Welcome a newb

lueyh

Dec 11, 2013
Altadena, CA
Hi everyone i have really gotten into collecting toys, I would love to learn to shoot them as well. I also have a Corgi named Desi and we go to alot of local Corgi meets that i want to learn to shoot for.
I have a Nikon D3100 with a 18-55mm lens that i use to shoot things but have yet to take it out of auto since i dont know what i am doing any suggestions? I will also be going to comic-con next year so any tips there will help too.

Hi, welcome to CS.

You may want to take some time and digest the information on how your camera works as well as the stuffs you can control like ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture, Metering... If you are clueless about the technical aspects, there's isn't much point to get out of the AUTO mode..

Photography Notes For Newbies

Beyond this point is practising your composition skills and 'seeing' the light. Here's are some articles you can consider reading.

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/04/12/10-rules-of-photo-composition-and-why-they-work/
http://digital-photography-school.com/5-elements-of-composition-in-photography

Of course there are many other guides out there. But just remember that it's just some guidelines, break them if you must (for a good reason I hope)

Hope this helps.

Hi everyone i have really gotten into collecting toys, I would love to learn to shoot them as well. I also have a Corgi named Desi and we go to alot of local Corgi meets that i want to learn to shoot for.
I have a Nikon D3100 with a 18-55mm lens that i use to shoot things but have yet to take it out of auto since i dont know what i am doing any suggestions? I will also be going to comic-con next year so any tips there will help too.

Beside reading on the photography notes in this forum and the net, my advise to you is to practice. Get yourself an external flash, for a starter, you really do not need to get the high end flashes of Nikon, look to Nissin and Yongnuo, both offer excellent flash for a fraction of the cost.

Since you are going for comic con next year, it would be good if you can attend some other events that is bound to occur locally soon and practice on your flash photography. Most events are more or less the same and so you would get plenty of practice by the time you go for the comic con.

As for pet photography, you need to practice alot too. Look at the net, pick out the few photos that you like, think of how they achieve that effect, then practice, practice, practice.

Firstly, welcome to you.

Welcome to ClubSNAP.

Be sure to read some of the stickies. It will be a great start for you.