What 2nd hand camera should i get?

weiding

Jan 5, 2011
I am interested in photography and wanted to learn more.
Thus i want to get a 2nd hand camera with manual controls and good image quality before upgrading to more expensive and advanced cameras.
It can be compact or dslr, as long as it is within my budget.
My budget is $400.
Any recommendation?

good budget for a used canon 400d with kit lens brudda

it's got the main functions ya'll need

fantastic camera, always used it and still using it sometimes haha

$400 abit tight... but not impossible... would personally suggest u up your limit to perhaps $600-700 ... do hunt around B&S and see if anything is within ur budget :)

Look around the buy and sell and list cameras that meet your budget. Pentax, sony, olympus will have some affordable but powerful choices, same with Nikon and Canon.

Then, after shortlisting, go google for reviews. Shortlist further. Then go and try the cameras, ask the sellers to meet. Pick the one that has the features you want and feels comfy in your hands.

This is basic, common sense, research before buying. It's not a secret, go for it.

I am interested in photography and wanted to learn more.
Thus i want to get a 2nd hand camera with manual controls and good image quality before upgrading to more expensive and advanced cameras.
It can be compact or dslr, as long as it is within my budget.
My budget is $400.
Any recommendation?

pentax k100/200D kit, canon 350D kit, sony A200 kit, nikon d40 kit, oly E420 kit that's all i can think for ur budget all DSLR is capable of delivering good image but it's up to u to produce it not the cam ;)

Last edited:
I would suggest getting a prosumer superzoom. There are bound to be some of these hanging around garage sales.

Because you get 1 fixed lens that is extremely vesatile (usually along the range of 28mm-500+mm), users of superzooms never have to worry about ever changing a lens to suit the location; they just zoom up till the required area and snap away.

Most superzooms also have a decent range of manual controls: virtually all superzooms allow the user to choose shutter speeds of easily up to 30sec or a minute, some offer manual focus, and all will offer some degree of choice in the aperture settings. That being said, watch out for some superzooms which only give you two specific aperture values to choose from.

Is the 2nd hand LX3 a good choice? Its well within my budget.

Guys, i have narrowed down my choices to Panasonic LX3, Canon Powershot S90, Olympus E-420 with kit lens and Olympus E-510/520 with kit lens.
Which one should i go for??

Bro, E-420 is a very very very old model. no offence to bros using that model but i'm just saying it's been launched for a few years already. why not consider it's big brother the E-620?

Bro, E-420 is a very very very old model. no offence to bros using that model but i'm just saying it's been launched for a few years already. why not consider it's big brother the E-620?

well because E-620 is out of my budget!

Among your choices I'd opt for the Olympus E520 with kit lens. Very stunning out of camera JPEG images. I used the Olympus E450 as my first camera ;D

The Oly is at least a DSLR; your other options are more point and shoots. So I'd go for the Oly.

Guys, i have narrowed down my choices to Panasonic LX3, Canon Powershot S90, Olympus E-420 with kit lens and Olympus E-510/520 with kit lens.
Which one should i go for??

Look for a Pentax Kx 2nd hand. Newer DSLR camera model with the benefits for very good sensor and JPEG o/p performance that even surpasses higher mid end cameras in its generation (Eg. K7, D90, 500D).
It should be ~$400.

Look for a Pentax Kx 2nd hand. Newer DSLR camera model with the benefits for very good sensor and JPEG o/p performance that even surpasses higher mid end cameras in its generation (Eg. K7, D90, 500D).
It should be ~$400.

second this :thumbsup:

both the pentax k-x or the canon 400d/450d should be good for starting out, k-x has excellent iso performance and as mentioned by pinholecam, even beats the higher ranges of pentax lineup k7 (well until the k5 came out), price has been brought down to such a low price ($400-450 with kit lens) is because of the new k-r ($900-1000 with kit brand new) so its to your advantage

dont know much about the 400/450d though, but heard from my friend who is using a 450d that it is also another very good starting DSLR as it is a good balance between cost/functions

then again if you foresee a tight budget along the way, pentax should be the way to go becasuse of the inbuilt SR (works like a image stabiliser) in the body, lens prices are way lower then canon (just look price of a L series lens with IS) but being a smaller market, has lesser lens variety as canon does

i checked the Buy and sell forum for pentax, all k-x selling at $500 and above! out of my budget already :(

i checked the Buy and sell forum for pentax, all k-x selling at $500 and above! out of my budget already :(

you do know that photography especially DSLR is expensive hobby right? you will need dry box , cleaning kit, memory and camera bag.. so make sure you buffer that into your budget..

thats why i also included LX3 and S90. Maybe i should just buy either one?

My girlfriend's sister was also in the same position as yourself and her budget was 400 sing. But I did manage to find a deal for her at 430 sing, a canon 400D, 2 original batteries, the latest 18-55 VR kit lens, and a 4GB CF card. A decent deal.

Keep your eyes peeled, such offers do exists in the BNS. Fastest fingers first!

Yeah eye the bns section and you might find some deals, otherwise, save up for a bigger budget and go for something you wouldn't regret so soon after buying it. It is better to get something that can last and you like it rather than something that is cheap but it is a piece of trash after a few
months. My two cents.