What 49mm UV filters do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorpioh

Jul 17, 2007
Woodlands
49mm filter rim is something quite unique to Pentax lens, mainly for primes. It's a bit hard to source for them. Other than b+w (cos I find them scratching too easily), do you have any other recommendations for high quality UV filters? Thanks.

The 49mm filter thread is not unique to Pentax only. Leica, Minolta and Olympus also used this size for their lenses, though this size has become less commonly used today.

I use B+W and Hoya, though I remove them if I'm shooting night scenes.
Not sure why your B+W got scratches (do you use a Lenspen?) as I find them very durable.
There are of course Heliopan and Rodenstock, which are quite pricy.
You can also consider the original Pentax SMC, Minolta and Olympus filters on the used market.

I like Kenko Pro 1 Digital but the the smallest size they make is 52mm.

Last edited:
Thanks. Yeah, it's quite hard to find 49mm. the most common small size is the 52mm for nikon and canon i guess. Heliopan and rodenstock very hard to find in retail. I could only find the kenko and hoyas. Original Pentax smc is too elusive again. Somehow in spore, the choices are very limited. Haiz.

I've got el-cheapo Marumi and Aroma brand 49mm UV ones too and if you're not shooting in extreme side lighting, they do their job well enough. In fact if you're using AWB (auto white balance), the plentiful Skylight filters work just as well as the camera will factor in the slight colour cast. Heck I picked up a few new old stock original B+W skylight filters from one of the local shops for $10 each last year.

Other option is to get a 49mm to 52mm step up ring and use 52mm filters.

Last edited:
i actually got a couple of hoya pro 1D 49mm ones. Usually half price of the b+w ones. The new b+w ones are even slimmer. The thing about using step up rings n using the 52mm, is you need to get 52mm caps.

49mm is not very difficult to find.
I am using one B+W and one Heliopan.

The difficult one is the 43mm if you would like to use the original lens cap of DA21.

49mm is not very difficult to find.
I am using one B+W and one Heliopan.

The difficult one is the 43mm if you would like to use the original lens cap of DA21.
Yeah man, my da21 is still filterless after half a year of searching. I did buy a 43mm b+w but somehow the rim was too thick and couldn't fit in.

Last edited:
yeah... finally finish my exhausting 2 weeks in camp...

heliopan at ebay or from eugene if he has... other size i buy from ebay... much cheaper than local shops...

murami seems to be pretty good as well...

There are the better murami, and the el-cheapo ones.. the better ones include water resistance ...

come to think of it:think:, all my Ltd lenses didn't put on filter.:sweatsm:

Got the distributor's address from Chiif, i buy from them when in need of rare sizes.

My FA 50 is running on Hoya UV 49mm bought from MS Color,

My Hexanon 50's filters on my rangefinder i had to get it from the Hoya distributor.
40.5mm :( I'm scared shitless of losing the lens cap.

I used to use B+W MRC ones on my lenses. But now I like the Marumi WPC (Water Proof Coating) better. They are very slim (3mm thick rim), and optically was tested to be good or even better than the normal B+W MRC ones, pretty easy to clean too. They are not easy to find, but you should be able to get the DHG ones (very nice too) easily (from MS Color or some other shops).

Of course most of my lenses have Pentax SMC filters on, but those are not easy to get. Mostly you can only get them second hand, not really worth it unless you are a Pentax junkie like me ;)

I think like fengwei said. The marumi WPC is pretty gd but just tat it's not widely known.

The Kenko Pro-1d is quite value for money. The coating , as seen from just my eyes, has very little reflection, plus it's just thin enuff....unlike those ultra-thin types where a snap-on cap has trouble clipping on. Some 49mm sizes can be found in evilBay.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Eugene has told me my heliopan order is coming in anytime. Marumi seems like a nice choice for those interested. If only Pentax can make UV filters again...

Mine is HOYA at RM35 bucks.

Been looking around for 49mm filter at the usual AP, MS, CP and other shops in funan. None of them have 49mm. Only CP have B+W Skylight 49mm :(

bro, i was quoted 10.50 from a staff at CP Peninsula for a 49mm tokina UV filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.