Wessex Estate @Portsdown - Shooting not allowed ?

papermelodydoll

Feb 12, 2009
so I was shooting a couple at Wessex Estate when this guy approached us (i think he's one of the resident there?)
and told us firmly this is private property and that no shootings are allowed here.

We wasnt climbing over the walls nor were we going into the houses. Just merely standing on the road. oh nor were we making a din or whatsnot..

(I do know its State Land there though)

So my question is, is shooting there really against the law ?

I had seen quite a number of wedding couples shooting there as well...
Any one have any idea please?

Last time I was hanging around Rochester Park area when mata on patrol stopped me to check my IC, ask me what I was doing around that area. I said I was trying to take pictures of the houses there. Asked if that is OK. And the officer said that as long as I don't climb the fence, it's okay.

yah la, of course can find other venues. but its abit put-off to have someone 'chasing' you off.. so im wondering if does he have the "rights" to.. although he might be a resident.

synapseman, ooh that was helpful. thanks.

anyone had ran into similar situations before too ?

tell them, they only own their land property, anything outside their land property is government property (state land) and there is no sign board there saying you cannot enter this place/road.

Last edited:
so I was shooting a couple at Wessex Estate when this guy approached us (i think he's one of the resident there?)
and told us firmly this is private property and that no shootings are allowed here.

We wasnt climbing over the walls nor were we going into the houses. Just merely standing on the road. oh nor were we making a din or whatsnot..

just take , don't care!

Shoot there b4. It's not any private property as long u don't go into their compound. The are some weird people there which hates to see people around. That area was my childhood to teenage days ~ ;p

Probably an overzealous resident. I believe it's ok to shoot there, seeing so many wedding shoots there. There's some great photographers offices/studios based there in the location too. :sweatsm:

worst suggestion, if he didn't do anything wrong, why he has to move???????

im a She actually. :bsmilie:
but anyhow, yeah I was feeling rather exasperate cause i wasnt doing anything like climbing over the walls/peeking into the windows etc.
we were just on the road.

Well thats for all the replies. I would have to check the singapore law was i doing anything illegal by shooting there. It gets rather unsettling .. did I mention i noticed he stood a rather far distance away and observe us afew times we were there..

stitch
Ooh u lived there once? How as it like? The people there I meant.

sbs99
Yeah man, exactly. and are these "residences" not allowed to shoot there as well ?

sinned79
Thanks! I would have to check to double confirm, least he go call the police. >_>

worst suggestion, if he didn't do anything wrong, why he has to move???????

I have my reasons for your assumed worst suggestion...if the client pays by the hour...and someone i.e. the security guard or resident tells u that u can't shoot there...do you think the couple will be comfortable, and I personally feels kinda disturbed by that too ..what if the person keeps hovering around...

As photographers don't we have a mind of our own...to find another location asap and continue shooting...there is a railway track near the area...open fields...there is so much room for creativity unless in your assumption that melody isn't creative enough to take her shoot elsewhere...or perhaps even yourself?

Yes melody nv do anything wrong...but as the photographer u have to be selfless and find a alternative solution, make the couple comfortable...why charge into the problem head on...

maybe a better way is to ask the person who stopped you politely where are the areas we can shoot or whether can we just take another 30mins to finish what we've already started...

ninelives...if you are a professional. u need to be a lil more tactful and not be rash...i take no offence in your reply to my suggestion :D

Stand along the main road and shoot.
That is under LTA. Not illegal. ;)

I have my reasons for your assumed worst suggestion...if the client pays by the hour...and someone i.e. the security guard or resident tells u that u can't shoot there...do you think the couple will be comfortable, and I personally feels kinda disturbed by that too ..what if the person keeps hovering around...

As photographers don't we have a mind of our own...to find another location asap and continue shooting...there is a railway track near the area...open fields...there is so much room for creativity unless in your assumption that melody isn't creative enough to take her shoot elsewhere...or perhaps even yourself?

Yes melody nv do anything wrong...but as the photographer u have to be selfless and find a alternative solution, make the couple comfortable...why charge into the problem head on...

maybe a better way is to ask the person who stopped you politely where are the areas we can shoot or whether can we just take another 30mins to finish what we've already started...

ninelives...if you are a professional. u need to be a lil more tactful and not be rash...i take no offence in your reply to my suggestion :D

HI,

From Lumiere (long time no see, bro) point of view, the client is important; is true, but to answer the TS query; it is not against the law.

:)

nay its alright.. I had already decided against going there.
bryan's right, that guy WAS hovering around and observing us. making myself and of course the couple extremely umcomfty.

if he is so possessive or protective, there's nothing much I can do .. say if the guy chooses to hover around, be it shooting at the open soccer field or shooting on the main road.. actually that's what we were doing, shooting on the main road.

(he actually walked in between me and my couple while we were shooting and mumbled something to us, i cant catch what he was talking about. That was the first time and I was clueless about him being 'annoyed' with us, during that time.)

I was just feeling rather.. hmm upset over being Told to leave. hence wondering does he have the Rights to, despite him being a residence there. Since I certainly did not climbed any walls nor did I break any windows.

and now, my biggest headache is how to break it to my future couples im being "bar" from that place. hahhaa.

Last edited:

agree with Bryan,

I'm not that type of die die must shoot people, I have to take care of my customers first.

I have encounter weddiing couple suggest go here go there to shoot, I will let them know if I have some concern about the venue, the last thing I want is get stuck somewhere with my wedding couple unable to shoot or get everyone into trouble.

There was once I was standing along Pelton Canal in MacPherson Estate, on public area. A resident also came out to shout "What are you doing!". Funny lah, these chaps.