What accessories need to buy for DSLR camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alphen

Aug 15, 2008
Pasir Ris
www.alphen26.multiply.com
Hi,

I just bought a DSLR camera (Nikon D90). Other than camera body and lens, what other accessories do i need to buy? Do i need to buy dry cabinet, what kind of filter, external flash and etc...???

Thanks!

Buying a DSLR with a lens is just the start buying more gear.

What you need is what you want to shoot.

List for usual start,
1) A good sturdy Tripod with head. (Pan, Ball or even Gear)
2) Dry Cabinet or Dry box (mainly to store your glass and keep it safe from humid and moist)
3) Camera Bag, shoulder/backpack/belt/etc...
4) Ext Flash
5) Filter (commonly purchase is UV and CPL)

These are the stuff where ppl usually start with.

Please add on if there is anything I miss out

For a start, get the UV filter and a dry cabinet. The rest is all future. You will know what you need next time. =)

Of the remaining ones I'd prefer the Nikons. They are more functional and have a physical design that (for me at least) makes them easier to use. If you're tight on money go for the D50, if you can afford it I'd not go for the D70 but rather for the D80 that replaces it. If you're looking at the used market for a D70 then at least get a D70s, it's more functional.

The low end Canon cameras are limited in functionality at least more so than the Nikons.

As you go up the scale however both brands will give you good pictures. Even so, I'd still prefer to stay with the Nikon. Nikon has a history of producing fine photogrphic lenses and other accessories that meet the needs of professionals. Canon has a similar history but they're not usually as comprehensive as Nikon. Nikon is something you can grow with in the longer term.

The other diffrence is that Canon like to be wiz bang. They will often build in features that sound appealing but are things you'll never use or care about. Nikon is more conservative, they build in what you need and will use and they don't load their promotions with a lot of hype that has no value.

The cheap part of an SLR is buying the initial camera. Later as you get more sophisticated you'll add lenses and a flash at minumum. Now you're into a situation where you get locked in.

That's the real issue. So think about what you'll do picture wise for the next thirty years or so and look at which camera maker will give you the gadgets you need to make that happen. Then buy in and get the most out of it.

When you compare makers don't get hung up on a feature that one has that the other doesn't. Whatever one doesn't have they eventually find a way to provide it too. The real question is whether a specific brand will meet all your long term needs, nothing more. That's why I tend to prefer Nikon, they tend to consistently deliver high quality solutions for whatever the professional photographers need.

Hi,

I just bought a DSLR camera (Nikon D90). Other than camera body and lens, what other accessories do i need to buy? Do i need to buy dry cabinet, what kind of filter, external flash and etc...???

Thanks!

for a start
1) dry cabinet or dry box
2) UV filter for ur lens
3) tripod

An external flash would the next best thing to invest in.

Buying a DSLR with a lens is just the start buying more gear.

What you need is what you want to shoot.

List for usual start,
1) A good sturdy Tripod with head. (Pan, Ball or even Gear)
2) Dry Cabinet or Dry box (mainly to store your glass and keep it safe from humid and moist)
3) Camera Bag, shoulder/backpack/belt/etc...
4) Ext Flash
5) Filter (commonly purchase is UV and CPL)

These are the stuff where ppl usually start with.

Please add on if there is anything I miss out

Is it really that necessary to get a dry cabinet/dry box?

No it isn't. If you enjoy fungus destroying your lenses.

FYI, your question pops up about once a week... Would be good if you tried a search.

Is it really necessary to have footwear when we go out of the house?

Your equipment wouldn't survive in the environment here. Just like your feet wouldn't survive doing your daily routine without shoes or slippers.

Essentially, just get one, it's not that expensive, not draining on electricity and it's easy to store all your gear in one place.

Of the remaining ones I'd prefer the Nikons. They are more functional and have a physical design that (for me at least) makes them easier to use. If you're tight on money go for the D50, if you can afford it I'd not go for the D70 but rather for the D80 that replaces it. If you're looking at the used market for a D70 then at least get a D70s, it's more functional.

The low end Canon cameras are limited in functionality at least more so than the Nikons.

As you go up the scale however both brands will give you good pictures. Even so, I'd still prefer to stay with the Nikon. Nikon has a history of producing fine photogrphic lenses and other accessories that meet the needs of professionals. Canon has a similar history but they're not usually as comprehensive as Nikon. Nikon is something you can grow with in the longer term.

The other diffrence is that Canon like to be wiz bang. They will often build in features that sound appealing but are things you'll never use or care about. Nikon is more conservative, they build in what you need and will use and they don't load their promotions with a lot of hype that has no value.

The cheap part of an SLR is buying the initial camera. Later as you get more sophisticated you'll add lenses and a flash at minumum. Now you're into a situation where you get locked in.

That's the real issue. So think about what you'll do picture wise for the next thirty years or so and look at which camera maker will give you the gadgets you need to make that happen. Then buy in and get the most out of it.

When you compare makers don't get hung up on a feature that one has that the other doesn't. Whatever one doesn't have they eventually find a way to provide it too. The real question is whether a specific brand will meet all your long term needs, nothing more. That's why I tend to prefer Nikon, they tend to consistently deliver high quality solutions for whatever the professional photographers need.

Uh, the TS already bought a camera...

unless u plan to use the camera and all ur lenses almost every day.
fungus growth will be achieved when u have moisture and stagnant air.
if u don't want to buy a dry cabinet, at least get a dry box. not very expensive compared to ur camera and lenses.

For the start if you are on a budget, get the cheapest 30 Litre Dry cabinet from Digicabi ard $118.
That's the best place to keep your camera from moist and fungus.
http://www.digihub.com.sg/Uploads/pdf/eb2901d3be404e198f3e3a212463d3af.pdf

You will also need a good weather proof camera bag that protects your equipment from the rain you are shooting outdoor. Check out the Lowepro series. Some of the bags are lower than $50 and are very good.
http://www.lowepro.com/

Filter wise, get the UV filters as protection for your lens. Probably go for Hoya. They are not the best but good value.

For cleaning your lens and filters, get a Lenspen or a microfibre cloth to wipe off dust, dirt or finger prints on the filter. Also buy a powerful air blower to blow away dust.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501928&page=2

Get a good tripod in those range of $110 - $200. Don't try to buy those very cheap tripod which would give way and drop you camera on the ground. Go for Manfrotto or Benro.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4499631&postcount=1

Last edited:

nikon give u commission for promoting its brand? :bsmilie:

If you dun mind having fungused lenses in your collection.... go ahead and forgo the dry cabinet. :)

..... I see a newbie looking for ways to fall into quicksand LOL :bsmilie:

...... just scroll through 1 month's worth of threads in General discussions and you should be well and truly poisoned

.... try buying used in Buy/Sell sections to save money and keep your 'tution fees' low

your best friend here is the 'Search' function ..........

..... I see a newbie looking for ways to fall into quicksand LOL :bsmilie:

...... just scroll through 1 month's worth of threads in General discussions and you should be well and truly poisoned

.... try buying used in Buy/Sell sections to save money and keep your 'tution fees' low

your best friend here is the 'Search' function ..........

Read thru the advise given in this thread, and I think this is the best advise yet. TS, please note.

No it isn't. If you enjoy fungus destroying your lenses.

FYI, your question pops up about once a week... Would be good if you tried a search.

huh serious ah.
but i have been playing it for like 1 month and a week, i didn get any dry cabinet.
and i shoot at least 5 times, as in days, per week?
huh serious ahhh need to get a dry box.. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.