What adapters to use for Leica M Lens

Seraphim

Jul 28, 2004
West
Hi guys,

I have the following lens and i am not sure what adapter i need so that it can be used on the D700, and anything i should take note of? :

1. Summicron-M 50mm

2. Elmarit-M 28mm ASPH

in short, you cant. those lenses are designed for rangefinders and will only be useable for macro images because the mirror in an slr doesnt allow it to go close enough to the sensor. so if there is an adapter out then, and im not sure there is, then it ll only allow focus at less than a meter at best.

In numerical terms -

Nikon flange focusing distance is 46.5mm, Leica M lenses 27.8mm. To achieve focus of M lenses on D700 you need to bring the lens 18.7mm deep towards the sensor, and that is after getting the mirror assembly out of the way.

But for Leica R lenses - flange focusing distance of 47mm, there are adapters.

Ryan

thanks Ryan and Ben. Looks like if i want to keep the lens i will need to find a body for them...

In numerical terms -

Nikon flange focusing distance is 46.5mm, Leica M lenses 27.8mm. To achieve focus of M lenses on D700 you need to bring the lens 18.7mm deep towards the sensor, and that is after getting the mirror assembly out of the way.

But for Leica R lenses - flange focusing distance of 47mm, there are adapters.

Ryan

is there really this Leica R to Nikon adapter...? i am looking for it.

do U have any link....? or where can i get it...?

Seraphim said:
thanks Ryan and Ben. Looks like if i want to keep the lens i will need to find a body for them...

Nex with an e-mount adapter is among the most popular choices for rangefinder lenses

Dennis Thong said:

Do a search on eBay.

Hmm I don't know if nex 6 or nex 7 is good for both Nikon and Leica lens? Since I have Nikon as the main system it would be good to have recommendation on which is better.

Leica lens for Nikon cameras

Take note not all R Lens can be converted. There are some hong kong seller that make the same thing but quality is not that good, they have some play when the lens are mounted.

I have the Apo 90 f2, apo 280 f4, apo 180 f2.8, apo 180 f2, 35mm f2.0 converted using Leitax. very good quality, but price abit ex.

Hi guys,

I have the following lens and i am not sure what adapter i need so that it can be used on the D700, and anything i should take note of? :

1. Summicron-M 50mm

2. Elmarit-M 28mm ASPH

If you die die want to mount the M lens onto your D700.... Try contacting the onwer of this website, he did it using a Canon 5Dmk2, may be he can do it on a Nikon. Still cheaper than a M9..

_Canon/Leica Mod « DSLR Wireless Monitors

Hmm I don't know if nex 6 or nex 7 is good for both Nikon and Leica lens? Since I have Nikon as the main system it would be good to have recommendation on which is better.

Great for Leica, but for the Nikkors you gotta manual focus. I would use a NEX for Leicas, and your normal system with the DSLR lenses.