What?? Another Newbie??! Well hello!

kriegsketten

Apr 7, 2010
Southern Enclave
Hello to all!

My first post on ClubSNAP! But as a newbie in photography, I'm not really one - more like a closet photographer (uh no, I don't shoot photos in a closet, thank you)... Used more PNS camera than anything else. Latest PNS: Canon IXUS 120 - not super but suffice for normal needs for the time being. Waiting to move up to the next step soon - a DSLR. Scouted the net for info and updating myself with the latest technologies and reviews for months until I discovered this site! :thumbsup:

Owned an SLR more than 10 years back which is now all sticky (lousy sucky body material, a Nikon F70). And used it primary for macro photography... But like nails that have been left in the box untouched for years... I'm all rusty with my skills (if you can actually call them skills...)! :sweatsm:

Anyway, will drop onto this fascinating forum very frequently to read what's new, post a few, ask a few, and probably to see if I can get a good lead on a few good price offers (DSLR and lenses) in the local arena!

Cheers!

Lawrence

Last edited:
Welcome to Clubsnap!

Hope you rediscover your skills asap!
For more specific info on particular equipment, look in the respective equipment threads.

Welcome to Clubsnap!

Hope you rediscover your skills asap!
For more specific info on particular equipment, look in the respective equipment threads.

Thank you the warm reception! I'll certainly look in that direction you've just pointed.

Don't worry, I won't ask the usual "Nikon or Canon?" question. I'm kinda veered towards Nikon for the moment. However don't take me as a Nikon fan, more like "a fan of any affordable camera that takes GOOD pictures"...

Lawrence

Welcome to the club !

Welcome to CS:)

Wow peepz, if this isn't a warm reception, I don't know what is! Y'al folkz certainly know how to make a newbie feel loved! :lovegrin:

Anyway, I noticed that some of you already using a Nikon D90, a target of my choice in months to come (I prefer to save for the total cost instead of a one-time pocket-ripping routine for big ticket items). Care to share your feedback on it (I can hear "raving waves" coming)?

Initially I was contemplating between a Canon 50D and the above choice (both competing models). I even went to the CSC a few times to test the 50D out (easy for me as I live a couple of bus stops away). I'll probably drop by Anson road one of these days when I go renew my business license which is coming up very soon...

Ultimately what made me decide on the D90 is because of a number of glowing reviews on the net (old news, I'm sure). 50D ain't that far off either, but in the end I was swayed more towards the Nikon end of the stick. Greatly due to a number of reviews of their lenses (a good body isn't enough and will be outclassed anytime soon). Anyway, I'm planning on getting the body and lens separately... unless I'm advised to go for the 18-200 VR II lens kit (question of availability of course). Reason being I need a good zoom lens but not prepared to go overboard with higher end zooms due to budget constraints... Like I've said, my IXUS 120 take cares of most of my normal needs until lately I realised that I can't even get clear shot across the track field at a stadium... that was when I've woken from my "PNS should be good enough for me" drunken stupor...

For the past week, I've been digging deep into the latest gears (K-x, SD14, GXR, GR Digital IIIs, LX-3, S90, etc)... Anything that can take a RAW image... Until lately that I figured that the only thing that will ever satisfy my cravings for clear and sharp images, with multi-purpose functionalities (speed, super zoom, etc) was to go DSLR... coupled with a good prime 50 or 105mm (micro, for business needs), topped up with a sufficiently all-round zoom lens 18-200 VR II.. PNS will be relegated to social gathering uses (the need to capture the occasion)...

So here I am, a lost soul waiting to embark on a journey into a whole new level of image capture! :sweatsm:

Okay, enuff talk, time to get off the soap box!...