what advantage does citizens has over PR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
I was reading the ST article yesterday which was summarizing the adv for being a citizen over PR and was quite shocked at how little it was....

Did anyone read that? So is it worth 2.5 PRIME years of our life to become a citizen? Can you like siam NS and then come back as a PR?

Seriously, why would anyone want to be a citizen? Any ideas? Surely there must be something ST left out..

Did anyone read that? So is it worth 2.5 PRIME years of our life to become a citizen? Can you like siam NS and then come back as a PR?

Just a correction, it is now 2year or even 1yr 10months.

Worth or not is up to your perception, and even up to you to make it worth it.

My NS has given me pretty much, including opportunities to lead, to punish etc..

As well as some business opportunities.. ( i have done before some paid wedding for my ex-NS colleagues)

But yes, you can apply for PR after you have passed the age for NS. :)

Seriously, why would anyone want to be a citizen? Any ideas? Surely there must be something ST left out..

You Pes C or E one izzit?
How come you only wasted 2.5 years?

Me lagi best...spending my meaningful prime age 2.5yrs + 10 years reservist.
Sometimes failed IPPT..have to go for R.T for phase 1 and 2.
Invest more time.

Why would anyone wanna be a citizen?
Let me listed down all the advantages.

1. We have a whiter than white government. A honest government with honest politicians. (provided you wear white uniform..if you wear blue...you are considered dishonest politician.)

2. We get our progress package whenever there is a GST increase.

3. We have NS to train us to become TOUGH MAN. And yearly reservist to monitor our health status.

4. We have a world class transportation, medical service that is greatly subsidised by the government despite even cramming like sardines in MRT or 2-3 hours queue at polyclinics.

5. We recieve huge HDB subsidy but ends up paying heavy home loans which no authority monitoring the bank irregular interest rates.

6. We get our lifts, walkways upgraded if we cast our votes to one dominant party.

7. We have a government who gives workfare bonus to the poor , so that these poor are motivated to work for a low pay but long hours working conditions.

8. Our government are considerate enough to shrink the HDB flats 20-35% smaller but we have to pay a higher price for it than the existing old flats.
So that we can clean our house in a shorter time.

9. Our local students got as much as 50% education subsidy
while
the foreigners got 40% subsidy + bursary + scholarships + PR status + a chance to work in Singapore.

10. We are a small country to have Minister Mentor, Senior Minister & Prime Minister positions
unlike
bigger countries like Japan, US, UK.....only 1 president, 1 prime minister.

I'm proud to be a Happy Singaporean.
Are you happy?

:lovegrin: :p :lovegrin:

i wun say i wasted 2 yr inside...

life inside is 'fun' and have 'enjoy' myself...

now in the mist of 'enjoying' my RT, most likely for the rest of my reservist life, am currently on phase 1, tue test liao.. but going over to phase 2...

till now still left with 9 more ICT to have 'fun'...

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

while
the foreigners got 40% subsidy + bursary + scholarships + PR status + a chance to work in Singapore.
HAHAHA,

Other irrelevant, nonsensical points aside;

You insinuate that most of scholarship holders are foreigners
What a load of hogwash

Machiam local students don't get bursary or scholarships or citizen status or chance to work in Singapore blah blah blah.

10. We are a small country to have Minister Mentor, Senior Minister & Prime Minister positions
unlike
bigger countries like Japan, US, UK.....only 1 president, 1 prime minister.

wat you talking about sia...

The other two are like advisor ma...this is how our gov function...why u compare with other country...what works here does not mean it works for other country...

Do you realise that average HDB Singaporeans are at the mercy of PRs when comes to upgrading projects?

My block is under the upgrading program for an extra room.
Citizen pays $3,000 and PR has to pay $30,000 for the room.
Majority of the tenants are PRs.
Poll result is 65% voted for the upgrade.
My personal poll with fellow Singaporean neighbours shows that 90% voted for the upgrading.

Conclusion: Our right to the subsidized room depends on the decision of the PRs.

;( ;( ;( ;(

while

Its to encourage foreign students, the UK does this as well, but home fees are significantly cheaper than overseas fees, so maybe that is why.

PRs is the government's solution to fill up the gap of incompetents personnels. E.g. Ping Pong players, football players, cheap computer programmers... etc etc...

HAHAHA,

Other irrelevant, nonsensical points aside;

You insinuate that most of scholarship holders are foreigners
What a load of hogwash

Machiam local students don't get bursary or scholarships or citizen status or chance to work in Singapore blah blah blah.

He has got a point.
A lot of our local student went overseas for tertiary education because they could not secure a place in local university.
These students kiss ass in top foreigner universities and they have to pay a hefty sum for school fee.
Our Government reserved 20% for overseas students and pays them money to study here.
After completing theirs study and bonds, they leave Singapore for greener pasture in the west.

Its a damn sad state of affairs when people start to try and put a monetary value on their citizenship. :cry:

Its a damn sad state of affairs when people start to try and put a monetary value on their citizenship. :cry:

It's all due to the wrong path the government is taking. They have already chosen this path, too late for any changes now.

I was reading the ST article yesterday which was summarizing the adv for being a citizen over PR and was quite shocked at how little it was....

Male citizens have the privilege of protecting PRs and foreign talents.
:bsmilie:

Don't be sad, people here are just responding to the harsh reality, where the rights and benefits of a citizen diminished over time.

Do you realise that average HDB Singaporeans are at the mercy of PRs when comes to upgrading projects?

My personal poll with fellow Singaporean neighbours shows that 90% voted for the upgrading.

Conclusion: Our right to the subsidized room depends on the decision of the PRs.

;( ;( ;( ;(

you should gather your neighbours and write to the press about this.

;( ;( ;( ;(

I thought PR can't vote..I know for sure, for lift upgrading PR can't vote yet has to pay in full.

;( ;( ;( ;(

I have another alternative which is probably more true

You are naive and a lot of your Singaporean neighbours lied.

He has got a point.
A lot of our local student went overseas for tertiary education because they could not secure a place in local university.
These students kiss ass in top foreigner universities and they have to pay a hefty sum for school fee.
Our Government reserved 20% for overseas students and pays them money to study here.
After completing theirs study and bonds, they leave Singapore for greener pasture in the west.
And local students don't?

NULL POINT

Tell me something that doesn't apply to local students as well, please

Your argument is akin to Nick's in Thank You For Smoking
the conversation that went like this:

Nick: Okay, let's say that you're defending chocolate and I'm defending vanilla. Now, if l were to say to you "Vanilla's the best flavor ice cream," you'd say...?.
Joey: "No, chocolate is."
Nick: Exactly. But you can't win that argument. So, I'll ask you. So you think chocolate is the end-all and be-all of ice cream, do you?.
Joey: It's the best ice cream; I wouldn't order any other.
Nick: Oh. So it's all chocolate for you, is it?.
Joey: Yes, chocolate is all I need.
Nick: Well, I need more than chocolate. And for that matter, I need more than vanilla. I believe that we need freedom and choice when it comes to our ice cream, and that,Joey Naylor,that is the definition of liberty.
Joey: But that's not what we're talking about.
Nick: Ah, but that's what I'm talking about.
Joey: But... you didn't prove that vanilla's the best.
Nick: I didn't have to. I proved that you're wrong and if you're wrong, I'm right.

(And I'm just pasting this to make my post longer. Hehe.)

Status
Not open for further replies.