cheguthamrin

Jul 14, 2007
3007762647_9efb62f9d9.jpg

Exposure: 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 18 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: -4/3 EV

Found a new spot for the Singapore skyline - from the Marina Barrage. Took this just after the sun disappeared behind the skyscrapers in 18mm to show and emphasis the vastness of the sky above. We;re indeed so small in comparison, even the tallest building is no match to nature. The cloud formation was surprisingly interesting; and I'm glad I did not miss out on that. I've had a few shots moments before this, with the sun peering in between the buildings, but the sky wasnt showing the different shades of colour, just gold.

Has there been anything I might have missed out for this shot?

Colours are good and effective.
I feel you have achieved what you expected out of the photograph - 'to show and emphasis the vastness of the sky above'. Yes, our tallest buildings really pale in comparison.
Oh, did I mention, nice clouds too.

if you had a UWA, wow the picture will rock even more. haha

Good shot, easy to understand message (as with the title) and good execution. The only problem I spot is that the posted photo is too small. 900x600 would be better.

Cheers,
Zexun

Colours are good and effective.
I feel you have achieved what you expected out of the photograph - 'to show and emphasis the vastness of the sky above'. Yes, our tallest buildings really pale in comparison.
Oh, did I mention, nice clouds too.
Thanks. What's your thoughts if I were to do it in pano?

if you had a UWA, wow the picture will rock even more. haha
IF only... heh... there's always a second time to get there. Just that the sky doesnt gurantee the same cloud formation.

Good shot, easy to understand message (as with the title) and good execution. The only problem I spot is that the posted photo is too small. 900x600 would be better.

Cheers,
Zexun
Thanks Zexun; the larger version can be viewed here

good stuff, exposure is really personal preference, but i prefer half a stop more or so, to brighten up the colors.

one nitpick is that the buildings are too centrally placed. i would compose this with them on the bottom left, and that beautiful huge dramatic cloud there on the top right, i think it will be a wee bit more balanced.

love that colour on the cloud formation! really good blend of orange and gold. beautiful timing.
Thanks! Its been one good shot after so long.

good stuff, exposure is really personal preference, but i prefer half a stop more or so, to brighten up the colors.

one nitpick is that the buildings are too centrally placed. i would compose this with them on the bottom left, and that beautiful huge dramatic cloud there on the top right, i think it will be a wee bit more balanced.
To get you saying "good stuff" - is an honour for me :)
Exposure IS personal pref, indeed. I was damn happy with this one, no PP needed, just a little perhaps to correct any tilt, and resize. Of course, this one need no HDR.

I realised about the "centralisation" part hehe, but actually the initial intention was to stich up more pics for pano. Will post it up once done.

Thanks again for the supporting comments!

You need to tilt the picture a little for a bit of edge in your photo ;-P

I like the skylines, not sure about the excessive skies.

You need to tilt the picture a little for a bit of edge in your photo ;-P

I like the skylines, not sure about the excessive skies.
Tilt...? To the right, or left? Hmmmm... what kinda edge you mean?

I was just kidding, great photo!

objective achieved. maybe should attempt this with uwa. good one! :)

I think the massage write up is better then the picture. The sky is way too much and it break the rule of 1/3 in a picture. Thats why it's awkward.
sometimes, less is better :)
Keep shooting!

I think the massage write up is better then the picture. The sky is way too much and it break the rule of 1/3 in a picture. Thats why it's awkward.
sometimes, less is better :)
Keep shooting!

less is more sounds more cool.

anyways, this is where i disagree, rules are just guidelines. here the sky is more than sufficient to grip anyone by the balls. it is NOT important to introduce a mass of blackness to make up a third just because one is blindly following, you end up removing part of the sky simply to follow a guideline (which can be broken).

take a look at any good landscape phtoographer's reflection photograph. they usually place the horizon on the half. :angel: that is one strong case against the rule of thirds.

less is more sounds more cool.

anyways, this is where i disagree, rules are just guidelines. here the sky is more than sufficient to grip anyone by the balls. it is NOT important to introduce a mass of blackness to make up a third just because one is blindly following, you end up removing part of the sky simply to follow a guideline (which can be broken).

take a look at any good landscape phtoographer's reflection photograph. they usually place the horizon on the half. :angel: that is one strong case against the rule of thirds.

As Far as I can see from your pictures U did not break the rule! Perhaps, enlighten me further!
Thanks in advance!

As Far as I can see from your pictures U did not break the rule! Perhaps, enlighten me further!
Thanks in advance!

it's simple

you just haven't seen all the pictures

these 2 are the best examples:
(1) - very similar to the one here
(2)

horizon in the middle.

more split horizons, this time reflections
(3)
(4)

marc adamus has split horizons here:
(1)
(2)
(3)

among many others, of course you can choose to say that he is not a good photographer, but i think you'll have millions to disagree vehemently with you.

this is lifted off here

You might want to ignore the Rule of Thirds when:

* Your main subject matter is too large to fit comfortably at one of the imaginary intersection points. You might find that positioning an object at the "correct" location crops it at the top, bottom, or side. Move it a bit to another point in your composition if you need to see the whole thing.

* Centering the image would help illustrate a concept. Perhaps you want to show your subject surrounded on all sides by adversity or a threatening environment. Placing the subject at one of the intersection points implies motion or direction, as if the subject were about to flee the picture entirely. However, putting the center of interest in the very center of the picture gives the subject nowhere to hide.

* You want to show symmetry. Centering a symmetrically oriented subject that's located in a symmetrically oriented background can produce a harmonious, geometric pattern that is pleasing, even if it is a bit static. If the subject itself makes you think of motion, a square image can even boast a bit of "movement," as shown in Figure 2.

first point applies here. the main subject IS the sky. :)

that said, i've already mentioned that the photo works better with the buildings moved slightly to the left. this has to do with the idea of balance, rather than "rule of thirds", but to be honest i don't think it's that important here.

Last edited:
and another of my favourite photographers for seascapes, greenage on flickr, he works with squares a lot

(1)
(2)
(3)

eikin's very memorable diamond fuji series also uses a lot of split horizon

link
here too

Status
Not open for further replies.