What are some of the best older lenses for Pentax? Maybe Macro's?

Logan09

Dec 23, 2011
I'm looking to get some older K/M42 lenses. What are some of the best out there? I've heard of Takumar, are any of these basically good to go? Any other's I should look for? I would especially like some Macro's.
Thanks..

I'm looking to get some older K/M42 lenses. What are some of the best out there? I've heard of Takumar, are any of these basically good to go? Any other's I should look for? I would especially like some Macro's.
Thanks..

are u using these macro lenses for serious 1:1 type of macro? or u just need a sharp MF lens?

are u using these macro lenses for serious 1:1 type of macro? or u just need a sharp MF lens?

Not serious macro, but I would like to take a shot at it. These will be mounted on a canon though w/ adapter. I am currently using a FD-50mm but I loose infinity focus on FD lenses.

Last edited:
Here...
There are a myriad of choices, but imho, the ones I mentioned in the thread will set you up pretty well as far a MF lenses go.
Thanks!:)

Not serious macro, but I would like to take a shot at it. These will be mounted on a canon though w/ adapter. I am currently using a FD-50mm but I loose infinity focus on FD lenses.

i see. for m42, the 50mm macro takumar was one i was thinking of getting awhile back :) but the idea of using an M42 lens for macro was daunting to me - the VF gets darker when u step down.

for k-mount. i have an old panagor 55mm f2.8 macro (it was variously branded as the vivitar as well). its a very sharp lens. not sure how your adaptor works for k-mount. it'll be a shame if u had to perform "surgery" on the mount to use. i've seen some where one had to remove the aperture lever from the mount. :bheart:

:bheart: don't take my advise :devil:
I can't bear to see those nice K-mount lenses being lost to posterity due to 'surgery' to mount on a Canon. :( :)

Get some takumars instead.

Yes, I know what you are talking about on the dark VF when stepping down. I have the same problem on my FD macro. It's especially hard when you don't have Auto Confirmation. I find my self taking 20+ picture's to get one decent one.lol

I don't have any adapter's yet, and honestly am not familiar with Pentax mounts so don't really know how they lock on. I know one is a screw and one is a bayonet that's about it.

:bheart: don't take my advise :devil:
I can't bear to see those nice K-mount lenses being lost to posterity due to 'surgery' to mount on a Canon. :( :)

Get some takumars instead.

What do you mean? I have to modify the lenses to fit on the adapters?

Yes, I know what you are talking about on the dark VF when stepping down. I have the same problem on my FD macro. It's especially hard when you don't have Auto Confirmation. I find my self taking 20+ picture's to get one decent one.lol

I don't have any adapter's yet, and honestly am not familiar with Pentax mounts so don't really know how they lock on. I know one is a screw and one is a bayonet that's about it.

get nikon mount or minolta/konica mount. they are easier to mount on Canon body.

Bloody hell...
Dun go about doing "surgery" on whatever lenses..

If you really wanna go K mount, sell your Canon gears and/or simply just swap over to Pentax.. LoL!

Some good old lenses are already so rare, be fair to the younger generations after you.. ;)

cannot like that say people got $LWEE$ wor so try around is good then let us know how it goes hahaha

Which Canon cam are you using? I owned both the 40D and 5D before and can tell you all you want to know about mounting and using alternate manual focus lenses on Canon bodies. I also owned and used different Pentax mount lenses on Canon bodies before. Send me a PM.

Thanks Anthony Lee, PM sent.

Turns out every lens I found/bought was a M42 mount:what: So buying the PK adapter was pointless. I got a cheapy in yesterday a rikenon 135mm f2.8. I think I need to buy a AF confirm adapter as it is pretty hard judging focus on the telephoto lenses compared to macro's.

not sure why you need a pentax lens for macro.:) on your canon mount.

M42, there is 1:1mag for 50 mm takumar and also 1:2 mag of the almost the same takumar. There is also the yashinon macro m42, 60 mm which I own one:). In all these, you will need to have an adapter for your canon mount.

There is also a vivitar 55 mm macro or panagor ones that gives 1:1 mag for canon. That is a good alternatives and you do not need to change the mount at all. Ebay would have that or the 90 mm macro vivitar/panagor. Those are komine made. A better ones will be the 105 macro vivitar that is kiron made and this willl be more exp.

I think your rikenon ones is 1:2 mag max. There is a rikenon macro 105 mm which I came across before but I have never tried that. For a start, vivitar 55 is quite low in cost and that provides 1:1 mag with great sharpness.

marcus

not sure why you need a pentax lens for macro.:) on your canon mount.

Any recommendations for other macro lenses that will work with a canon(Adapter wise w/ infinity focus) I was going to buy a Canon usm 100mm macro but can't afford newer lenses.

There are 3rd party macro lenses from Tamron, Sigma and Tokina for the Canoon EOS mount. I think even SAMYANG has a macro lenses for the EOS mount.