Wet weather protection-Canon Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

snapperBB

Sep 26, 2005
Upper Changi Road
Hi,
I'll be making my maiden trip to Taman Negara in a week's time and would be bringing my gear along. I heard that rain is a norm there, and Iam wondering what can I do to protect my gear. Are there commercially available wet weather protection gear for cams and lenses?

Thanks!

For storage, you can look at Lowe Pro's AW series of bags. These bags comes with additional rain cover to protect the bag and your gears from the rain.

If you intend to shoot in the rain, the best would be an underwater casing, but it is very costly. If you are using a 1Ds or 1D togther with L lenses, then it should be able to withstand light rain.

How much are these underwater casings? If I'm only planning to use it in wet weather (aka rain :)), I don't think there's a need for a superbly sealed and highly rated waterproof system, just some basic sealing?

underwater casing easily cost around $2000. But these are for sealed underwater environment that can withstand pressure.
I don't think you need or want to use them on land.... it will look weird.;)

How much are these underwater casings? If I'm only planning to use it in wet weather (aka rain :)), I don't think there's a need for a superbly sealed and highly rated waterproof system, just some basic sealing?

Basic sealing - ziplock bag - sure is the right term.

Basic sealing - ziplock bag - sure is the right term.

Agree, I usually travel with many zip-locks.. Quite useful in most weather conditions..
I found it a real help in keeping my sweat off the cam too..

Went trekking in Taman Negara a few years back..
Think my cam got more soaking from my sweat than the occasional downpour..

Also, you can borrow books from library concerning travel-/weather-proofing of cams..
Usually real cheap and useful suggestions from those who have been-there-done-that..

Cheers! :)

use those transparent plastic food wraps.. cheap and good. and it fits snugly to the camera body. and u can access the buttons and controls. no problems.

L lenses are usually weather sealed.

Hi all,
Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions. Will possibly go for the ziplock bags, seems like it is the most convenient and economical option now....:) .

use those transparent plastic food wraps.. cheap and good. and it fits snugly to the camera body. and u can access the buttons and controls. no problems.

L lenses are usually weather sealed.

wah clingfilm! sounds good leh... cheap also... Maybe use to wrap all the seals and stuff... heh

there is this raincoat for camera and lens, i think is less than $20.
You can find it at MScolour

Status
Not open for further replies.