cannot borrow books from the library, or source through a list of sites with related words to see which one fits them best, or even searching through an internet forums? Those are the ways by which I learnt the basics. There are even dedicated books on filters in the photography section of the library.

I think we all have something to carry away from here - it's been a long time coming, and I swear if I see another question about Circular Polarisers I'm going to scream - answer's in almost EVERY basic photography book, or photographic site.

Btw, the analogy about a bicycle is not rather apt - since there is no physical wellbeing involved here if no one helps him out. It is more like a person being lost in a jungle and using his communicator to ask for help. Do you send GI Joe to get him out, if you know that he's going to be stuck in jungles quite a number of times after that - or do you actually teach/allow him to find his own way?

No offense meant to anyone, definitely. If I can do it, I think so can any other person.

And this is what you should be doing -

1) TS you can use the search function located at the top panel of everything to search in these fourms, or Google
2) For here, type in "filters", since this is a PHOTOGRAPHY forums. For Google, type in photography filters, and if you want Wikipedia, do photography filters wiki
3) Tada

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_(photography)

Much more stuff here. There are many other stuff like diffusers, etc. But those are rarely used except in special branches of photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.