What are the Best Nikkor lenses money can buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleBen

Aug 24, 2008
Toa Payoh
Hi,

I've been out of the hobby for more than a decade now & planning to join the bandwagon again. I do mostly landscape & portrait photography. Would also like to venture into macro photography this round.

I'll be getting my first DSLR (previously using Nikon F70) soon. Most likely the DX format cameras. My question is what are the best 3 Nikkor lenses money can buy for the area of photography I'm into with DX cameras?

Thanks for helping out.

Regards,
Ben

Last edited:
there are only a few nikkor macro lens

the kind of macro subject are you planning to shoot and how you shoot will basically dictate the lens to buy

i use the 105mm AF-D myself

Hi,

I've been out of the hobby for more than a decade now & planning to join the bandwagon again. I do mostly landscape & portrait photography. Would also like to venture into macro photography this round.

I'll be getting my first DSLR (previously using Nikon F70) soon. Most likely the DX format cameras. My question is what are the best 3 Nikkor lenses money can buy for the area of photography I'm into with DX cameras?

Thanks for helping out.

Regards,
Ben

RICH GUY :eek:

Probably the trinity lenses. 14-24 for landscape, 24-70 for almost everything including portrait coz of its beautiful bokeh and 70-200 for tele maybe even macro. Not sure about the macro bit doh. But you can still get a macro filter or a tele converter. For dedicated macro lens you might want to try either Nikkor 105mm or Sigma 150mm which WAS my favorite lens when I was using DX cams. The trinity would cost about $6000+ brand new and I would also suggest the D300 to start of with since you have past experience.

3 popular offerings by Nikon include the 200mm f4 micro, 105mm f2.8, 60mm/2.8 micro.
There is also an AF micro zoom 70-180mm f4.5-5.6. The longer focal length giving you a longer working distance.

Currently the 105mm and 60mm have AFS focusing, but AFD / AFS is not a big deal when shooting macro

Ryan

Probably the trinity lenses. 14-24 for landscape, 24-70 for almost everything including portrait coz of its beautiful bokeh and 70-200 for tele maybe even macro. Not sure about the macro bit doh. But you can still get a macro filter or a tele converter. For dedicated macro lens you might want to try either Nikkor 105mm or Sigma 150mm which WAS my favorite lens when I was using DX cams. The trinity would cost about $6000+ brand new and I would also suggest the D300 to start of with since you have past experience.

I think reading the thread, TS is looking at Nikon macro lenses.

I must apologise for putting up my points as if I'm a loaded person. :embrass:. The actual fact is, I'm still in the film camera era :D. Buying films, load, shoot & can only view the end result upon finishing the 36 exposures :bsmilie:.

Thank you so much for the lead.

Cheers,
Ben

17-55 on a DX would be gd :)
for me macro the 105 AFD light weight compared to the afs 1 :)

depends on what type of macro you intend to shoot. insects? butterflys? or still objects etc?

depends on what type of macro you intend to shoot. insects? butterflys? or still objects etc?

Most likely still objects. I supposed if I choose a lense to shoot insects or butterflies, the same lense can be used for still object. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,
Ben

Most likely still objects. I supposed if I choose a lense to shoot insects or butterflies, the same lense can be used for still object. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,
Ben

Well, for insects and butterflies, most users would prefer a longer focal length as it would afford you with a longer working distance. Most would start from at least 90mm and above to about say 200mm.

But with still life at home, you may be forced to stand pretty far from your subjects, esp. if you are using a DX camera. This is where the 60mm comes in and gives you a closer working distance.

The DX lens designation indicates that the lens is designed for use with cropped digital sensors. All of nikon's digital SLRs, except for D700 and D3, uses sensors that are approx 1.5 times smaller than the standard 35mm size.

If you are still using your film bodies, then you need to avoid any lens that have the DX designation as these lenses will produce very severe vignetting in your pictures.

See here for a more detailed explaination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_DX_format

All Out Option
AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8D
AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G
AF-S 105mm VR f/2.8G

DX/prime Option
AF-S 12-24mm DX f/2.8G
AF 50mm f/1.8D
AF 105mm f/2.8D

Economic Option
AF-S 18-70mm DX f/3.5-4.5G
AF 60mm f/2.8D

Economic Option (D40/D50/etc AF-S req bodies for AF
AF-S 18-70mm DX f/3.5-4.5G
AF-S 60mm f/2.8G

:)

The DX lens designation indicates that the lens is designed for use with cropped digital sensors. All of nikon's digital SLRs, except for D700 and D3, uses sensors that are approx 1.5 times smaller than the standard 35mm size.

If you are still using your film bodies, then you need to avoid any lens that have the DX designation as these lenses will produce very severe vignetting in your pictures.

See here for a more detailed explaination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_DX_format

Thanks, Hobbesyeo. I found out the answer from www.kenrockwell.com. That's why I remove my post (guess you were replying me).

Well, for insects and butterflies, most users would prefer a longer focal length as it would afford you with a longer working distance. Most would start from at least 90mm and above to about say 200mm.

But with still life at home, you may be forced to stand pretty far from your subjects, esp. if you are using a DX camera. This is where the 60mm comes in and gives you a closer working distance.

Thanks for highlighting the important points, Michael.

Cheers,
Ben

Will the "trinity lenses" & the Micro 105mm work well on FX cams (just in case my hands are itchy to upgrade to FX cams few years down the road)?

Cheers,
Ben

Will the "trinity lenses" & the Micro 105mm work well on FX cams (just in case my hands are itchy to upgrade to FX cams few years down the road)?

Cheers,
Ben

Yes, they can be used on FX. As long as they are not DX lenses, they can work well. Even the DX ones can be used, abeit with a crop factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.