Weird Roblems With New Monitor And Photoshop

neubdetat

Dec 6, 2008
Singapore
gallery.mac.com
Hello all I hope you can help me with this weird problem.

I just got the ASUS P246Q. Calibrated yards yada. Worked in sRGB colour space. Save to web. Post on Facebook and suddenly my photo was more saturated then what I originally intended.

Opened the original jpeg with Windows Preview and the colours are accurate.

Go back into photoshops and tried to save without tag. Repost. No difference.

Then I was fiddling around and changed my work space to Monitor RGB and low and behold its exactly like the photo I put on Facebook.

So what have I messed up that made the photo save according to my Monitor RGB rather than sRGB? I'm interested in this solely because I'd like to have consistency across my devices. All I want is for my photos, on the same monitor, to have the same colour on the web, in Windows and in Photoshop.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Saving as SRGB is correct. You may not have noticed this previously as the calibration on your old monitor could have been different. Also, browser support for colour profiles has improved, but still isn't all that good. See Color management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. So even with a calibrated monitor, the colours may still look different. But shouldn't be off by that much right?

Basically, if you save as monitor RGB, colours will only look correct on your computer. If you save as SRGB, then there is a better chance that whoever sees it on their end will see the colours you got in photoshop, but this is provided they open your photo in a colour-aware application like photoshop or lightroom.

Hello all I hope you can help me with this weird problem.

I just got the ASUS P246Q. Calibrated yards yada. Worked in sRGB colour space. Save to web. Post on Facebook and suddenly my photo was more saturated then what I originally intended.

Opened the original jpeg with Windows Preview and the colours are accurate.

Go back into photoshops and tried to save without tag. Repost. No difference.

Then I was fiddling around and changed my work space to Monitor RGB and low and behold its exactly like the photo I put on Facebook.

So what have I messed up that made the photo save according to my Monitor RGB rather than sRGB? I'm interested in this solely because I'd like to have consistency across my devices. All I want is for my photos, on the same monitor, to have the same colour on the web, in Windows and in Photoshop.

Thanks for the help in advance!

agree with that Plato said...

just a question, what browser did you use?... like Plato mentioned, some browsers are not colour managed, so the problem could be at the browser end... and how did you profile your monitor... not questioning your workflow, just that the info could help pinpoint the issue involved :)

Hi everyone.

I think I found the problem.

You were right. It's because my browser was not colour managed.

It was chrome

I had to add -enable-color-management or something to the end of the thing and now it displays correctly across all my other devices and platforms

Thank you for your help!

On a new note. Anyone can recommend a Windows alternative to iPhoto (Please don't say Lightroom or Bridge, it's not really the same thing)?

Last edited:
On a new note. Anyone can recommend a Windows alternative to iPhoto (Please don't say Lightroom or Bridge, it's not really the same thing)?

They are the same, a photo editing tool with its own library/catalogs. What specific feature do you need on the iPhoto?