Weird reason being chased away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ah Pao

Nov 7, 2003
Singapore
www.facebook.com
Last sunday I was helping my friends take some shots, so we went around the Citylink Mall and Suntec Convention Ctr. It's my first time taking posed photos in these areas before, so I wasn't too sure about their policy of taking photos in their property. More or less I know I'll be chased away, so thinking of doing a hit-and-run.

So at Citylink Mall, soon enough, we were approached by a security guard...guess what was the reason he gave?

"Sorry, this is a private property with public access, and some people don't like their faces in the photos...we don't want to get complaints from the public later..."

Eh...funny reason...anyway complied and left. Complaints from public? :confused:

At least at Suntec the reason was more plausible, citing terrorism and the fact that ministers frequent the place...that one I can understand. But the Citylink Mall one is really weird...:dunno:

How do you people get over such red tape?

Just put yourself in the shoes of the security guard. What he thinks and says, is what he hopes you should do.

So that's how you should get it over with.

take a smaller camera and dress like tourist

if get caught, try again another day :p

there was once when i meet up a buyer at city hall mrt to sell a filter

the buyer took out a SLR and try out the filter, and later a MRT staff approach us and told us no photo taking allowed because the public will complain :dunno:

i dun think the staff will make noise if we dress like tourist and use a P&S

make 2 sign boards (warning the public not to pass through if they mind their faces in your photos) and put them on 2 stands. next time bring it along and put them about 20 metres away from your location of shoot. ;p

espn said:
Just put yourself in the shoes of the security guard. What he thinks and says, is what he hopes you should do.

So that's how you should get it over with.

I'm fine with the security guards doing their job, but it's funny how they give all kinds of weird reasons...

I've seen wedding photos taken in Suntec Convention Ctr before; that was where I got my inspiration. Applied for permit?

Ah Pao said:
I'm fine with the security guards doing their job, but it's funny how they give all kinds of weird reasons...

I've seen wedding photos taken in Suntec Convention Ctr before; that was where I got my inspiration. Applied for permit?
i would assume so.

Ah Pao said:

i tried to apply for a permit for a mini shoot some time ago.
it'll cost some $$ or so that was the reply i got. quite a hefty fee.

decided to do a hit-n-run instead.

Ah Pao said:

Like I said, they just needed to do their jobs, and very likely they aren't very articulate or able to support their requests as it's probably their manager's decision & sorts :)

Sometimes the security can be very helpful lah...
End of last year I brought some Thai photographers and models to Merlion Park and shoot the models in front of the Merlion etc. As normal, within 5-10 minutes the security arrived and said no commerical photography allowed. Then we asked him how then? He told us we needed approval from management to shoot. Then we asked him how to get the approval? He said we needed to fill in a form. So I filled in the form, and the security actually made the call to locate the management supervisor and run all the way there to get the form approved. :thumbsup:
And this is the shot to prove that...
DSC_4818ps1.jpg

They are just doing their job, and I think we should be accomodating to them as they are to me.

I've also encountered security guard who called their supervisors when I was shooting a couple at their premises, however, not as lucky as Astin, mine didn't get approved.

Funny thing is, earlier we were at a foreign bank's land, the security guard gave us about 10-20mins to finish our shot, they just wanted to be accomodating to us and yet do their jobs.

Just leave happily lor.

Wai said:
take a smaller camera and dress like tourist

if get caught, try again another day :p

there was once when i meet up a buyer at city hall mrt to sell a filter

the buyer took out a SLR and try out the filter, and later a MRT staff approach us and told us no photo taking allowed because the public will complain :dunno:

i dun think the staff will make noise if we dress like tourist and use a P&S

Ok.....no wonder the MRT staff keeps looking at me on Mon when me and lynch were pointing his 350D everywhere around the station and I took a picture of the MRT staff ! Oops.........

espn said:
They are just doing their job, and I think we should be accomodating to them as they are to me.

I've also encountered security guard who called their supervisors when I was shooting a couple at their premises, however, not as lucky as Astin, mine didn't get approved.

Funny thing is, earlier we were at a foreign bank's land, the security guard gave us about 10-20mins to finish our shot, they just wanted to be accomodating to us and yet do their jobs.

Just leave happily lor.
they will selectively do their job. if you are a foreigner, and I meant caucasian, the chances of you being "harassed" by these rent-a-cop is much less. We tried it, lent my cameras to a German friend of mine, he was never approached by the rent-a-cop, but me, well, same fate as everyone else.

Nah... No nit. Juz pose as a Japanese or a Korean will do.... :D No disguises and all of us have this 'asian look' thing.

I never had any problems shooting in train stations, street shoots when I was in Aussie. :) Maybe its the 'tourist' thing.

Try to learn "Okay", "Thank You" in Japanese/korean accent and act blur all the way, pretending you don't know what he is talking about and continue shooting? :bsmilie:

Drudkh said:
make 2 sign boards (warning the public not to pass through if they mind their faces in your photos) and put them on 2 stands. next time bring it along and put them about 20 metres away from your location of shoot. ;p

haha ya rite...use the triangle plate hor....remember to on hazard lights...

:bigeyes:

if u really wanna hit and run...i guess u have to be really really fast... buten once again...its pte property ... so i guess getting some sorf of permission would be good too

cheers..

Was told this by Esplanade Security officer:
"As long as you're doing personal shots, we don't mind. However, if you're shooting and publicising the shots later, you'll need approval from our management."

So, you have the right to shoot for personal use. (just don't take pics of pillars or walls or you might be deemed as a terrorist)

Status
Not open for further replies.